Eli

Hacksaw Ridge Sound format

62 posts in this topic

Thanks cwt,yes I have the USA import,and watched the 4 k version ,as stated didnt notice any thing untoward on my "Lycra " screen

On 20/03/2017 at 9:54 AM, :) said:

sorry pimple elephant all comes to mind. in any case just want to watch the film. not into conspiracies around distribution of it. am sure theres all sorts go on.

Not really a conspiracy ... Cevolution is spot on and we are likely to see more of this sort if tactic in the future.

On 19/03/2017 at 11:55 AM, :) said:

i was about to grab it locally...doesnt this sh!t you ! 

might just wait till its on uhd... when ever that is ...

I have a UHD Copy with blu ray coming from Amazons due this week

On 19/03/2017 at 0:37 PM, ... said:

Bit of a trend with local releases lately.....<_<

Arrival -> 5.1 DTS HDMA

Doctor Strange -> only 5.1 DTS HDHR!!!  (is 7.1 DTS HDMA in the US & UK)

I also have Arrival UHD and Blu ray Coming out with other movies for US Amazins (Hacksaw)

Gere we go Again. Australia People are Second Class. Most People Don't buy from the US at Amazons and Cant buy 4k and Atmos Movies in Australia yet they are 4K and Atmos in the USA for the same movie.

On 3/19/2017 at 0:50 PM, Cevolution said:

Some is under statement. The U.S. 1080p Blu-ray should really be avoided due to the extreme amount of banding: 

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13342943&postcount=46568

In the image above that's more than just subtle banding from inadequate bit-depth. There are strong hints of quite different colours in the different bands. Something very odd has occurred.

In the opinion of one reviewer (at http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=11444 under the heading Transfer Quality):-

The banding issue is so bad on the Region A Blu-ray that the disc could be considered defective and should be recalled.

Edited by MLXXX

1 hour ago, MLXXX said:

In the image above that's more than just subtle banding from inadequate bit-depth. There are strong hints of quite different colours in the different bands. Something very odd has occurred.

In the opinion of one reviewer (at http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=11444 under the heading Transfer Quality):-

The guy that wrote the review you linked me to, goes by the name of StrayButler91 on Blu-ray.com, he is the member I was discussing this issue with in one of the links I posted earlier in this thread.

Lionsgate have a habit of putting out 1080p discs with crappy masters and video encodes, that are riddled with banding, they have been doing it for years. They often go all out for the audio on their releases, but their video masters and encodes for 1080p Blu-ray's are amongst the worst in the industry. Those that put audio first, like some on this site, just often don't notice. The U.S. 1080p version of Hacksaw Ridge is probably the worse I've encountered from Lionsgate. As you stated, something strange has occurred, however it's not an isolated incident, some other titles from Lionsgate have had similar issues:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=171583&position=14

Edit: Inserted a few words. Also corrected a spelling error.

Edited by Cevolution

I don't now why anyone thinks anything has changed from the studios attitude towards Australia, it's not just Lionsgate.

This is the reason I continue to buy from Amazon US, if you pre order it's not that much dearer than new release here, and almost guaranteed better quality, if you're prepared to wait you can get some good bargains, I recently got Captain Fantastic and Don't Breather $32aud delivered.

And of course the issues mentioned are why people still illegally download and why I have no sympathy for the greedy studio bastards when it happens.....

just as a heads up, curiosity got better of me. I ended up grabbing a local copy of hacksaw ridge. it a fantastic movie after all.

and boy is it a cracker in the PQ stakes ...

I have to also say I am 100% not a pixel peeper type, so from the outset I never set out to look for banding and such ... infact looking back on this thread I can say the banding identified in pics/scenes etc on the us release blu-ray are certainly not in my viewing present in the aussie release....

However....

I could not by any means NOT help notice the banding in the scene below on the aussie blu-ray release...

I kid you not if not seeing this gee am not sure what to say. this scene is the one where he is saying "just one more " just one more" I didnt get the time stamp but its towards the end of the movie last 20-30 min or so.

Its a pretty dark scene and with smoke and back lit...kind of thing probably not kind for banding/posteurisation. note i've used a dslr to best capture this ... it is pretty much as how it looks though exaggerated some what here with the camera shot close up... i.e. shot not taken from viewing position. and also note in movement this might be less obvious. its certainly something I noticed sitting back in the main viewing position so easily seen with movement.

this is one of the segments ...

32721036204_6004dfc1db_c.jpg

from another angle

33564502225_ddacc9da13_c.jpg

bit closer up,

33181383980_2861721034_c.jpg

32721153874_cd522d3b2b_c.jpg

closer again,

32720990874_61d1018a0b_c.jpg

this is from a segment of scene that follows,

33564630755_a2a6c53d22_c.jpg

however I must add re posteurisation/banding as far as the aussie release goes... this was it. I didnt notice anywhere else in the release...however its not something I seek out to see and I am not one of those that pixel peep either. and the blu-ray is a stunner PQ wise otherwise.

be interesting to see what the uhd is like PQ wise. 

the aussie release even though comes without atmos. I can tell you the neural X post processing of the DTS-HD MA track did bring out some great hight info. eg bullets whizzing around above and such.

obviously this is not 3D audio, but adds well to the experience and will be interesting to see how much better the atmos track wih the full 3D audio experience is for this.

I just thought I would mention MLXXX, the images that I posted on Blu-ray.com, which I posted links to in this thread, weren't screen captures, they were photos that I took with an iPhone, therefore the colours you see in the bands in these images aren't an accurate representation of what's on the disc. They were just meant to give people an idea of the differences between the two versions. The third link I posted was to actual screen caps, and are accurate to what's on the disc.

Isn't the banding due to the video being 8bit (256 steps) on BD and 10bit (1024) on UHD?  

1 hour ago, yorac said:

I don't now why anyone thinks anything has changed from the studios attitude towards Australia, it's not just Lionsgate.

This is the reason I continue to buy from Amazon US, if you pre order it's not that much dearer than new release here, and almost guaranteed better quality, if you're prepared to wait you can get some good bargains, I recently got Captain Fantastic and Don't Breather $32aud delivered.

And of course the issues mentioned are why people still illegally download and why I have no sympathy for the greedy studio bastards when it happens.....

Agree entirely ... but we did have a small golden period there where we were getting nearly as good as the US ... 4K seems to have brought all the old sloppy habits back out.

56 minutes ago, MarkTecher said:

Isn't the banding due to the video being 8bit (256 steps) on BD and 10bit (1024) on UHD?  

we shouldnt be seeing banding like this with blu-ray more case of mastering mis hap or sloppiness 

55 minutes ago, :) said:

we shouldnt be seeing banding like this with blu-ray more case of mastering mis hap or sloppiness 

Pretty poor isn't it... we pay a premium price to obtain best PQ and they release sloppy cr@p. :hmm:

The lack of 7.1 on some AUS releases is just an annoyance. We should be able to just grab a copy from the store, without extensively researching each title and be assured that it is the whole package.

If they keep playing games like this with UHD BD's too, they'll end up alienating their own customer base.

2 hours ago, MarkTecher said:

Not sure if that has happened in this case;

Much of this is likely the result of shooting exclusively on the Arri Alexa and Red Epic Dragon camera systems

JSmith :ninja:

1 hour ago, Chopsus said:

Agree entirely ... but we did have a small golden period there where we were getting nearly as good as the US ... 4K seems to have brought all the old sloppy habits back out.

Yes it was nice while it lasted but now it's back to Amazon orders for me.

8 hours ago, Cevolution said:

I just thought I would mention MLXXX, the images that I posted on Blu-ray.com, which I posted links to in this thread, weren't screen captures, they were photos that I took with an iPhone, therefore the colours you see in the bands in these images aren't an accurate representation of what's on the disc. They were just meant to give people an idea of the differences between the two versions. The third link I posted was to actual screen caps, and are accurate to what's on the disc.

Perhaps not accurate, but nicely indicative of the issue. I observed that the scene of light streaming onto a church wall provided a rainbow of colours for the wall, both in your image of that scene and in the third link. Assuming no strange lens aberrations, this appears to be a case of some crazy sort of colour enhancement gone wrong!  

Edit: there is some similarity to moiré patterns in the effect on the church wall, so an alternative cause could be a resampling (scaling) in mastering the Blu-ray, without sufficient filtering of high spatial frequencies. See for example the explanation and images at  http://www.japanistry.com/photography/moire-false-colour-anti-aliasing-filters/

On 3/19/2017 at 0:50 PM, Cevolution said:

Some is under statement. The U.S. 1080p Blu-ray should really be avoided due to the extreme amount of banding: 

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13342943&postcount=46568

Edited by MLXXX

I bought the Aussie release and neural x was good enough for me. The movie gave my sub a good workout with the battle ship artillery!!! Yes, I'd prefer the real atmos but my Oppo isn't modded so no US blu ray for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, tannins said:

my Oppo isn't modded

Why not? :D

JSmith :ninja:

Why not?
JSmith default_ninja.gif

I've just never bothered. I should. Wonder who does the mod in Sydney

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I don't have it yet, but there is a region hack that loads onto a USB and you simply insert into a USB port on the player (a 103D has 3USB ports).  This cost about $80US vs the $250 (or what ever the price) for the physical plug in mod. There is no "risk" here because removing it is just a case of pulling the USB.  You need the USB loaded to access the region hack for your A and C discs.  

That banding is what I would expect to see on an older Plasma.  I have an older 720 here and it does that from time to time.  That is shocking and we should not be seeing this sort of thing on new discs.  

23 minutes ago, MarkTecher said:

I don't have it yet, but there is a region hack that loads onto a USB and you simply insert into a USB port on the player (a 103D has 3USB ports).  This cost about $80US vs the $250 (or what ever the price) for the physical plug in mod. There is no "risk" here because removing it is just a case of pulling the USB.  You need the USB loaded to access the region hack for your A and C discs.  

That sounds like a great option Mark

3 hours ago, MarkTecher said:

http://www.gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html

there is also our local gatti web sells the hardware mod for the 203 and it is $120 shipped or fitted if want him to fit, but honestly it is 4 screws to install. 

I think the older oppo hardware mod was around $90 or so...