Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John-L

Which Pvr Is The Best For Accurately Recording Closed Captions?

4 posts in this topic

Observations after doing some more testing/watching:

If a TV series has good quality captions it will have good quality captions throughout the entire series. Each and every episode has good quality captions.

If a TV series has poor quality captions it will have poor quality captions throughout the entire series. Each and every episode has poor quality captions.

Channel 7 appears to be the worst network for broadcasting poor quality captions on series imported from the USA (not sure about caption quality on local content). Not sure whether there is any link between caption quality and particular US networks (eg CBS, NBC, ABC). On another note, a friend did tell me that a few years ago that captions on SBS and ABC used to be really bad because they had technical problems with broadcasting captions on shows bought from the BBC - apparently this is no longer a problem.

We are going to phone the broadcasters and try to get them to improve things because the captions problem does affect the viewing enjoyment of our deaf friends.

In all honesty nothing will happen or be achieved. Your concern will be noted along with the many other strange and weird things that the viewing general public call in about. The broadcasters are not concerned with what happens to the program after they send it to the ether, that is your concern (the viewer). That the captions are there in the live to air real time viewing is all that matters. If the viewer has any problems after that, too bad.

It may sound harsh but that is the cold hard reality.

The broadcaster has fulfilled their responsibilities.

I have noticed with one of my recorders that on playback the second line of the captions is usually missing, but if I go to reverse play they are all there, so sometimes when I have trouble hearing a line of dialogue, I turn on the captions and if it has a "missing" line I play it backwards to see the full sentence etc then go forward again. That unit is a Toppy TF5000.

In all honesty nothing will happen or be achieved ... The broadcaster has fulfilled their responsibilities.

I agree that the broadcasters will try to do nothing and they believe the issue will go away (ie people will give up complaining so they will not have to do anything to improve captions). And when I rang both the broadcasters and the pvr manufacturer, they both blamed each other. But that does not mean people should give up and should not push for improved captioning.

I disagree that the broadcaster has fulfilled their responsibilities. Would hearing people consider that the broadcasters had fulfilled their responsibilities if the audio matched the captioning errors? For example, if the audio was lost every time the captioning was lost, would hearing people accept this? Because in essence, that is exactly what deaf people are experiencing. To deaf people, the captions are the audio - so when captions go missing it is exactly the same as if the audio is turned off for hearing people.

I disagree that the broadcaster has fulfilled their responsibilities. Would hearing people consider that the broadcasters had fulfilled their responsibilities if the audio matched the captioning errors? For example, if the audio was lost every time the captioning was lost, would hearing people accept this? Because in essence, that is exactly what deaf people are experiencing. To deaf people, the captions are the audio - so when captions go missing it is exactly the same as if the audio is turned off for hearing people.

I hear what you are saying (pardon the pun), as I said the requirement is for the program at the time of broadcast to be captioned and for it to manifest on the screen in a timely and proper manner.

The problem you and others have is a replay from a recording which is out of their hands, and responsibility. That the replay device cannot apparently display the captioning in the same manner as when it was broadcast in no longer the territory of theirs or the regulator. It sounds like a washing of the hands but that is the simple truth.

Of course the other thing is that in doing something as such about that problem would be condoning the recording of program content which gets into copyright infringement areas. I'm not sure if there has been relaxing of the laws but as we all know they turn a blind eye to it because it is too hard to police. There was a large outcry when the first tape recorders were brought out but it was decided that as long as it was for personal use only and not for monetary gain it could be overlooked.

Possibly as suggested earlier see if you can get a unit from a retailer on the condition that if it doesn't do the captions properly when playing a recording, you can bring it back for a refund or exchange.

Edited by hrh