alanh

Prime7 Canberra has HD on channel 60

22 posts in this topic

I watched Prime7 in HD from a translator fed from Prime7 Canberra's transmitter. The picture quality of the national news program was in HD quality.

What other areas including GWN7 are transmitting in HD?

Alanh

Not sure what you are seeing Alan but I'm in Canberra and from what I can see prime's 7mate is still HD and 6, 60, etc are still SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked in excitement [well, as much as I could muster] too, but am only seeing the same 7Mate-HD with the rest as SD.

Channel 60 that is the only channel which can be in HD. Just like 20, 30, 50, 80. I saw the start of the news which was a Sydney story.

It was not 7mate program as it does not have the news.

Alanh

Edited by alanh

Alan, where were you when you saw this?  Canberra?  Somewhere else?   7 Queensland uses 6 & 6x in the Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba to distinguish it from 7 & 7x  from Brisbane.

Ron,

Please read my first post I saw the HD with my own eyes on that day.

I should add that Prime7 headquarters is in Canberra.

7 Qld has nothing to do with  Prime7, as they are different companies.

Alanh

Edited by alanh

Digitalj,

Channel 60 in Canberra is not redirected to 7mate because 7mate does not contain news bulletins. Remember that Prime7 North Coast comes from a different outlet from MediaHup complete with location applicable advertising.

In Canberra Prime7HD is downscaled to SD prior to transmission on channel 6.

Some TVs you can relabel channels so for example you select channel 6 on the remote control, but the TV actually selects channel 60.

Alanh

Edited by alanh

So Alan, do you still believe Prime is transmitting HD on 60? Unless this happened today 7mate is Prime's HD channel in Canberra and all other LCNs are SD.

Can you tell us what translator you happened to be watching?

PCWulf,

Which translator I was watching is irrelevant because they cannot demodulate the signal, only frequency shift it.

Remember that Prime7's headquarters is in Canberra, so they could be testing the system so the bosses can see it.

I have already reminded another poster that I reported what I saw on the date I posted. I have left the area, so if they changed it back after testing I would not know.

I note that both Freeview and Yahoo7 TV guides when set to Canberra, neither mention any Prime7 HD or 7MateHD.

I suggest that you do a receiver reset and rescan.

Alanh

Edited by alanh

Thanks Alan. I don't need reminding. I suspect you, as usual, have no idea what you are talking about. I strongly doubt that Prime would experiment with any market, particularly an important one like Canberra, with swapping a program between SD and HD. As you would know, the Prime 60s are often just PID redirects rather than seperate transport streams and to get the bit rare they would probably need to swap 7mate to SD.

The reason I asked about the translator was that not all are fed off air and you could have been watching one that was link fed and possibly capable of having different content to the parent for a short period of time.

I suspect if and when Prime swap HD content it will be very obvious rather than your perception that the content was HD - or did the received you were watching clearly indicate that the content was HD - that is with the on screen display or system info?

Ps - I'm not sure how rescanning would change the program I'm watching on LCN 60 from SD to HD? If they were transmitting HD and I was able to decode it then surely I would be watching HD? And of course I did rescan to see if it made a difference.

Did you try and contact Prime while you were here to see what they said?

Cwulf,

You obviously don't work in the industry.

Prime is not advertising or promoting HD so they can do what they like provided it doesn't radiate outside its channel allocation.

Remember I saw it, not all your supposition.

By definition a translator consists of an off air receiver which has an intermediate frequency output at around 36 MHz, This signal  is fed into an upconverter to the output frequency, amplified to the required power and radiated. There is no alterations to the signal at all except the carrier frequency. Your lack of knowledge is dangerous.

As I said the program was Prime7 and was identical with the exception of the resolution.

I suggested the rescan because some people relabel their channels on their TV to more familiar numbers. I have relabeled all HD channels to their SD names so I only have to push the channel up or down button and watch all the HD versions not the SD versions. ie select 2 the TV shows channel 20 instead,

I have seen plenty of HD and I have very good eyesight.

If you missed the broadcast hard luck!

Alanh

3 minutes ago, alanh said:

provided it doesn't radiate outside its channel allocation

By definition a translator consists of an off air receiver which has an intermediate frequency output at around 36 MHz, This signal  is fed into an upconverter to the output frequency, amplified to the required power and radiated. There is no alterations to the signal at all except the carrier frequency. Your lack of knowledge is dangerous.

How is any of that relevant to the discussion and in particular to what CWulf said?

Sorry Alan. I knew I shouldn't have engaged in a discussion with some one that so obviously needs help and loved to troll.

I do work in the industry. I do know what I am talking about. I strongly doubt that Prime have been experimenting. I do know how signals are distributed.

I have no confidence in your calibrated eye or knowledge of these things.

No more posting from me. Hopefully the few who continue to read threads in this forum in which Alan post have got the message by now that his posts are very unreliable.

Bye

If you work in the industry is it the broadcasting end?

Since Prime is not making any public announcements on the presence of channel 60 they can experiment as much as they like. I only found it because I went looking for it. You can doubt as much as you like. You have not asked Prime if they have told Mediahub to put the channel 7 news on channel 60 on the night I watched.

I just don't like people who contest what I saw. Not 7Mate which has no news on channel 60 but 7 news identical to channel 6.

I have worked in the technical side of TV and radio for more than 20 years and I can recognise when two channels contain the same program.

It is about time you found out rather than casting allegations which are untrue.

Alanh

Edited by alanh
Duplicate post due to slow internet

hrh,

My post is relevant because the translator I was viewing was in the Canberra hinterland must have an identical program to Canberra. CWulf is suggesting I saw a special program which was not available to all of those in the Southern Tablelands including Canberra. If CWulf was watching when I was he would have seen it too.

Alanh

2 minutes ago, alanh said:

You have not asked Prime if they have told Mediahub to put the channel 7 news on channel 60 on the night I watched.

So why havent you done this? You reckon youre still in the industry, you reckon youve got contacts, you reckon youre sure, and you wouldve had an answer by now.

8 minutes ago, alanh said:

It is about time you found out rather than casting allegations which are untrue.

Amen.