Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zydeco

Replacement For Fetchtv

4 posts in this topic

Our Fetch TV has been the heart-and-soul of our main TV has just died and I’m after advice on options. Main functions that we’ve used Fetch TV include record TV, watch live TV, catch-up TV, Netflix and, on occasion, streaming local media.One alternative is to use our Panasonic ST60 TV which has a Netflix App and PVR functions but – with a wife that started using PVR with TiVo Gen 1 – I’m guessing that it’ll not be up to scratch. It also doesn’t seem to have all the HbbTV apps. A second option is to use my purpose built HTPC (JRiver, Dual TV) that works well and would allow for excellent streaming of recording media around the house. That said, despite treating this as a production machine, I’m hesitant as to whether it’s reliable enough for the everyday family use – I will, though, press it into service as back-up over the next few days / weeks. What, then, are the recommendations from the current crop of devices? Ideally, I get a single unit that can do PVR, (local) media streaming and apps (e.g., Netflix) but I understand that it might not be that simple (the Fetch TV streaming of local media is rudimentary). Options from Google include Humax 4tune-PVR seems like a fully featured unit. Another alternative looks like BW T4 which seems to be a dedicated PVR without apps / catch-up TV / streaming – might work as I can get Netflix from the ST60 but lack of catch-up TV is a problem. Any suggestions?

I'd recommend grabbing another Fetch TV. If you had a good solution then no need to reinvent the wheel (unless you have something specific that you're really missing). If you'd like to add playing local media to the mix then grab a cheap media player to play around with. WDTV is pretty smick, but you can get much cheaper if you want.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks Peter. We've been happy with the Fetch TV but the one downside is that it's not that great for streaming local media. (The User Interface is poor and quite often there are issues with playback) Hence the interest in a new solution.

Thanks Peter. We've been happy with the Fetch TV but the one downside is that it's not that great for streaming local media. (The User Interface is poor and quite often there are issues with playback) Hence the interest in a new solution.

A new solution will bring a host of different benefits and disadvantages. There still is really no single PVR that ticks every box well.

The Fetch is under $400 has a good interface, ad skip, series record, Netflix, Stan & Fetch Channels and a high WAF (Wife acceptance factor). IMO you're not going to get as rounded an offering in any other single box.

I agree the Fetch falls down in the Media Player areawhich is why just adding a dedicated separate media player fills that gap well. You simply switch from HDMI1 on the TV to HDMI2 and pick up the other device remote. Its pretty painless.

If you wanted to you could always grab a cheap harmony remote to handle all the switching etc into a single remote (something like this maybe?)

If you want to try another single box solution then the usual suspects still apply. Probably the Beyonwiz T3 or T4? Add in an IceTV subscription for series record if you want.

Regards

Peter Gillespie