customx

Foxtel technician killed my cable internet!

7 posts in this topic

Hello!

We live in a block of townhouses that are serviced by telstra cable and we were fortunate enough to have our foxtel installer drop by and install our foxtel service.

We have telstra cable internet, which, prior to the install was working. When I got home from work, my partner said the foxtel technician had been and gone, and that we were now able to access FTA channels through out IQ box, however, our wifi was not working.

I looked into the roof access point and noticed that the technician had cut and split the coaxial cable that was previously directly routed into the study, where our modem lives. There is now a Hills diplexer installed. The source cable fed from the distribution point is connected to the in/out on one side of the diplexer. On the other side of the diplexer there are two points; FTA and SAT. The SAT connection was fed to the study, where the modem was connected and the FTA connection was fed to the FOXTEL point in the lounge. With this configuration, we could get both FTA and FOXTEL channels through our IQ box, but no internet.

After calling up support and riding the foxtel says it's telstra's fault, telstra says it is foxtels fault merry go round, I decided to cut my losses and try playing around with the diplexer. When I swapped the SAT connection to feed FOXTEL, and the FTA connection to feed the modem, the modem connected to the internet but I lost FTA channels on foxtel (foxtel channels still worked).

TLDR;
-Cable Foxtel and Telstra Internet
-Internet previously worked before technician installed foxtel placing a diplexer in roof
-With diplexer configured (1) as:
         - SAT -> Modem = No Internet.
         - FTA -> FOXTEL IQ = FTA + Foxtel channels through IQ
-With diplexer configured (2) as:
         - FTA -> Modem = Internet
         - SAT -> FOXTEL IQ = Internet/Foxtel channels only through IQ (no FTA)

So I'm frustrated and confused.

My options are:
1) get a splitter and split the FTA output of the diplexer to both the modem and the FOXTEL IQ and hope that I get both internet and FTA + Foxtel channels on IQ. Do you think this will work!???
2) another option suggested by the brilliant people of dtvforum
3) spend the rest of my mortal life, being endlessly transferred between foxtel and telstra.

Really looking forward to your help!!

Edited by customx
typo

Sorry if this is really stupid but Foxtel have a history with me on different issues - so I'd suggest put it back to them. You fudged up the install, do it properly....just a thought mate
Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, captainbuff said:

Sorry if this is really stupid but Foxtel have a history with me on different issues - so I'd suggest put it back to them. You fudged up the install, do it properly....just a thought mate
Peace

Yeah, the trouble is when you get their call centre and they hear 'the internet stopped working' they immediately transfer you to Telstra. Totally useless. 

Have you had better luck getting Foxtel to follow through on support?

Nope...exactly the same as what you said!!! Did my nut in! Was so filthy with them in the end...it was obvious that there was a problem because of what they had done but they didn't want to claim it. 'My internet worked great before...now it's not...fix it!!'

In the end I went the splitter route. I was tearing my hair out and was just trying anything and it worked so I let be and said a few fancy words.

Sorry mate...not much help!!
Peace
Josh

Josh, it has been heaps of help. Number 1 lesson = don't try and get Telstra or Foxtel to fix their issues. Disappointing that this seems to be a recurring problem with their technicians.

Did you have a diplexer fitted by the tech?  Did you replace it with the splitter?

Did you have a diplexer fitted by the tech?  Did you replace it with the splitter?

Ummm...sorry mate going Greek there for me! I'm no pro at this sort of stuff...I know a little but not enough to claim by any means!!

The Foxtel muppet put the dish on the roof and the cable was half assly stacked into the back of a cupboard and made it's way to my HT. Honestly did not think to look in the roof and see what was going on but then again I wouldn't know what to look for.

Again probably more confusing than helpful but I remember that it was my ISP (iiNet) that finally came on board and said 'put the splitter on'. Yeah I definitely remember that now...this was after weeks of going insane though. It also played havoc with my phone line...I could dial out but it was terrible reception. Never solved that until Foxtel got the flick due to 'funds'...sorry mate I'm not really a hugely tech savvy guy but I hope it makes some sense!

Cheers
Josh

The best thing to do is go to a Telstra Store and speak with them, don't do it over the phone.    My girlfriend is a Manager of a Telstra Store.    And believe it or not.   Telstra place a very high value on customer service within its stores and all of her employees that I have seen absolutely love there jobs and give great customer service.   

With that said there will be some stores which offer great service and some which won't.   But that's like that everywhere.    

If you go into the stores and still have no luck.   Contact the ombudsman.     This will get a result and will get a result fast.    I know people who have had other issues and once you go further down the chain of command all of a sudden they "can do something".     

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By baysideit
      I have a new house which has a home theatre system built in but it is about 5 / 6 years old. I am having issues with the remote control synching with the TV as sometimes it turns the TV off and not the Bose sound system etc. they go out of sync. 
      The other major issue is that the bose audio enhancer which has HDMI inputs does not output a Google Chromecasts audio nor does my old TV.
      I am happy to buy a new Samsung (due to the fact I have another one, my current TV weights 80kgs, or any other recommendation welcome)

Heres the equipment I currently have:
      65" Panasonic TH-65PF11WK, Bose LifeStyle V30 / 20, Bose Personal Music Centre, Foxtel IQ 3, Google Chromecast
      Do I need to upgrade anything for the Bose System?
      Can I relay Chromecast audio through a new TV back to the Bose controller if the Bose controller doesn't support carrying the new audio?
      Attached some photos to hopefully help. Any suggestions appreciated, Thank you in advance!!

• By Ron12
      There were news reports of a Saturday Night Live episode which was aired in the US on November 5, which was supposed to feature a sketch in which Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton put their differences aside, hold hands and walk off together.  However, that sketch, which was meant to be the opening sketch of the show, was missing from the Comedy Channel's airing of the show on Saturday Night (November 12).
      http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/alec-baldwin-as-donald-trump-and-kate-mckinnon-as-hillary-clinton-make-up-on-snl/news-story/7e8c00c1f7248dad1e8e101dd193e358
      Have they been cutting bits out of Saturday Night Live?
    • By yash
      Hi Everyone,
      My new LG Smart UHD TV drops wifi connection exactly after 1 hour. I have tested this a couple of times and it is 1 hour. I then go to 'network' option and reconnect the internet on the TV. (All the other devices connected to wifi works absolutely fine).
      I mostly watch Youtube and Stan app on the TV.
      I am currently with Telstra Bigpond and use the Technicolour TG587n V3 modem/router.
      Is this the router issue or the wifi hardware on tv? 
    • By yash
      Hi Everyone,

Got the LG 55UH652T (Ultra HD TV) over the weekend and hooked it up on the wall.

Setup was a breeze and the TV connected to the wifi instantly and the picture and sound are fantastic!

For the last three days, while watching Youtube or Stan for a hour or so on the TV, the app stops responding and I get "you are not connected to the internet" error.

I went to network settings to see the TV is still 'connected' to my wifi but the internet doesnt work for any app including Freeview.

(I checked other devices like my ipad, iphone and the wifi is working fine).

I click on it, it forgets my network. I click on it again and type the password and it connects instantly and the internet on starts working fine.

The router is in the same room as the TV. Its approx. 4-5 meters away with no obstruction.

I called LG support today from work and they asked me to 'reset the router'. I dont understand why I have to do that as the router is working fine!

They also asked switch on the personal hotspot on the mobile phone and connect the TV to that to see if it gets disconnected (I am actually trying that now). This is crap as the TV is kind of using all my mobile data!!

The support rep advised if the TV wifi doesn't disconnect then there is an issue with you internet network. If not then I can call them again to request for a technician to come in.

I dont feel it is correct as i have never had issues with my Internet connection (i am with Telstra).

The TV is 3 days old and I hate the fact that I have to go through this.....

Any advice? Suggestions?

Thanks
    • By vanderblitz
      Hello,
      I'm looking for a reputable TV antenna installer for a new single story house, with colorbond roof in Williams Landing suburb (west of Melbourne)
      Any recommendations?

Thanks

• By Slattery
      https://www.avforums.com/news/sky-q-launching-ultra-hd-in-13th-august.12773?utm_campaign=July_2016_N...

Sky UK are launching a 4K service showing EPL and movies. When is Foxtel going to offer customers some 4K UHD content?
    • By Ron12
      There's a new home shopping channel on Foxtel called YESSHOP on channel 180. According to the press release, it started at midday on February 29.
      YESSHOP is a NZ based home shopping channel that has been running for around two years.
      http://www.yesshop.co.nz/handler/main/Main-Media
    • By Ralfi
      Ended up buying the Logitech Harmony Smart Control.
      Brilliant thus far.
      Any questions....ask away....
    • By Ron12
      Since at least Good Friday, I've been able to watch all of Foxtel's HD channels except for Arts HD, even though I'm on the non HD package. Has anyone else been getting this? Is Foxtel doing an HD promo?
    • By twobob
      Hi Guys … I have just purchased a Samsung Soundbar (HW-H551 for $229 from the Good Guys) and need some advice on how best to connect Foxtel, SD TV, Apple TV, use the Blu-Ray player I have and replace the home theatre speakers with the Samsung Soundbar.

My set up is (including links to manuals for others that have been looking for them):
      - Panasonic 42" TV TH-P42G10A. Link to manual Refer p44-45 for connections diagram
      - Foxtel IQ2. Link to manual Page 80 for diagram
      - Apple TV2. Link to manual
      - Samsung Blu-Ray DVD player (part of the Home Theatre set: HT-BD1252W). Link to manual: Page 15 for diagram
      - Samsung Soundbar HW-H551. Link to manual. Page 14 for diagram.
      - Logitec Harmony One remote control. Link to manual

I'm hoping to have all sound go through the Soundbar … grateful for any tips!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, deers and happy-new-years from hurmeez and two bob