Kazz

4K Ultra HD Disc Local Release Dates

164 posts in this topic

On 12/04/2017 at 7:21 AM, Quark said:

Logan, local release date 12 July, JB wants AUD$49.98 versus US release date 23 May, Amazon asking US$24.99.

It's like a stupid test by the local distributors to see just how far they can go. Let me answer by raising both my middle fingers to them.

I see JB is now showing a local release date of 7 June - good to see this much more sensible approach by the local distributor. :)

Now just have to wait for the local price to drop to a competitive level.

Aren't all Marvel movies $49 here?

Not sure why but they all seem to be when initially released IIRC.

5 minutes ago, duke said:

Aren't all Marvel movies $49 here?

Not sure why but they all seem to be when initially released IIRC.

If you buy local at an inflated price you only encourage the "Australia Tax".

The UHD version of Logan is au$36.99 on Sanity's website at the moment, which is cheaper than what it would cost to order the U.S. version from Amazon, based on their current price plus shipping. If JB doesn't drop their price lower than this, and Sanity doesn't increase their price before the date of release, then you should be able to get JB to price match Sanity.

19 minutes ago, Cevolution said:

The UHD version of Logan is au$36.99 on Sanity's website at the moment, which is cheaper than what it would cost to order the U.S. version from Amazon, based on their current price plus shipping. If JB doesn't drop their price lower than this, and Sanity doesn't increase their price before the date of release, then you should be able to get JB to price match Sanity.

Thanks for that Cev - seems like I'll be going local.

16 minutes ago, Cevolution said:

Cevolution, you seem to have some connections with local distributors. How can we find out who releases what in Australia, and subsequently whether a movie IS going to get a local release on UHD? As Al and I mentioned previously, it's very frustrating when the local distributor appears disinterested in supporting this new format. ( eg La La Land is due for release on DVD/ BR today, but 4kUHD........nothing.)

2 hours ago, IMDave said:

it's very frustrating when the local distributor appears disinterested in supporting this new format. ( eg La La Land is due for release on DVD/ BR today, but 4kUHD........nothing.)

There's been plenty of these lately...... and frustrating it is.

10 hours ago, IMDave said:

Cevolution, you seem to have some connections with local distributors. How can we find out who releases what in Australia, and subsequently whether a movie IS going to get a local release on UHD? As Al and I mentioned previously, it's very frustrating when the local distributor appears disinterested in supporting this new format. ( eg La La Land is due for release on DVD/ BR today, but 4kUHD........nothing.)

yes this frustrated me too... got la la land, hidden figures and arrival turn up today in 4k uhd from amazon.

what am i supposed to do with nothing on the horizon for au for those in 4k uhd ?

its very disappointing we are not getting the concurrent releases locally as it is happening overseas.

was rubbed in walking in to jb to see la la land sitting there on the shelf ... in only blu-ray...

On 21/04/2017 at 4:17 PM, darthhasbro said:

Interested to hear your opinion and the disc specs when you get these Bernie

Hi darthhasbro I have received my copies of these movies and watched them over the last three nights.

In my opinion they are a slight improvement over the BD versions I had before, but should these ever be released by Disney/Marvel I will definitely be double dipping on another set of 4K UHD AU or US release.

For those interested in Iron Man movies here are some reviews from AVforums.

Iron Man 1: https://www.avforums.com/review/iron-man-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.13575

Iron Man 2: https://www.avforums.com/review/iron-man-2-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.13576

Iron Man 3: https://www.avforums.com/review/iron-man-3-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.13577

Quote from the reviewer.

"While we wait patiently for the Disney/Marvel monolith to get on board the Ultra HD Blu-ray bandwagon, German manufacturing studio Concorde jump the gun to deliver their own 4K takes on the trilogy. The results are flawed at best, with the first movie, in particular, standing out like a sore thumb, whilst the second offers a far more satisfying upgrade. The third ups the game yet further for what is the kind of release that the first two should have been."

Edited by bernievink
added extra text

20 hours ago, bernievink said:

Hi darthhasbro I have received my copies of these movies and watched them over the last three nights.

Thanks for the info Bernie, kinda glad I cancelled my order now, sounds like these wouldn't be any great improvement over up scaled blu rays

So we will continue waiting for Disney to get on board with 4K HDR

On 03/05/2017 at 11:28 AM, IMDave said:

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I don't have any affiliation with local distributors. When I want to know some information, I simply contact them. Usually I prefer by phone, because I find it's a much better way to get the answers I'm after quickly. Corresponding with them via email often takes days or weeks to receive a response, and sometimes there is a bit of back and forth required because they don't completely answer the question, whereas by phone it just takes a matter of minutes. 

Edited by Cevolution

On 21/04/2017 at 3:52 PM, Cevolution said:

The local release date for King Kong (2005) has changed over the last few days, it's been pushed back by two weeks, from the 12th to the 26th of July.

Some of the local dates for the titles above that I originally posted about have also changed. Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3 have been pulled forward by two weeks, to the 14th of June. Gladiator has been pushed back by 1 week, to the 14th of June, and The Bridge on the River Kwai has been pushed back until the 6th of December.

I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I spoke with Universal Sony Australia a couple of days ago, the release dates for a couple of these have changed again. King Kong (2005) has reverted back to the 12th of July, and Gladitator has been pushed back until September at this stage. The date listed in their system for Gladiator is now the 1/9/17, however this is just a place holder, as the 1st is a Friday, official local release dates always fall on a Wednesday or Thursday.

Can anybody confirm the audio on the Aus release of Patriot's Day? Both the UHD and BD discs.

Thanks in advance.

Hi 709,cover says DTS:X for the 4k,and DTSHDMA 5.1for the 1080 blu,won't have time to check in player till the weekend

Thanks for posting.

I am tempted to purchase with the 20% off sale, but with the US release sporting a 7:1 Master Audio on the BD, I wanted to be sure.

Will hold off until there is confirmation. The US disc is a reasonable price ATM.

50 minutes ago, 709er said:

Thanks for posting.

I am tempted to purchase with the 20% off sale, but with the US release sporting a 7:1 Master Audio on the BD, I wanted to be sure.

Will hold off until there is confirmation. The US disc is a reasonable price ATM.

709 i got the us disc, and the uhd has 3D audio track though cant say what the bd had sorry :)

On 03/05/2017 at 9:58 PM, :) said:

yes this frustrated me too... got la la land, hidden figures and arrival turn up today in 4k uhd from amazon.

what am i supposed to do with nothing on the horizon for au for those in 4k uhd ?

its very disappointing we are not getting the concurrent releases locally as it is happening overseas.

was rubbed in walking in to jb to see la la land sitting there on the shelf ... in only blu-ray...

I see JB and Sanity both have Alien: Covenant up for pre-order, but no UHD option. Looks like this could be another one with no local UHD release.

8 hours ago, Quark said:

I see JB and Sanity both have Alien: Covenant up for pre-order, but no UHD option. Looks like this could be another one with no local UHD release.

So who are the distributors of these discs? I tried calling 20 Century Fox on Friday because the JB sales person told me they were the distributor for "La la Land". It rang out 3 times.

Like Al, I'm not happy about this and may end up doing something  I don't want to do. Spending  $40 to import.

Personally, the difference between BR and 4kUHD is substantial enough to warrant purchasing the 4k whenever possible, so for movies I envisage watching multiple times ( Hacksaw Ridge, La la Land) I will not "make do" with Bluray. 

How do we put pressure on the distributors to at least give the format a chance? 

So is Universal the only studio in Australia releasing 4K titles with slipcases, or has anyone noticed other studios following this trend?

On 2017-5-13 at 9:17 PM, IMDave said:

How do we put pressure on the distributors to at least give the format a chance? 

I think it needs to be promoted more... TV, instore etc.

Some bluray stockists make the UHD/4K section so small it's even difficult to find.

JSmith :ninja:

Prometheus on UHD Blu-ray is currently scheduled to be released here on the 16th of August, and E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial on UHD Blu-ray currently has a local release date of September 20th.

Edited by Cevolution

4 hours ago, Cevolution said:

Prometheus on UHD Blu-ray is currently scheduled to be released here on the 16th of August, and E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial on UHD Blu-ray currently has a local release date of September 20th.

ooooh.... thanks for the heads up ! :) two favourites there :)

hmm got the following on my want list... just dont know whether to wait till finally gets here or just hit buy on amazon....

mechanic resurrection

unforgiven

ex machina

logan

Mechanic Resurrection is IMHO a worse movie than Fast 6.

Fast 5 was actually the best in the franchise.

Jb's yesterday had buy one and get one free for UHD movies. Purchased Inferno and got Life of PI for nothing. Actually Inferno was priced $10 more on the ticket than what it was at the counter so I got it even cheaper ($40 for both)