Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skip22h

Apple Tv

38 posts in this topic

The wifi extender can't replace a modem, only extend an existing one. They also usually work by halving your bandwidth to extend the range. Given your situation that's probably not helpful.

Ok, so you have an easy way to test connectivity of the power extender. So now methodically try various power sockets in each room (eps the adjacent wall?) you might get lucky and find a combination works.

Note you don't have to try both outlets in a double wall plug (they both use the same wire).

NB As an alternative, was stringing a 20m cat5 cable between the rooms an option? under the floor boards? That would cost about $10 and be a 100% solution.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Ok so I will disconnect the Wi-Fi extender if that is only halving the bandwidth and connect back onto the home wi-fi

I cant see a simple connection route using the 20 m cable as the rooms are not adjacent and the only powerpoint available in the tv room is at the opposite side of the room.

In trying to explain we have the study then another room. The tv shares the wall to that adjoining room with only a double powerpoint (behind the tv) that only has room for one tv plug and the small powerline adapter. The opposite wall to the tv is where a spare powerpoint is located. The cable would have to go up the study wall (where the modem is located) across 2 rooms and down the tv room wall to connect to the available powerpoint.

Skip

I'm a bit surprised the extender had no impact. I wonder if your modem wifi settings are good. Not sure if you are able to go into your modem settings and list the wifi settings here?

In general with diagnosis I try to simplify things down to where its all working then start adding complications.

In your case I would suggest move the TV into the modem room and using a wifi connection between the modem and TV see if the streaming works. Once that's confirmed we can rule out lots of other potential issues.

Its annoying but probably your next best move. You could also pay an electrician to run the CAT5 cable under the floors, through the roof / walls etc. but that's probably a $200+

Regards

Peter Gillespie

NB My suspicion is that the Samsung USB stick, stuck behind the TV and 3 rooms away just isn't up to scratch (to be fair its a big ask of any wifi setup).

Edited by pgdownload

They guess maybe the two rooms are not on the same electrical phase

I think it would be unusual for a new house to have more than one incoming phase, unless the property has a high current draw.

I use EoP devices regularly for smart TVs, I have come across a couple of issues where something plugged into the existing power of the house is generating noise that overrides the ability of the adapter to decode the OFDM signal being transmitted over the power line.

Try the adapter where the TV is, & disconnect everything else in the room from the power points to see if the adapters connect. If they don't, go around the house & unplug everything from all your powerpoints to see if this offers a remedy. (That includes unplugging the modem.)

If that doesn't work, try the adapter in other power points in the house to see if it can connect, although, apart from indicating that some power points may function, it may not be a solution.

(Case study: Currently working on a house that has had major renovations. EoP feeds 3 rooms & an outbuilding 200 metres away. One room has very poor QoS connected to a Humax 7500T, the only reason I have postulated is this part of the house is original & the electrical wiring has not been upgraded. The electrician has been back & can't find a problem with the existing wiring, he is about to run Cat6 cable back to a power point in another room that works fine. Running back to the router is not an easy option, owing to the house construction.)

I use EoP devices regularly for smart TVs, I have come across a couple of issues where something plugged into the existing power of the house is generating noise that overrides the ability of the adapter to decode the OFDM signal being transmitted over the power line.

QFT. Spent part of last weekend sorting out an issue with a D-Link gigabit powerline kit - worked OK when tested between 2 rooms at one end of the house, but failed to even pair-up with both units at the other end of the house. As usual first guess was different phases - but only a single-phase feed to the house, split at the switchboard in the middle to 4 separate runs.

Turned out to be the dozen or so cheap chinese switchmode plugpacks - phone chargers, RPi, LED table lamps, knockoff chromebook, etc - that were scattered around the house. Any 1 of them was enough for a noticeable speed hit between rooms on the same run, or to wipe out comms totally between runs. Any more than 2 or 3 plugged in at once, which was the case in the living room, completely wiped out comms on that run.

They're now looking at a few hundred bucks just to replace all the shitty "China export" plugpacks with good linear or quiet switchmode ones...

Edited by Malich

Sounds encouraging Malick and Duck.

So skip, maybe the fastest test would be just unplug everything in your house? Maybe leave the fridge on but get everything else no longer sucking any power. Then test your power line plugs to see if you can't get a connection. Then turn on power again one room at a time - rerun the powerline connection test after each one until you find where the interference is coming from.

If that makes sense?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

OK so first of all thanks Peter (and others) for all your time and effort here.

I bit the bullet and bought a new modem to see if that helped. Its a Telstra Gateway Max and while the streaming is not perfect is it s hell of a lot better and since buying it Presto has been quite watchable. I also joined Netflix and even before the new modem it was quite watchable but is now pretty close to perfect. I was told in my search for a new modem that there are stronger and bigger modems available on the market but I wanted to stay with Telstra for their after sales technical assistance. Would a stronger modem be even better do you think for next time?

Which leads me to my next question. After setting up the wireless network on the previously offending tv when the TV is switched off it forgets the network password and I have to re-enter it. I didn't have to do this with the old modem. What can I do so I don't have to keep re-entering the password. Remember you're still talking to a 6 year old haha.

Secondly it brings me back to my original question. If I am streaming Presto satisfactorily and Netflix quite well what can I do with the apple tv that I cant do now?

Skip

Hey Skip,

Sounds like you've made good progress. note that Netflix will automatically change the video quality depending on your bandwidth so I would expect it to remain mostly smooth and just vary the PQ (SD or HD) on occasion - it does this automatically BTW. Getting your network up to par was the important first step, sorry it took so long. A more powerful modem might help more. I'd probably be looking to upgrade your TV next (with a better wireless receiver built in)

-------------

On the password issue, as a test first try set no password on the modem. See if the TV has no problems with that. I suspect the issue is that the TV has not got a fixed IP address, if you feel adventurous you could try the following:

What is your modem IP address. Probably 192.168.0.1 ? Its the address you type in to get to the modem menu.

Go to your TV menu and look at the Networking Menu. Its probably set to DHCP. You can change this to manual and enter in set values. Try:

TV IP: 192.168.0.150 (you only change the last number to something big - like 150)

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (i.e. the modem)

Hopefully this will mean your TV remembers the password once you type it in.

-----------

On AppleTV, well its a streaming box that hook mostly in to the Apple ecosphere. So if you have an iphone and and ipad and use itunes and want to download movies from the Apple store etc. then an apple TV is pretty cool.

I think I mentioned abouve you should get to a Telstra shop and have a discussion about the Telstra TV unit. Its basically the same as AppleTv in its functionality but its focused on general Oz viewers. Yep, here's the link

Post if you have any specific questions.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Hey Peter

I tried inputting network details manually into TV but still I have to re-enter network password to access internet. This kinda sux but is not a serious problem as I have memorised the password after inputting it so many times lol.

I really hate interfering with the modem when it works as I don't have the tech skills to fix it if I do something wrong

Hey Peter

I tried inputting network details manually into TV but still I have to re-enter network password to access internet. This kinda sux but is not a serious problem as I have memorised the password after inputting it so many times lol.

I really hate interfering with the modem when it works as I don't have the tech skills to fix it if I do something wrong

Your modem should have a backup settings option in one of the menus. Recommend you do that when you get the chance.

You could simplify your wifi password (abc) to make entering it easier. Its pretty unlikely a neighbor will try crack your code.

I'm just wondering if the TV has save the credentials of the old wireless (or has saved them both somehow). You could probably fix the issue by doing a FACTORY RESET on your TV. Should be a menu option?

After that its wireless settings should be back to DHCP (Automatic) and you hopefully only have to enter the password once.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hey

I did the TV factory reset but it tells me everything is reset except network settings which is probably what I want it to reset yeah? I reset it and had to do the channel searches again and reset time and dates but it did nothing to solve the re-entering of network password. Hear that?? It's me scratching my head lol

I have the opportunity to redeem through Flybuys a 32Gb 4th Dimension Apple TV for no cash or keep saving points for the 64Gb so cost is not an issue. Is this the latest version? Is it a worthwhile purchase considering streaming is better despite not even being able to get onto the Presto site at all last night.

If the streaming apps are available through the Smart TV will I use its other features (and I know you're going to say only I can answer whether I will use them or not)?

Skip

Hey

I did the TV factory reset but it tells me everything is reset except network settings which is probably what I want it to reset yeah? I reset it and had to do the channel searches again and reset time and dates but it did nothing to solve the re-entering of network password. Hear that?? It's me scratching my head lol

I have the opportunity to redeem through Flybuys a 32Gb 4th Dimension Apple TV for no cash or keep saving points for the 64Gb so cost is not an issue. Is this the latest version? Is it a worthwhile purchase considering streaming is better despite not even being able to get onto the Presto site at all last night.

If the streaming apps are available through the Smart TV will I use its other features (and I know you're going to say only I can answer whether I will use them or not)?

Skip

That is weird.

You can get a 4th ('generation'?) Apple TV. That is the latest. Looks like this. Not sure you'd have much need to get 64Gb - the unit essentially streams which means it doesn't store data only pushes it through.

The AppleTV kicked all this off (hence the title) but I'm not sure its the best device for you. You seem to really want it over other options? Can I ask what is the feature that has you focused on it?

It seems AppleTV does Netflix and Stan but not Presto (AppleTV has a US focus for many of its features). The Telstra TV unit above is focused on Oz and streams Stan, Presto, Netflix and Oz catch up TV. TelstraTV also costs half what AppleTv does.

You might like this comparison of streaming sites BTW.

Both AppleTV and TelstraTV should have AC wireless. You may find this results in much better streaming speeds from your modem (which supports AC speeds). almost certainly your existing dongle in the TV is only N rated. AC is about 3 times better than N and can reach further distances. (You'd need to tell the model to use AC - if it isn't already and then just sign the streaming device into it)

You're correct, you know the streaming apps already available on the TV and how well they work. With the new router and a new streaming box (Appltv, TestraTv, etc running on AC bandwidth you should probably look to get one to replace the aging dongle if you want to watch streaming TV)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hey

I wasn't particularly drawn to the Apple TV. It was just that I had heard of it before the Telstra TV.

I've bought my fair share of Apple products and have been happy with all the I-gadgets but I have had my fair share of issues with Telstra so giving Telstra more money kind of went against the grain a little.

With Flybuys I had access to not having to spend to buy the Apple TV but if your saying the Telstra TV is more appropriate for Australia I might re-think

So your saying the Telstra TV ( and the Apple) are both wi-fi and I will then have no need for the USB Samsung wireless stick and that this may in fact improve streaming even more (in particular Presto)? Is this right?

You say I need to tell the model to use AC?? What am I telling, the TV or the Telstra TV ? Is this complicated?

Would the older TV, that I have tried to describe to you in the million and one replies here, be compatible with the new Telstra TV? What does the TV need to be compatible with the Telstra TV

I seem to be taking you around in circles here so I appreciate your help

Skip

Just interested in what your underlying motivations might be (If you really want Apple for some reason then happy to advice on the pros and cons)

Understand not wanting to pay Telstra more, and I wouldn't advise someone to signup to Telstra to get a TelstraTV, but if you're already with them and interested in streaming then the TelstraTV is a solid option.

Suggest you visit a Telstra store and ask them to show you what its about.

IMO decide what suits best then work out how to pay for it. Don't work out the best payment method and buy what it offers. Flybuys can always be spent on something else.

So your saying the Telstra TV ( and the Apple) are both wi-fi and I will then have no need for the USB Samsung wireless stick and that this may in fact improve streaming even more (in particular Presto)? Is this right?

Exactly (except the Presto bit. It should increase all of them equally). You would plug whatever box you buy into the TV and it would connect to your modem, not the USB dongle (which IMO is a bit of a weak link)

You say I need to tell the model to use AC?? What am I telling, the TV or the Telstra TV ? Is this complicated?

Not at all. Its probably already sending out AC. If you go into the modem menu and look at the wireless options it will probably have a 'Fast' 5Ghz AC option set up as well as a Slower option. If not the wireless setup will just have a dropdown box where you select G or N or AC etc. Its pretty much just a single setting. We can look into that once you get a streaming box.

Would the older TV, that I have tried to describe to you in the million and one replies here, be compatible with the new Telstra TV? What does the TV need to be compatible with the Telstra TV

An HDMI cable. Your TV has HDMI in. The box (Apple or Telstra) has HDMI out. They're compatible :)

I seem to be taking you around in circles here

Not circles, a spiral - zeroing in. :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Since this has drifted a little into "what box" territory, I'll just mention that OzTAM has a comparison of what Aus catch-up services are available on what hardware here.

To finish this thread up, with the new modem Presto, on a good night, is watchable. Thinking about a location change (modem) to see if that helps even more but wondering best place  to try it

After a visit to Telstra they told me I had no need to purchase a Telstra TV (nice change Telstra not wanting me to spend more money). They told me that seeing the TV was already "Smart" the Telstra Tv could offer little more and probably wouldn't improve the streaming quality.

I don't know whether I mentioned this on this thread but Telstra may have solved the Samsung TV not remembering the password of the modem when the tv is turned off. They had me join to the 5G network and it seems to remember the password, Go figure!

I do have another question regarding data cabling but I will start a new thread in the appropriate place wherever that may be. I hope you can all assist

Once again thank you for all your help and suggestions. Much appreciated

Skip

Edited by skip22h

Glad you made it back. Thought the forum upgrade had knocked you out altogether.

Not sure I agree with Telstra, but if they don't want to sell you their gizmo then not my place to do it for them. Unfortunately there's no way to know how any wireless setup will actually work until you plug stuff in. But I'd expect that a small dongle tucked at the back of a TV would perform worse than a larger box placed in front of it.. Can't compare the features of your Smart TV (Netflix? Stan? CatchUp TV?) with the Telstra TV but if the TV does what you need then yes, no need to buy the same again.

Glad to hear the 5G appears to have fixed your issue. You should be running on 5G in general (so long as your equipment can use it) as its twice as fast and has better range for wireless. Positioning the modem is generally just common sense - reception is best closest to it and with fewest walls around it. Middle of the house should work well but that's not always possible with the cabling.

Thanks for the feed back anyway. Its really annoying when people ask for and get help and then just disappear without saying thanks. Not sure we resolved much but I think you've probably learnt enough to move on to seven or eight year old level :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie