xpl0sive

Philips Hue

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a Logitech Harmony Elite which has the ability to control smart lights from the remote, so I want to add some wifi downlights to my home theatre build. Philips do a GU10 model downlight globe which would work, but they're only 300 lumens. Just wondering if anyone here has used these in their theatre? The low light output worries me and they're quite expensive so I don't want to be wasting my money.

One way around this I suppose is to use more lights. I am putting some large framed movie prints on the back wall behind my seating, and just below the prints will be a floating shelf that will hold some movie collectibles. The plan was a row of 4 lights above this to light up the back wall area, and a row of 4 towards the front (don't need 4 at the front, but I just want to add 4 for aesthetics to match the rear). The room is 3.9 x 3.9. Do you think this would work fine? or overkill? If anyone has any other suggestions I'd like to hear it.

I'm using Phillips Hue lights with the same remote, however I'm using standard LED and strip LED lighting. They function fine and integrate well, I also use the Phillips light/motion sensor and wifi switch, generally you will pick them up cheaper at online retailers like amazon or eBay.. I agree they are expensive especially when you have a number of them.

JDH

ah ok, so you're not using the downlight variant? The standard bulbs certainly produce better light. Just won't suit a home theatre room where most people use downlights in the ceiling.

Down lights will create shadows to it's best to have them spaced equal. No large empty areas. Usually I like to space down lights about 1m from the wall.

I live the hue light strips aswell. Make great accent lighting behind stuff like TVs etc

Lifx does a GU10 fitting thats 650 lumens. Never used that one myself but my logitech control my lifx lamp globe pretty well.