Kezzbot

Krix speaker dilemma.

9 posts in this topic

I own some Krix Harmonix mk1 speakers and am thinking of selling them and buying some Krix acoustix MK2 speakers for the same price. The Acoustics will replace the harmonix has my mains. Do you think that they will be equal to or better then my 9 year old harmonix for 5.1 home theatre use.

I'm guessing that the sound quality will be better and I won't miss low end of the harmonix if I upgrade my sub also?

Thoughts suggestions?d26e3c6af8b8ca441152c2b7a4d6b17b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Edited by Kezzbot

Just a few thoughts, I feel i may loose some low end positional volume from the mains and clarity of the midrange during intense scenes, due to the Acoustix only being 2-way. But to me this a a very "may" as i've heard that the Acoustix do low end quite well and during intense scenes the slight loss in midrange quality will be probably unnoticeable. 

Mains only contribute to around 30% to HT anyway?...

without being able to to a b comparisons I think ill take a punt.

All part of the fun. :)

Hi Kezzbot,

Can I ask the reasoning behind the change, that will help in deciding if it's a worthwhile swap. Are you looking to downsize?

Also, what centre channel speaker do you have?

Cheers,

Michael

My center is a Vortex Mk2. I'm changing my setup because i'm moving interstate and dont have the moving boxes. It would cost me around $200 for you guys to send new boxes i so was entertaining the option of selling the Harmonix and swapping to a new pair of Acoustix after the move in the belief that it may be even an upgrade for 99% home theatre use. Am i making a mistake?

1 hour ago, Kezzbot said:

My center is a Vortex Mk2. I'm changing my setup because i'm moving interstate and dont have the moving boxes. It would cost me around $200 for you guys to send new boxes i so was entertaining the option of selling the Harmonix and swapping to a new pair of Acoustix after the move in the belief that it may be even an upgrade for 99% home theatre use. Am i making a mistake?

Hi Kezz, yes sadly shipping the boxes can work out a little expensive due to needing to ship the cartons in their 'assembled' state to house the foam etc, increasing the freight volume and cost. Saying that, the cost of the freight is only a fraction of the speakers themselves, so some may see that as quite acceptable and saves the hassle of needing to go through the process of selling. That's a personal choice though really.

The Harmonix MK1 are still an extremely capable speaker and a favourite among many. Even though they don't have the ring radiator tweeter found in the Acoustix Mk2, they still have lower extension, more output and a dedicated midrange driver. Your Vortex is also a 3 way with the same midrange and bass drivers, so it's worth taking into account the front soundstage as a whole. I would say mains are still used quite considerably through movie soundtracks and would likely contribute to more than 30% of home theatre duties.

That's not to say that the Acoustix Mk2 aren't a fantastic speaker in their own right (they won the S+I Award 2015 for best speaker up to $4000!), or that they won't sound great with your Vortex (all our home entertainment speakers are timbre matched and so pair extremely well together) but I think it would be a stretch to say the Acoustix Mk2 will 'outperform' the Harmonix in your particular setup, considering all the points mentioned above. As much as I'd love to say yes, go and buy more Krix speakers, we don't want you eventually regretting the move so it's worthwhile having a good think about what you are wanting to achieve. For the cost of shipping the new cartons, it may be well worth it. If a new warranty and a more compact enclosure were of significant importance I'd suggest it's an easier decision.

Not sure how close you are to one of our dealers, but a visit may be worthwhile where you can hear the difference between the two first hand and help make up your mind. In regard to other products, not just subs, we try to use our discretion here and remain impartial. 3rd party reviews can be helpful and certainly doing your own comparisons is recommended. For many, there can also be more purchasing drivers than performance alone, including overall aesthetics, sizing, cabinet finish, country of engineering and manufacture, warranty, support and so on.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Krix Loudspeakers
2 people like this

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, Kezzbot said:

I own some Krix Harmonix mk1 speakers and am thinking of selling them and buying some Krix acoustix MK2 speakers for the same price. The Acoustics will replace the harmonix has my mains. Do you think that they will be equal to or better then my 9 year old harmonix for 5.1 home theatre use.

Another vote for keeping the 3 ways kezzbot . A dedicated midrange to take the stress of the tweeters high frequencies range it needs to cover and it also gives some leeway as to where the crossovers go :) There are places down in SA to revitalise surrounds and cones if they have been hard driven ? Ime sure you don't have foam surrounds and get salt damage though..

Try a pack and send quote for them ;)https://www.packsend.com.au/

Rubber surrounds. No they haven't been driven hard, no signs of age and i'm sure sound as good as the day they where born. They sound fantastic! 

Thanks for the suggestions, info and help guys. I've decided to keep the Harmonix.

I think i'll get the moving guys to wrap them in those stiff woolen blankets and cross my fingers.

im sure they will be fine~! :o  /cry

The Acoustics will remain a splinter in my mind till I get my hands on a pair and test them for myself... One day.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, Kezzbot said:

Rubber surrounds. No they haven't been driven hard, no signs of age and i'm sure sound as good as the day they where born. They sound fantastic! 

Thanks for the suggestions, info and help guys. I've decided to keep the Harmonix.

I think i'll get the moving guys to wrap them in those stiff woolen blankets and cross my fingers.

im sure they will be fine~! :o  /cry

The Acoustics will remain a splinter in my mind till I get my hands on a pair and test them for myself... One day.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them Kezz!

A quick note, and without trying to sound like a killjoy, we have had a substantial number of emails and calls over the years from people who have wrapped their speakers in blankets and crossed their fingers. There's been many cases of damage and resulting disputes with removalist companies about responsibility. Even blankets can "buff" the veneer finish and create shiny 'hotspots' all over the cabinet. You may need to be very, very specific with the removalists, as once they're hidden under a blanket they can get treated like everything else.

Best of luck with the move and let me know if you change your mind about the packaging!