Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
petetherock

Dynaudio Speaker Chat

11 posts in this topic

I began using them way back in 1994, with the Audience series - a 52 and the C 120+, and left them behind when I moved to Sydney, and after a sojourn away to other brands like B&W, MA, Usher, JBL etc, I am back with this.

The Audience series was not easy to drive - they shut down my old SR 19. I had to move to the SR 18 to get meaningful output from them, and eventually settled on Rotel power amps.

Now that I am back to a rather small apartment, I have to come back to bookshelf speakers, and here I am :)

So in my quest, I started out looking for the Contour series, but I was out of the game for so long that I didn't know that they were being phased out.

That set off a crazy search for the SCX centre, which has the Esotar2 tweeter, and I went around Australia, NZ, Singapore and even made contact with the folks at HQ, in Denmark..

The dealer in Singapore was changing so there were bargains to be had - talk to "Dynaudio Singapore" - nice chap called Nick for more info..

Eventually settled on the Confidence 1 and Centre from their new Platinum series. Cost more than an arm and a leg, I can tell you, but the shipment is in!

Confidence Platinum Centre
It's still early days, but the Confidence Platinum Centre has been the most impressive of the two, even when compared to the C1. It is indeed a revelation in HT, underpinning the voice, effects, soundtrack score and more. But as an experiment, I used it as a mono speaker for music, and it was amazing.
Sure, you may say, for it's price, it should even toast the bread for you, but despite costing an arm and a leg, it is indeed a quantum leap for me, over the older HTM4s that I was using. Quite simply, it was musical, accurate, neutral and most importantly, captivating.

Essentially it's a brace of C1 speaker components in a single box, yet, it's more than that. The frequency range is extended, and locks the focus onto the screen.

With the ability to swivel, it's a USD 600 bonus to have the base stand built in. The downside is the location of the speaker terminal, at the bottom, so it makes it hard to use large banana plugs and tilt the speakers to the lowest position.
The supplied screws aren't as well fitting as befitting a premium $15k product, even with the supplied aluminium footers.

In the end, the best sound came from using Mopads underneath the stand, tightening the bass, and also adding a bit of height to allow more swivel.

New Contour series:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/dynaudio-aims-to-top-legend-new-contour-speakers?utm_content=buffer30d7e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

There will be four Contour speakers in total: the Contour 20 (€4500) standmount speaker, the Contour 30 (€7000) and Contour 60 (€9000) floorstanders, and the Contour 25C centre channel (€3250).

All the speakers were designed and manufactured at Dynaudio's new factory in Denmark, and aim to deliver deep, substantial bass alongside class-leading stereo imaging.
Each speaker has completely new woofers, designed especially for each model, while all the speakers use Dynaudio's Esotar 2 tweeter, previously found on the company's flagship speakers.
More after the break
Alongside the drivers there are new aluminium voice calls, promising 70 per cent more extension compared to previous models, plus heavily-braced, curved cabinets with a solid aluminium front baffle.
The new Contour speakers will be available in white oak satin, walnut satin, high-gloss black and high-gloss white. Bubinga high gloss and rosewood high-gloss will be available on request.

http://www.dynaudio.com/dynaudio-academy/2016/may/dynaudio-introduces-its-all-new-contour-loudspeaker-series/

Expected introduction: October, a little later for the centre channel.

As mentioned in the press release, Rosewood and Bubinga high gloss are available on special order. There will be other options available which are not mentioned in the press release, but I can't say for sure right now how those options will pan out. But there will be several options. Please note that a lot of features are different when you change the color of the cabinet: The aluminum front baffle will be natural (silver) on white and white oak cabinets, and dark grey on black and darker veneers. The WBT terminals on the back also change color, black on models with black front plate, white on models with natural (silver) front plate. There are many small details like this, that are not necessarily readily apparent, but makes for a very harmonious design. You really need to see them live to get an idea of the quality feel of the product. Another detail is the way the woofer chassis curves to match the curved edges of the front baffle (which does make a difference in the acoustics, it is not only an aesthetic choice). Note that this is not a design ring that is mounted onto the chassis, this is the actual design of the chassis itself. This is an example of an approach where we wanted to go with a very "honest" design, we have made a better looking speaker without resorting to superficial design add-ons.

We wanted to make the speaker look and sound new, but to keep the Dynaudio DNA. However, starting out, nothing was off the table from the get-go - we have researched heavily into new materials and concepts. Some have resulted in new details, others have only reinforced our confidence in our existing concepts. For instance, the woofers are still using MSP material - we simply did not find a better choice. However, EVERYTHING else about these woofers are new, even though they look like any other Dynaudio driver from the outside. For the 18 cm woofer used in the 20 and 30, we have a new geometry of the membrane, new surround, new spider material and geometry, new glassfiber voice coil former, new magnet design... I might have forgotten something. It is redesigned from the ground up. The goal of this driver was to improve bass response, without sacrificing midrange performance. What we achieved was a whopping 70% increase in driver excursion over the 17W75 used in Contour 1.4, AND a better midrange response. The maximum SPL and frequency range of the Contour 20 is MUCH better than the Contour 1.4.

Part of this, it must be said, is that the Contour 20 is quite a bit larger than a 1.4. It is very similar in size to a Special 25. Speaking of which, yes we are now using Esotar2 in all models, basically the same driver as in the Special 25, however, minute changes in the design of the front plate actually improves on the smoothness of the sound.

Crossovers are brand-new, redesigned from the ground up, and using higher-quality components than what we have historically used in this price range.

Contour 30 will use two of the same 18 cm drivers. Contour 60 will use an equally brand-new 15 cm midrange, plus two 24 cm newly developed bass drivers, that were specifically designed for low frequencies in ways that we have not had the habit of doing in the past. I have not actually heard this speaker yet as it is not finished, but the bass performance of this (quite large) speaker should be extremely impressive. Note that these drivers are completely different from any 24 cm driver used in the past. 25C centre channel will be a 2-way design (I'm sure we will have this discussion again, refer to the answer I gave earlier in the year for our position on this). It will be a large center channel, using two of the same 18 cm drivers as the Contour 20 and 30.

As for the sound tuning, it is certainly more akin to the newer models, with a more open sound than what you would find in the older series. Listening to the Contour 20, especially at the show where the sound is extremely impressive if I can take the liberty to say so myself, I don't see anyone arguing that this is not a major improvement in every way, over the 1.4.

As a sidenote: The X28C is also on the show floor, to be introduced at the beginning of June. More info on that later, but yes, this is also a 2-way design, using 14 cm drivers.
Otto Jørgensen
Customer Care Manager, Denmark
Dynaudio A/S

New Excite X28 centre:

Easy to set up, even more easy to enjoy: X28
Captivating Excite sound quality in your home theater: The easy-to-set-up, compact X28 Center rounds out the Excite Series as the ideal solution for surround systems. The X28 features dual mid/woofers flanking a fabric dome tweeter, while its 8 Ohm impedance renders it a perfect match with any AV receiver in a modern, high performance home theater. A seamless, enveloping sound and homogenous integration with the Excite main and surround loudspeakers is achieved via the shared MSP driver cones, soft dome tweeter diaphragms, lightweight aluminium voice coils and large magnet systems. Even the dispersion character is a perfect fit with the Excite multi-channel system. Set-up is particularly simplified: the X28 is exceptionally compact, and features an integrated base/foot that allows upward angling for improved directivity. It can also be removed to facilitate installations where space is minimal, or supplemented by a Dynaudio wall mount bracket. The X28 cabinet features a magnetically-attached front grille and is available in the four standard Excite finishes to offer optimal aesthetic integration into any living space.
Edited by petetherock