First person to mention this will be banned from this forum :blink:

cheers laurie

Gee, I can't think what manufacturer point 10 is aimed at

First person to mention this will be banned from this forum :blink:

cheers laurie

is this the same manufacturer behind point 4...hehehe OK carefull now ! hehehe

Lots of home truths in that lot.

Worthy of a sticky.

I've asked coral if can be pinned up top. think its some pretty good pointers in there especially for someone new to HT.

I've asked coral if can be pinned up top. think its some pretty good pointers in there especially for someone new to HT.

OR for someone thinking of buying a BOSE system... :blink:

Cheers.

8. Two really nice guys sold you two impressively large speakers at an amazing price from the back of their truck in a supermarket parking lot.

What ever happened to the mob that used to do this? A few years ago I had them approach me 3 times in a as many months at different melbourne shopping centres.

Were they finally put out of business?

They are still around Southland - approached a mate of mine a couple of weeks ago, and they've expanded! Now they have hifi systems too. DVD players and Home-Theatre-in-a-Box stuff.

ten Biggest mistakes Of SpEaker and home theatre shopping

So -- pardon my trolling, but I don't visit this part of the forum at all much -- what's the deal with these guys? Don't they have subwoofer components as well as the little speakers too? I had the impression -- and feel free to correct me, as seems to be happening here -- that this company puts noticeably more into those tiny speakers than anyone else can for that size.

So what's better? Or, more to the point, what gives me the same quality (as BOSE) for the best price!! (Really, I would appreciate an honest attempt at an answer to this. I'm not after a system that's jaw-droppingly expensive, believe it or not).

Perhaps because I'm new here, you could help by answering from either one of these perspectives:

- Good speakers should reproduce exactly what they are given. If you have a perfect microphone connected to a perfect speaker, the sound should be the same, so that if you re-record what comes out of the speakers again, it won't be changed. This is probably known as a flat response curve? I believe that some TV/radio studios use some brands in particular that achieve this. And I'm guessing that you have to spend some reasonable money, but probably not the most expensive brand, either.

or ...

- Good speakers should reproduce an impressive sound. This should impress the senses, and if it sounds better than the real thing, yet not artificial, then this is the goal. This can be achieved with various combinations of expensive speaker hardware, valve technologies, and/or sound processing. For instance, take any music recorded in the '80s or earlier, add some stereophonic depth to it, and it will sound 'better' and more modern. Add a similar effect to a rough-as-guts MP3, and it helps too, bringing back some of its quality. Add that effect to the original CD track, and it might help, or it might "help", or it might simply overcook it. Roughly the same thing goes for TV shows. This principle also applies to surround sounds, because you have to arbitrarily decide what goes in front and behind, since you can't always change sound direction whenever the camera angle changes (plus, lots of things don't sound impressive since they are just sitting in front of you in real life, so you have to 'create' some surround sound to make those expensive speakers useful at all ... this may be the case for your 'location' in a symphony orchestra, or for a natural sound effect in a movie, or also for a totally artificial sound effect).

CK.

Hi Superman,

Before the "heavies" come in and pounce, let me say that if you look hard you WILL find supporters on the forum for BOSE. But there is a strong argument against as well.

The biggest plus is probably the high WAF! That was certainly true in my case some years ago.

Anyway to aid your discussion on what has gone before have a look at some of these:

Bose surround sound systems

Why does everyone bag them?

49 replies / 1973 views

Bose Lifestyle 50

Is this a good deal at $4,999?

61 replies /2103 views

Bose Jewel Cube Speakers

The Inside Views

27 replies / 804 views

It's been some time since i ventured into the dark depths of the forums... i think i lost a few years of my life in here somewhere...

anyhoo I also wanted to comment on the issue of the "Two really nice guys sold you two impressively large speakers at an amazing price from the back of their truck in a supermarket parking lot."

I work as a custom installer in Hamilton, Western Victoria and had a guy call me this week wanting me to come over and install his brand new system that he got real cheap. He picked up this full 7.1 theatre set from the Hungry Jacks carpark in Geelong.

Maybe they have been forced out of the supermarket carparks in the city and are heading West to satisfy all the bargain hunters in the country...

It's been some time since i ventured into the dark depths of the forums... i think i lost a few years of my life in here somewhere...

anyhoo I also wanted to comment on the issue of the "Two really nice guys sold you two impressively large speakers at an amazing price from the back of their truck in a supermarket parking lot."

I work as a custom installer in Hamilton, Western Victoria and had a guy call me this week wanting me to come over and install his brand new system that he got real cheap. He picked up this full 7.1 theatre set from the Hungry Jacks carpark in Geelong.

Maybe they have been forced out of the supermarket carparks in the city and are heading West to satisfy all the bargain hunters in the country...

Well, bruiser, that's conclusive proof of what I posted in the Regional Victorian sub-forum recently

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=ST&f=35&t=37570

By the way, how did the system sound, just out of interest? :blink: