Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fermenter

Beyonwiz T4 Questions

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I think it's time to replace my DP-Lite, and I'm hoping for feedback on how the T4 stacks up with the following issues:

Naming of recordings:

I record everything to the HDD, but then generally trim and transfer movies etc to my NAS for storage. I only ever watch them back via the DVR, but the DP-Lite's menu takes up half the screen with the date, time and length of all recordings, and then truncates the actual movie names, which is annoying. It also looks crap if I have a mix of other movie files in the same menu that weren't recorded on the BW, as they have no date/time/length info preceding their filename. Can I choose to NOT show the date/time/length info on recording names with the T4, and just see the actual movie names? If so, do I also then have to lose that info on local HDD files, or can I get the best of both worlds (ie, local recordings display date/time/length, while archived movies on NAS display movie title only)?

Music playing:

I have all my music on the NAS as FLAC. I understand the T4 handles FLAC, but does it have a good interface for serving up music (ie, is it easy to play full albums, shuffle tracks in an artist or genre etc?)

Pink screen:

My DP-Lite seems to like dropping a colour channel and going pink sometime between switching the TV off and back on again. Sometimes switching inputs on the my AVR will fix it, other times I have to power cycle the BW. Google returns that this is not unique to my machine, and BW's response seemed to be an instruction that the TV should always be turned on before the DVR (which is absurd, as it suggests you can't leave the DVR on between viewing sessions). Has anyone seen this happen in a T4?

Finally, any recommendations for alternative machines? I'm happy with the general operation of the BW but am I missing something seriously cool?!

Many thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hi everyone, I think it's time to replace my DP-Lite, and I'm hoping for feedback on how the T4 stacks up with the following issues:

Naming of recordings:

I record everything to the HDD, but then generally trim and transfer movies etc to my NAS for storage. I only ever watch them back via the DVR, but the DP-Lite's menu takes up half the screen with the date, time and length of all recordings, and then truncates the actual movie names, which is annoying. It also looks crap if I have a mix of other movie files in the same menu that weren't recorded on the BW, as they have no date/time/length info preceding their filename. Can I choose to NOT show the date/time/length info on recording names with the T4, and just see the actual movie names? If so, do I also then have to lose that info on local HDD files, or can I get the best of both worlds (ie, local recordings display date/time/length, while archived movies on NAS display movie title only)?

Music playing:

I have all my music on the NAS as FLAC. I understand the T4 handles FLAC, but does it have a good interface for serving up music (ie, is it easy to play full albums, shuffle tracks in an artist or genre etc?)

Pink screen:

My DP-Lite seems to like dropping a colour channel and going pink sometime between switching the TV off and back on again. Sometimes switching inputs on the my AVR will fix it, other times I have to power cycle the BW. Google returns that this is not unique to my machine, and BW's response seemed to be an instruction that the TV should always be turned on before the DVR (which is absurd, as it suggests you can't leave the DVR on between viewing sessions). Has anyone seen this happen in a T4?

A dedicated media player would have better options for file playback as its a pvr 1st and foremost fermenter . Ide make sure the t4 play backed ok any obscure codecs you may have like dvd vob's or Dvd iso's . I asked once about bd iso's but theres a limit to what can be processed ..

The pink screen is a consequence of hdmi handshaking ; my p1 does the same now and then . Switching the tv off means its edid communications is lost to the pvr [ this can happen to any hdmi component] so it searches for the correct colour space for the panel and doesnt get an e-edid reply :no: The turn on sequence can be very important for good comms ; The tv [sink] is what I switch on 1st as bw suggests so the pvr gets what it needs to send the right audio codec[ 2ch mixdown say] and video ..

The T4 has a lot of options compared to the old series so Ide ask at the bw forum anything more specific about renaming titles . You may also want to look at the humax 4 tune :question: The channels are slowly switching over to mpeg4 so whichever way you go 4 tuners from bw or humax may come in handy ..

http://www.humaxdigital.com/au/products/product.php?gid=494

http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/forum/