Malich

ABC Exits Shortwave Radio Transmission

13 posts in this topic

The ABC plans to cease all shortwave transmissions on 31 Jan 2017. This will affect not only the international broadcasts from Shepparton (& relays), but also the domestic ABC Northern Territory broadcasts from Tennant Ck, Alice Springs, & Katherine that cover remote northern & central Australia.

http://about.abc.net.au/press-releases/shortwave-radio/

Pity. I quite enjoy listening to RA Shepparton while I'm at the workbench, & I was looking forward to hearing it on a couple of vintage radios that are in my restoration queue (RA has excellent audio quality for SW). Tuning in to the omnipresent China Radio International on a 1957 Erres or 1941 Philips won't be quite the same...

(I hope the BoM don't follow their lead & decide to turn off VMC or VMW in the near future...)

Included on the web page:

The ABC, working alongside SBS, is planning to extend its digital radio services in Darwin and Hobart, and to make permanent its current digital radio trial in Canberra. Extending DAB+ into the nation’s eight capital cities will ensure ABC digital radio services can reach an additional 700,000 people, increasing the overall reach of ABC digital radio to 60% of the Australian population.

સરકારી મંત્રાલયો અપનાવશે કેશલેસ સિસ્ટમ, રૂ 0.5000 થી વધુ પેમેન્ટ થશે ડિજિટલ...

Read more at: http://money.divyabhaskar.co.in/news-cppst/BIZ-ECN-POLI-fm-issues-orders-to-adopt-cashless-payment-for-transactions-above-rs-5474651-NOR.html

Read more at: http://money.divyabhaskar.co.in/news-cppst/BIZ-ECN-POLI-fm-issues-orders-to-adopt-cashless-payment-for-transactions-above-rs-5474651-NOR.html

Included on the web page:

The ABC, working alongside SBS, is planning to extend its digital radio services in Darwin and Hobart, and to make permanent its current digital radio trial in Canberra. Extending DAB+ into the nation’s eight capital cities will ensure ABC digital radio services can reach an additional 700,000 people, increasing the overall reach of ABC digital radio to 60% of the Australian population.

(EDIT: unintended content removed)
Edited by Ron12
Unintended content unrelated to discussion remoed

Looks like you may have picked up some malware there, Ron. (At least I hope it's somethig like that, & you haven't chosen to start spamvertising Charming Sun news stories everywhere...)

9 hours ago, Malich said:

Pity.

Indeed.

For me the thin edge was when VNG Lyndhurst went off the air.

I purchased a SDR earlier this year to get back into listening since I sold off all my utility receivers when I downsized my life 5 years ago. It seems like a lot of DRM transmissions have disappeared as well, that doesn't bode well for that mode, I guess. RNZI seems to be the only DRM transmissions I can pick up reliably now, although I am in a reception challenged position noise wise.

9 hours ago, Malich said:

I quite enjoy listening to RA Shepparton

I listen to 4835KHz from Roe Creek in the evenings a bit, I can pick it up in Tassie on my kitchen radio with just the telescopic antenna fully extended.

Sorry about that. it's possible that it was in my clipboard.  If it happens again, please let me know.

19 hours ago, Ron12 said:

Sorry about that. it's possible that it was in my clipboard.  If it happens again, please let me know.

No worries - got caught with something similar myself this morning! (website adding its own ad & link to copy buffer... grrr...)

On 7/12/2016 at 6:29 AM, I am not a duck said:

I purchased a SDR earlier this year to get back into listening since I sold off all my utility receivers when I downsized my life 5 years ago. It seems like a lot of DRM transmissions have disappeared as well, that doesn't bode well for that mode, I guess. RNZI seems to be the only DRM transmissions I can pick up reliably now, although I am in a reception challenged position noise wise.

RNZI's DRM has always been hit-and-miss for me in Brissie, and got worse when they cut back a while ago. I'm lucky to get it at all, but I'll see how things go when I get around to finishing the remote loop I've been slack about. AIR's AM (& DRM, if they're actually transmitting it) is usually good for an hour or so morning & evening on my little longwire if the local noise isn't too bad (I should really take a punt on who's fault it is & get on someone's case about that).

But basically the only things I'm guaranteed to receive on the longwire or window loop at any given time are RA & bloody CRI! So RA will be missed...

On 7/12/2016 at 6:29 AM, I am not a duck said:

I listen to 4835KHz from Roe Creek in the evenings a bit, I can pick it up in Tassie on my kitchen radio with just the telescopic antenna fully extended.

Have sometimes listened to Katherine & Tennant Ck in the early evenings, but can't recall catching Alice Springs / Roe Ck. Impressed that you can get it on a little telescopic whip, but I guess it makes sense for the early evenings.

If you dont mind me asking, roughly where abouts are you (W/NW somewhere?) & what's the SW / DXing generally like? We have semi-serious plans of moving down sometime in the future, probably around Lonnie somewhere...

Senate Estimates Committee - Communications is where the Department of Communications, ACMA, ABC executives have to face the music from the poitiicans. The hot topic will be the closure of HF ABC Local Radio NT  and Radio Australia.

The meeting is this Tuesday and/or Wednesday

Alanh

Edited by alanh
add dates

"The cost cutting decision will save $1.9 million a year — a tiny fraction of the ABC's $1 billion plus annual budget." —Xenophon
I agree the HF services should be reinstalled... at least Xenophon is the practical one here.
I came to this forum to see if any dates had been set for the roll out of DAB+ into regional areas.
But some here have expressed concern about the bit rate and overall sound quality.
I'm sure that many would argue that digital radio should be as good as FM or better.
What is the ideal bit rate for DAB+ so it does "sound" as good as FM?
And, what is the goal of DAB+ .....to eventually replace AM (MF) and FM services or just compliment them?
I'm not exactly sure why we still have AM- MF radio.. In regional areas, most of the station have moved from AM to FM.
Wasn't the national broadcasters given additional money for the rollout of digital tv.. not sure why this wasn't the case with digital radio
Another factor with all of this is.. online streaming.. I must admit -these days- I mainly stream all of my radio listening with a mobile phone. Although step outside of major town with a decent 4G coverage.. you must rely on regional broadcasters...
I suppose, at this stage, its a balance between rolling out improved mobile services (ie.improving capacity) and maintaining a reliable broadcasting network.

8 hours ago, sound_.mind said:

And, what is the goal of DAB+ .....to eventually replace AM (MF) and FM services or just compliment them?

In Australia it can only be a complement.

8 hours ago, sound_.mind said:

I'm not exactly sure why we still have AM- MF radio.. In regional areas, most of the station have moved from AM to FM

Depends on where you are. WA still has most of their AM services but have had a lot of low powered FM stations added to supplement.
AM has a far greater reach than either of FM or digital and mobile telephony/data. There are huge areas where there is neither mobile nor FM coverage and even AM is marginal.

AM transmitters. All capital cities' ABC local radio except Darwin are AM with a simulcast on DAB+ except Hobart.

There are 136 commercial AM broadcast transmitters, 15 AM community transmitters and 470 AM ABC & SBS transmitters. Note that many of the ABC Local radio transmitters have a back up transmitter which is included in the numbers.

All regional commercial stations have an AM licence and a supplementary FM licence.

The ABC in the 1990s was offered FM which they did not take up in capital cities for their highest rater Local Radio, Radio National and News Radio. However down the Eastern Seaboard and in Victoria and Northern Tasmania high powered FM was installed for Regional Local Radio. If the transmitter site is not within sight of the local studio then all programs are in mono despite the stereo light because there is no stereo program feed.

Even in the NT the coverage area of AM is insufficient to cover much of the territory but also the Kimberley, Pilbara, interior WA, Northern SA, remote NSW and remote Qld.

In these areas HF Digital Radio Mondiale can cover the whole area, in regional areas DRM+ or DRM in the MF band will give equivalent coverage to AM.

Alanh