g12345567

1SM Digital Reception issuses Sydney

Anybody else experiencing audio dropouts on 1sm radio station with there digital radio?

There Internet stream is fine no dropouts. Yet when I listen to there digital stream on a DAB+ radio the signal drops out for a second or two a few times every minute and is very annoying to listen to.

On a portable radio it goes blank .. On a Yamaha stereo it makes an annoying buzzing noise every time the audio drops out several time a minute. Then resumes playing.

Have no audio issues with other digital radio stations. My signal is perfect as I am only roughly 750m as the crow flies from the digital repeater transmitter that can clearly be seen from my place.

Edited by g12345567

We are getting the same thing on Triple M. Yamaha tuner connected to external TV antenna with the tuner reporting 100% signal quality. It really is a dud technology DAB.

7 hours ago, lizclinton said:

It really is a dud technology DAB

To make a slight digression, the tech isn't the dud part rather, it's the way in which it is being used and presented to the listener, ie bandwidth and bitrates, better than FM but that is a whole 'nother can of worms which has been done past the point of death.
I think that because it isn't the main method of promulgation - as far as the broadcasters who also have a presence on the FM and/or AM band go - they are not monitoring their digital off air as much as they could so they are not particularly perturbed if it goes awry. And because the number of listeners is far less than the other methods (AM, FM) the number of listeners complaining is also far less, if there is any at all (complaining that is). The other thing is that some of them at least make it very difficult to talk to someone or to place a complaint with regard to technical issues.

As for the issue with regard to the initial post and then the follow up of the second it sounds like a transmitter problem. So do you complain to TXA or BA or whoever it is that looks after the actual site or do you try to submit a complaint to one of the stations using the facility?

2SM, FUN & ZOO have had these sporadic bursts of metallic noise for around two years now and I've noticed Triple M has started doing it over the past few weeks. No doubt AM and FM will always be the primary transmission method as DAB really struggles to cover the licence area and sound quality is still far better on FM though the AM stations do get a lift on DAB if your lucky enough to only ever travel in the Eastern half of the city.

DAB+ needs a lot of work in this country, more transmission towers wouldnt be a bad idea

its a shame because some of the stations are absolutely brilliant, like BUDDHA Radio, but no sooner do i get comfortable with no ads and steady music, ... it drops out, comes back, drifts out again ...

i would cringe driving past a parked SUV with an open door, oops, yep, gone again for 50 metres

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MLXXX
      In another thread there's been discussion of the the rather poor audio quality currently on offer by most of the DAB+ broadcast services in Australia. Here is part of a recent post from that thread:

I'd refer readers to that thread in the first instance for background: 

Rather than a number of us separately authoring up a form of words I wonder whether we could try to agree in this thread on some basic dot points so that someone can draft a simple easy to understand petition wording. We might then be able to use an off-the-shelf petition site to help gather signatures. Alternatively individuals could contact the ACMA, their local Federal member, et al, directly. 

So I hereby invite dot points!!!
    • By alanh
      http://media.nxp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=254228&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2233706
      Alanh
    • By Ron12
      According to my rough calculations which are based on publicly available data, DAB+ accounts for just under 20% of all radio listening in the 5 mainland state capitals (19.9%) by time spent listening.  What’s more, the whole-of-audience time spent listening to DAB+ (DAB+ audience x time spent listening) has increased by over 5% in each of the last two DAB+ surveys of 2016.
      As a comparison, the share of radio listening for DAB/DAB+ in the UK in the 2nd quarter of 2015 was 26.7%.  It was 31.2% the same time in 2016.  It was 19.1% in the 12 months to June 2012, so Australia’s 5 mainland capitals are only four years or so behind the UK.  Not bad given that Australia officially launched DAB+ 14 years after DAB was launched in London and 11 years after it was launched in the rest of the UK.
    • By MLXXX
      If anyone can supply me with a link to an official file considered to represent "FM quality", or an official definition, I'd be obliged. Over the years I've seen many references to "FM quality" but no actual definition, or sample file.

My own experience is that using an older horizontally polarised external TV antenna connected to a medium quality AVR in a high signal strength metroplolitan reception area provides me with reception with a subjectively very good audio quality. For my ears, for a range of program material, it is markedly better than 48kbps DAB+, somewhat better than 64kbps DAB+. For my ears for classical music, it is noticeably better than 80kbps DAB+. I've found a modern car FM radio can also perform well, though with greater noise and subject to occasional glitches from multipath reception as the car moves along the road.

The poor audio quality of real life DAB+ and real life DRM relative to FM radio in a high signal strength reception zone has been mentioned a number of times on this forum over the years. I do not however recall the following research paper having been mentioned or discussed. I happened across it today and thought some forum members beyond myself might find it to be of interest, despite it having been published back in 2013!

Research published in 2013 concluded that a very high bitrate was required to achieve FM quality. This was certainly much more than the 48 or 64kbps commonly used in Australia for DAB+, or the even lower audio bitrates commonly used internationally for DRM30 broadcasting. Access to the full paper requires payment of a fee or possible free access at the discretion of the authors. For the purpose of this thread I will merely rely on:
      1. The freely available abstract of the paper.
      2. Comments from two sources, being observations by people who have read the paper and prepared relatively formal remarks.

Off we go then!
      1. The abstract, accessible at http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=16969:-
      AES E-LIBRARY
      Perceived Audio Quality of Realistic FM and DAB+ Radio Broadcasting Systems
      The perceived audio quality of a digital broadcasting system (such as DAB+) is dependent on the type of coding and bit rates selected. Because of bandwidth constraints, the required number of channels, and conflicting auxiliary services, audio quality is sometimes degraded. In designing a broadcast system, it is necessary to have well-defined criteria for minimally acceptable quality. Two studies explored quality criteria and how quality degrades for various bit rates. For DAB+ the subchannel rate should not be less than the currently available maximum of 192 kbits/s for a stereo signal, which would be comparable to the quality of a modern FM system. Rates below 160 kbit/s can significantly degrade certain types of program material. To be truly perceptually transparent, bits rates of close to 300 kbits/s may be needed when using the current generation of coders.
      Authors:
      Berg, Jan; Bustad, Christofer; Jonsson, Lars; Mossberg, Lars; Nyberg, Dan

Affiliations:
      Luleå University of Technology, Piteå, Sweden; Swedish Radio, Stockholm, Sweden; Swedish National Laboratory of Forensic Science - SKL, Linköping, Sweden
      (See document for exact affiliation information.)

2. Comments at http://www.radiojackie.com/im/Digital%20radio%20AES%20research.doc

DIGITAL RADIO – AES RESEARCH

An important new study has been published in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society: Perceived Audio Quality of Realistic FM and DAB+ Radio Broadcasting Systems.

Many different music and speech samples were used in listening tests with the conclusion that a bit rate "close to 300 kbit/s" is required to avoid falling below FM quality.
      Neither UK-type DAB (from 1985) nor DAB+ (from 2007) are capable of offering this.

This research is significant for two reasons.
      - For the first time, comparisons are made between digital radio and realistic FM radio.
      - Processed audio was used, rather than unprocessed sounds.
         Processed audio (e.g. 'Optimod') is universal in radio.

Previous work, with unprocessed sounds, had suggested the necessity of 320 kbit/s
      to pass the perceptual transparency and statistical undetectability point.
      This was adopted by the BBC in 2010 for HD Sound in iPlayer.

These results with processed audio dispel the notion that the sound quality presently possible via digital radio is found inferior by only a tiny minority of audiophiles.

This new evidence, specifically examining everyday radio audio, supports the view that DAB has a role as a supplementary platform but could never prove satisfactory as the sole outlet over the airwaves.

Trevor Brook - 11 November 2013
      Surrey Electronics  - radiofax.org - Editor: radiojackie.com

3. Comments at http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/2013/11/what-bitrate-is-needed-to-sound-like-analog-fm/
      What bitrate is needed to sound like analog FM?
      By Paul Thurst, on November 25th, 2013 7 comments 
      As it turns out, 300 kbp/s or greater.  At least in critical listening environments according to the paper titled Perceived Audio Quality of Realistic FM and DAB+ Radio Broadcasting Systems (.pdf) published by the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. This work was done by group in Sweden and made various observations with different program material and listening subjects. Each person was given a sample of analog FM audio to listen to, then they listened to various audio selections which were using bit reduction algorithms (AKA CODEC or Compression) and graded each one.  The methodology is very thorough and there is little left for subjective interpretation.
      In less critical listening environments, bit rates of 160-192 kbp/s will work.
      [Note: The article immediately above goes on to provide a detailed table.]
      I personally am not at all surprised at the reported findings!
    • By alanh
      http://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/ebu/files/Publications/EBU-MIS%20-%20Digital%20Radio%20Report%202016.pdf
      The EBU is the European Broadcasting Union which public broadcasters (TV and Radio) over a population of over 500 million people.
      Alanh
    • By alanh
      http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/personal-technology/lgs-digital-radio-smartphone-will-come-to-australia/news-story/7ca53d7a98f335074e00eaf137ff0cfc
      Alanh
    • By g12345567
      Thanks to Ozabargain.
      For those who may have missed this deal. Kmart currently have the Audiosonic Nora Mantle DAB+ portable radio on clearance for $9.
      Features:
      DAB+/FM radio
      Autoscan Function
      Preset and save up to 10 Radio stations each DAB+ and FM band.
      Alarm with sleep functionality
      LCD Display
      Rechargeable Lithium Battery (not removable)
      4-6 hours playtime
      Earphone jack (confirmed stereo out)