Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OzyColin

CASSETTE DECKS - Are They Still Available New?

6 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

Hope this is the right forum area - Cassette Decks are, after all, a recording device :P

30 years ago I mixed a Perth band in a studio and bounced the Studio recordings onto two track cassette tape.

I've now been approached by one of the band members asking if I can send them a copy. My old NAD Cassette deck died some time ago - after a reasonably priced cassette deck that will efficient convert to MP3 format? Don't want to do the lottery of the second hand market.

Are they still available in Oz?

12 hours ago, OzyColin said:

I've now been approached by one of the band members asking if I can send them a copy. My old NAD Cassette deck died some time ago - after a reasonably priced cassette deck that will efficient convert to MP3 format? Don't want to do the lottery of the second hand market.

Are they still available in Oz?

Were they recorded with any noise reduction from your midi desk ? Dolby B or C ?  A 2nd hand one will drop the noise 10db or more depending on the encoder for the high frequencies . If not there may be a pc programme that will denoise them depending on the quality of the original tape - Fe ;Cr ;Me ? Metal cassettes usually hold a higher db level so likely a lower noise floor with those ; and did you ride the levels to the overload point hopefully ?

good  luck ; I still have a yamaha dual auto reverse deck that WILL be used again said the hoarder :blush:

Edited by cwt

12 hours ago, cwt said:

Were they recorded with any noise reduction from your midi desk ? Dolby B or C ?  A 2nd hand one will drop the noise 10db or more depending on the encoder for the high frequencies . If not there may be a pc programme that will denoise them depending on the quality of the original tape - Fe ;Cr ;Me ? Metal cassettes usually hold a higher db level so likely a lower noise floor with those ; and did you ride the levels to the overload point hopefully ?

good  luck ; I still have a yamaha dual auto reverse deck that WILL be used again said the hoarder :blush:

Hi cwt - thanks for the response. CR tape through a Tascam analogue desk - can't recall if Dolby was involved. Looks like I might have to resort to acoustically recording on to my S7 - not sure about file sizes through that.  

5 hours ago, OzyColin said:

Hi cwt - thanks for the response. CR tape through a Tascam analogue desk - can't recall if Dolby was involved. Looks like I might have to resort to acoustically recording on to my S7 - not sure about file sizes through that.  

Me either ; lpcm is a lot bigger file than mp3 but at least its not video your replicating :)