MLXXX

NBN download speeds in practice: fast enough to access UHD?

thanks Peter.  The TV (Samsung KS 8000) is connected wirelessly as the modem is located on the same stand.  I get exactly the same result when connected via Ethernet.  Not sure what you mean by NBN tech.  Just connected with Optus a year ago who sent out the installer. Everything works fine other than the "collapse in Netflix speed" in the evenings.

7 hours ago, pc9 said:

Not sure what you mean by NBN tech.  Just connected with Optus a year ago

I think Peter is asking how NBN internet is delivered to your address. Some people get it via old-fashioned copper phone line that connects to an NBN pillar or "node" on the footpath a few hundred metres away, some get the internet through a coaxial cable that has been in the neighbourhood for years but which has been switched over to the NBN. Some people (particularly in new estates) get NBN fibre all the way to their premises.

16 hours ago, pc9 said:

Unfortunately, each evening after about 6pm, my Netflix data rate appears to drop dramatically. The information button on my Samsung TV indicates a best download speed during this time of 5.53mbps which is not enough to run 4K video (Netflix will usually resolve 4K at 7.63mbps and upwards).   When this occurs I always undertake a download speed test (to confirm that the Netflix drop is not due to a more general bandwidth reduction); the results of which confirm the 30mbps or so - also You Tube 4k clips happily resolve at anything between 15 and 22 mbps during this time, so I believe that my download speed results are genuine and adequate for 4K video.

Well we don't usually watch Netflix [Australia] quite so early in the evening but tonight I put Netflix on from 6pm to 6.30pm  (and played an episode of Grace & Frankie). This streamed at 2160p for the whole half hour, varying between about 15Mps and 11Mbps according to the information displayed on the [Android] TV screen.

The connection we have is not NBN. It's just Optus coaxial cable internet that during the day provides a download speed around 30Mbps but by 6.30pm tonight had dropped to 23Mbps (according to www.speedtest.net).

Why your access to Netflix in Rockhampton deteriorates so badly at night while your basic internet access remains relatively high I can't say. However it's clear that Netflix can stream 4K to some parts of Eastern Australia at this time of the evening.  [I live in an inner northside suburb of Brisbane, and as I say the provider is Optus using the old cable (HFC) network; not "the NBN". ]

Edited by MLXXX

thanks - internet is FTTN and the premises is located about 200 metres from the node.  I will call Netflix tonight and see if they can shed any light on the subject (although I'm not expecting much from them).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Craig
      The top-of-the-line Sony Z9D TV sets have been announced for the US and Europe.

They consist of 65", 75" and 100" sizes.

But word from Sony Australia is that only the 65" and 100" will be brought into Australia.   SONY!  Please say it isn't so!

If anything, they should bring in just the 65" and 75" and forget the 100".  Don't think they'll sell many of those.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-z9d-series

I had my eye on the 75" model.  I hope Sony Australia changes their mind.
    • By pgdownload
      So half the speed equation is now in place. Full article here
      It will be interesting to see how comprehensive the data is, but even daily summaries should see a very solid basis to compare ISPs - all using the same NBN infrastructure but some using it better than others.
      The only drawback I see with this is that NBN gets to cherry pick its households for the test. You'd expect any FTTP to show NBNCo running at 100%. Presumably NBNCo will be a bit more careful with the HFC and FTTN customers it picks to participate (presumably they will all be geographically within 500m of a node and possibly closer.)
      No doubt NBN will proclaim the results show its network is not the problem. 
      Hopefully the second half of the equation will come from Telstra (of all places) when it start its own speed reporting in the middle of the year. No doubt it numbers will also be taken with a grain of salt but they will hopefully show where Telstra has spare bandwidth capacity to a household but NBNCo isn't providing the data at the line speed the customer is paying for.
      Anyway, seems a good move IMO.
      Regards
      Peter Gillespie
    • By bernievink
      Hi Folks
      Until this week, I have resisted the move to UHD.
      But as JB-HiFi were selling thie UA60KU6000W TV for $1398
      & The Good Guys were selling the UBD8500 for $298.
      I could no longer resist the challenge.
      Then I had to find content which was both UHD & HDR.
      found some Samsung demos but not HDR
      found some LG demos with HDR ( but called Dolby vision)
      while trying these demos I found the back-lighting and brightness set too high for my liking.
      does anyone have preferred settings for this model ?
      I set back-lighting down to 10 and brightness down to 40 for comfort.
      I left contrast at 100 and color, hue and tint at 50.

• By justifier
      Item: Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K Projector
      RRP new: $13999
      Price: $7950 ONO (over 2 years left on transferable extended Warranty included)
      Item Condition: As New (285hrs)
      Reason for selling: Upgrade
      Shipping: Buyer to organise pickup or their own courier (I can repack it in the original box and packing)
      Payment Method: COD, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: As new with over 2 years left on transferable extended Warranty, very low hours (approx 285 hours) and in perfect condition 4K Projector. This projector has only been used in a non-smoking environment, dedicated sound proofed cinema.
      Pictures: To be supplied later.
    • By hemo cave
      This is an Amazing Projector , i bought it after seeing a demo of it in my Man cave and fell in love , but iam going to try the Laser one soon or the JVC X7000 or X9000  
      So someone is going to get a good price , this comes with everything as is on the box , nothing has been touched or opened , comes with warranty which could be transferred 

i will upload pics of the box soon , 

The shop price ( or lowest i found ) is $4800 , but iam just asking for $4450 

Thank you 
    • By Matt_Walker
      Hi all,  If anyone is interested we are holding an exclusive invitation to a pre launch (prior to press/media/stockists) of the new BenQ W11000 4K UHD THX Home Theatre projector. We will have the W8000 1080P Home theatre projector on display also. Come down have a look and tell us what you think about our new additions to the BenQ lineup and have a chance to win some very cool prizes. **Venue: The Rialto Hotel 495 Collins Street Melbourne Vic Entry from Collins Street – Located in STOCK Room **When: Thursday 20th October **Time: 6:00PM to 8:00PM **Prizes: Write a review on our website on either the W8000 or W11000 and go in the draw for a chance to win a BenQ WIT Lamp valued at $299 Write a review on DTV Forum / StereoNet with a link back to our website and go in the draw for a chance to win a BenQ treVolo portable Electrostatic speaker valued at $399 Light Snacks provided. Let me know if you are coming and I will add your name to the list! PM me / or email at matt.walker at benq.com  
    • By HarvNut
      Recently, I was having some issues with my Kogan KALED55UHDZA smart TV, and the internet told me i needed to update it via the.bin file on a FAT32 formatted USB drive. I followed all instructions perfectly, only to have the firmware update freeze completely at 2%. After countless hours of it being stuck at this percentage, my only option was to turn the TV off. Now, when starting the TV only "SMART TV LOADING" shows up on the screen and hangs completely. I've tried multiple times to restart the update with it only to hang at 2%.
      After plenty of tedious chats with KOGAN representatives, i was informed to Power-cycle the TV, as this would apparently fix the TV's issues, but after 3 Power Cycle attempts I had no such luck. I would love to know if there is a way for me to Factory Reset the TV to its factory settings manually, but i cannot execute any of the different Factory reset options as the TV needs to be fully functioning.
      Thank you very much for your time, I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions

Sincerely,
      Harvey
    • By yash
      Hi Everyone,

Got the LG 55UH652T (Ultra HD TV) over the weekend and hooked it up on the wall.

Setup was a breeze and the TV connected to the wifi instantly and the picture and sound are fantastic!

For the last three days, while watching Youtube or Stan for a hour or so on the TV, the app stops responding and I get "you are not connected to the internet" error.

I went to network settings to see the TV is still 'connected' to my wifi but the internet doesnt work for any app including Freeview.

(I checked other devices like my ipad, iphone and the wifi is working fine).

I click on it, it forgets my network. I click on it again and type the password and it connects instantly and the internet on starts working fine.

The router is in the same room as the TV. Its approx. 4-5 meters away with no obstruction.

I called LG support today from work and they asked me to 'reset the router'. I dont understand why I have to do that as the router is working fine!

They also asked switch on the personal hotspot on the mobile phone and connect the TV to that to see if it gets disconnected (I am actually trying that now). This is crap as the TV is kind of using all my mobile data!!

The support rep advised if the TV wifi doesn't disconnect then there is an issue with you internet network. If not then I can call them again to request for a technician to come in.

I dont feel it is correct as i have never had issues with my Internet connection (i am with Telstra).

The TV is 3 days old and I hate the fact that I have to go through this.....

Any advice? Suggestions?

Thanks