Sign in to follow this  
bradp51

Very Happy With My New Panasonic Bd Recorder

I purchased the 955 also, didn't need 3 tuners but 2tb drive will come in handy. I have to take mine to panasonic service soon so they can make the dvd drive region free as they do this under warranty.

The only thing I have noticed is going the tv guide it flickers & then the screen blacks out & then the guide appears. This is through hdmi via av receiver.

Bought a Pana BD recorder from Hardly Normal. It was $599. Expensive but comes with a 2 TB HD and 3 tuners. You can see the internet on your TV and it does netflix as well.

Have not worked out all it can do yet but it was very easy to set up. Its a DMR BWT955

The FetchTV is only $300 outright and has a very good series record. I believe the EPG and series record features are included if you buy it outright (at Harvey Norman)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

How does the Panasonic DMR BWT955 perform for streaming media of the local network? We're using the FetchTV which in our case works well for TV / Recorded TV / Netflix but the user interface is quite clunky for the local media (DLNA) so I'm considering alternatives. Also, is it correct that the unit also supports optical disk playback? [The instructions seem to show that this is the case but I just don't see the optical drive on the front panel.]

Edited by zydeco

I'd suggest you might be better off grabbing a $100 media player to add to your mix (FireTV, AppleTV, XStreamer, WD TV)

If you've got Netflix covered then I'd got the WD TV personally.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

The 955 is suited for those who want an all in one that has some limitations for each aspect zydeco that you may judge to be important or not . Yes it plays back bluray;s and other codecs disc playback [as well as recording onto bd re/rw blank discs etc] and has 3 tuners for fta with a very good uniphier chipset . I would get a media player like peter suggests if only for better codec coverage and I also read this on whirlpool for the 945 variant -

''some limitations:

- it does not look possible to copy movies to the 2TB HDD from an external USB drive
- you cannot play video from a USB drive at the same time as the DVR is recording some live TV'' - these codecs are ok ; AVCHD, AVCHD 3D Progressive, JPEG, MPO, MP3.

If recording discs panasonic have had compatability problems in the past with finalizing those discs to play back on other makes players iirc

How does the Panasonic DMR BWT955 perform for streaming media of the local network? We're using the FetchTV which in our case works well for TV / Recorded TV / Netflix but the user interface is quite clunky for the local media (DLNA) so I'm considering alternatives. Also, is it correct that the unit also supports optical disk playback? [The instructions seem to show that this is the case but I just don't see the optical drive on the front panel.]

Edited by cwt