Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MRCRIST

Great News For Panasonic Owners Of The 11G/12G/13G Models

34 posts in this topic

I have been away from this forum for quite a while but don't know if you guys are aware that a guy on avsforum who goes by the name of Audiodane has come up with a device that resets your TV back to "new condition" as far as hours is concerned ie everytime you accumulate about 150 hours of viewing the device resets the TV back to "zero". hours.

What this does is give you the blacks before the mll rise ie same mll when you first purchased it..

Link to his website http://audiodane.dandk.org/pmcv2/

Link to discussion on AVS http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1167339-panasonic-11g-12g-13g-black-levels-have-seemingly-doubled-overnight-384.html

I have purchased one on his ebay site interesting what it does when it gets here.

On his testimonials page a guy called Bernie from Australia has used it on his Th p65Vt20a (exact set as I own) and took mll readings after installation with excellent results.http://audiodane.dandk.org/pmcv1-feedback/

I have my 65vt20a in storage and will connect device as per instructions when it arrives.

May put the vt60 on ice and get some more use of the vt20 :)

There seems to be a possible incompatibility with the GX2X models and Audiodane is currently working on a fix.

Edited by MRCRIST

I was the first person to buy this in Australia, Audiodane confirmed this. I bought it last year.

I am Champ77 on AVSforum.

I bought it for my TH-65PZ850A and I can state that the PMCv1 that I bought works fine.

I used to use Mironto's guide with the Arduino setup and a laptop, but figured to buy the process that is automated with the PMCv1.

The screen would be grey and at night would light up the room, the picture quality was degrading. I did the Arduino fix and it worked.

Then Audiodane came up with an automated device so I opted for this.

I let the set build up its hours and you could see, even with your own eyes, especially at night that the black level was changing over time.

I plugged the PMCv1 in and it did it's magic.

So I'm happy and it's like I bought a brand new 2008/2009 model TV! :D

Great to read the unit does what it says.

Yes I do recall your name on the AVS thread

I came across the unit purely by luck because I wanted to see how this "old" topic ended on AVS. To my surprise someone finally came up with a solution.

Edited by MRCRIST

MrCrist

I still have the Panasonic 58" V10 that we bought in late 2008 or 2009. Myer Marion IIRC. How I succumbed to the 'extra warranty' I will never know. It has been a very good panel though.

You have had a lot of panels since, but I still have the 'original'.

I look forward to hearing how the piece of kit works, and whether it makes $100 difference.

Honestly, I haven't checked how black my blacks are, because knowing the answer would be useless, as there would have been nothing I could do to correct it without replacing the panel. There are some things which it is pointless finding out about, if you can't (or won't) do anything about the answer.

Benje

MrCrist

I still have the Panasonic 58" V10 that we bought in late 2008 or 2009. Myer Marion IIRC. How I succumbed to the 'extra warranty' I will never know. It has been a very good panel though.

You have had a lot of panels since, but I still have the 'original'.

I look forward to hearing how the piece of kit works, and whether it makes $100 difference.

Honestly, I haven't checked how black my blacks are, because knowing the answer would be useless, as there would have been nothing I could do to correct it without replacing the panel. There are some things which it is pointless finding out about, if you can't (or won't) do anything about the answer.

Benje

Hi James

I gave mine to my mother in law and it has never missed a beat. The V10 is adaptable to this unit and many have installed it in them..

Will give you a full appraisal when the unit arrives and I have tested it out..

From what is being discussed on the rising blacks thread it has improved the contrast of the TV by tricking it into thinking it has zero hours on it. The electronic gadget is designed to reset the clock back to zero automatically when it registers 150 hours of viewing use.

From what I read on AVS Panasonic sort of admitted they got it wrong with these models ie increasing the voltage discharge of the panel to the magnitude it did.

If you know the folk on avsforum if there was anything false about the claims then it would be made public on the thread.

The beauty of purchasing it on ebay is that you can get your refund if it proves not to work.

Also you can turn the unit off at anytime which in a sense defeats the purpose. When you do everything resumes back as it was before installation and commissioning it.

PS they also provide instructions for a "DIY fix" at no extra cost but what the heck I rather someone else do it for me.

I have provided a link to AVS above on the matter. Grab yourself a bottle of red and put the laptop on your lap and enjoy the read.

Also keeps you out of your wifes hair for a while :)

Edited by MRCRIST

Very tempted to just buy it as some of the before and after photos are sensational.

Looking forward to reading how it works for you as my Panasonic plasma is a keeper..

Very tempted to just buy it as some of the before and after photos are sensational.

Looking forward to reading how it works for you as my Panasonic plasma is a keeper..

Will let you know.

for around $115 oz worth a try. also if not satisfied can always get your money back less freight.

The unit "PMCV2" arrived today.

amazing how small it is.

Comes with two types of connectors. I had to remove the attached one and fit the alternative connector to the unit.

On my VT20 the service panel is plastic and attached by adhesive.

I removed the cover. It was fairly easy.

There is a procedure you need to go through

I. Put the TV in standby.

2. Turn of using the "switch" on the TV

3 Attach PMCV2 to the service port on TV using connector attached to the PMCV2

4. Power up TV using on/off switch on TV. The TV is in standby mode

5 Turn TV on using remote control.

6. The TV will show no picture and the green led light on the PMCV2 will blink.

7. Your TV has been reset to "out of box" MLL levels.

8. Turn TV off with remote.

9. Turn TV back on and you will immediately notice the difference in contrast improvement.

The unit is plug and play and will reset black levels every 150 hours of use.

I tucked the unit into the TV and put the cover back on.

I am very impressed with the result and it makes the VT20 very watchable once more.

I have put my prized VT60 in storage for now.

People in the US with the V10 have noted better results as the mll rise on the V10 and 800 was more a lot more aggressive.

Edited by MRCRIST

Thank you very much.

Once I have finished here I will order one.

If you have any questions once you get it let me know

MrCrist

I assume there was a reason for putting the "V10" reference in there......

I also assume you are keeping yours, and recommend others to buy a unit.

Yes and Yes are the presumed answers. :)

Benje

edit - I suspect my TV, once 're-blacked' will look better than my neighbour's LCD Samsung once again.

My wife has been complaining that their picture for AFL is better, which I can only put down to the deterioration (perhaps) in the plasma blacks compared to the newer (one year old) Samsung. We will see, in a month's time.

Edited by Benje

Sold my 65inch V10 last year for peanuts.......if I had known about this I would have probably kept it as it still provided a great picture apart from the blacks getting a bit greyer.

Can't complain too much though as the 65" VT60 I replaced it with is a beauty.

MrCrist

I assume there was a reason for putting the "V10" reference in there......

I also assume you are keeping yours, and recommend others to buy a unit.

Yes and Yes are the presumed answers. :)

Benje

edit - I suspect my TV, once 're-blacked' will look better than my neighbour's LCD Samsung once again.

My wife has been complaining that their picture for AFL is better, which I can only put down to the deterioration (perhaps) in the plasma blacks compared to the newer (one year old) Samsung. We will see, in a month's time.

I am confident you both will be very pleased with the result.

You can now watch the Crows demolish teams with excellent contrast :D

The V10's had a very aggressive mll rise as stated above. Seems after reading copious posts on the AVS thread that the voltage increase was a complete "stuff up" by Panasonic but something they would not admit.

Amazing that a couple of electronic guru's have put their heads together with one Audiodane coming up with the plug and play solution.

And yes you are right Benje I put that comment in re V10 to wet your appetite :) after having read it in posts on AVS I thought mmm...Benje :D

Edited by MRCRIST

Sold my 65inch V10 last year for peanuts.......if I had known about this I would have probably kept it as it still provided a great picture apart from the blacks getting a bit greyer.

Can't complain too much though as the 65" VT60 I replaced it with is a beauty.

I thought I might revisit the thread on AVS and low and behold they finally "cracked it" and found a solution rather than ****.

I starting reading to establish when the solution gained impetus and it was Mironto who came up with resetting the clock manually.

Audiodane went the next step with co-operation from Mironto and got started on a plug and play solution.

Re 65Vt60 I have the same TV and yes it is one beautiful plasma that I want to keep for a long time.

Edited by MRCRIST

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/tv/download/fw/aoma/down_oc.html

For what it is worth I have just updated the firmware on my Panasonic TH-P54V20A, it had never been updated before from new, and to my surprise the update has reset the black levels to as new. I have viewed this improvement in a dark room which after 5 years of use was more of a dark grey than anything near black.

Secondly the TV used to buzz quite loudly whenever I viewed the on-screen program guide, it now only produces a slight buzz from the power supply when listening close to the screen, and hardly audible if that at the sofa 10 feet away.

The picture is much crisper now due to the better black levels........but unfortunately, I see this only as a temporary condition as this was a firmware update (it's first) and not something that can be refreshed every 150 hours, unless of course Panasonic has revised its MLL settings in the firmware as a steady state conition, I can only hope.

See the link above...... though in the 'improvements' mentioned do not state other changes made in the firmware.

P.S One can use a Pen drive rather than an SD card to download the firmware file into the TV for an upgrade. Either way the TV will recognize it, it is an automated process in itself.

C.M

Edited by Chicken Man

can you reload the old firmware, the reload the new firmware with a reset?

I have a gizmo coming... for my v10

I don't think so.................there was nothing included within the firmware update that would allow for a recovery.

It all ran pretty smoothly and was simplicity in itself, just follow the instruction on screen. I don't think this firmware update includes a 'permanent ' fix for the MLL problem in the older models but rather just a one time resetting. Time will tell soon enough.

If you have a gizmo coming I would stay with that for the time being then maybe later try the firmware update. It may not matter either way but the link is always there.

C.M

I run triple U20 displays and am looking at buying three of these. Unfortunately Dane doesn't know if the unit will work for my tv model. Has anyone seen any evidence to the yay or nay?

Much thanks to MRCRIST for bringing the news about this.

I run triple U20 displays and am looking at buying three of these. Unfortunately Dane doesn't know if the unit will work for my tv model. Has anyone seen any evidence to the yay or nay?

Much thanks to MRCRIST for bringing the news about this.

Cant you use the one unit to do all three TV's?