Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alanh

Get The Best Reception Regional Nsw

104 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I will be installing a new antenna and LCD tv in my in laws home in Narrabri (NSW) next weekend, and as I'm taking what gear I'll need with me from The Gold Coast I was hoping that some knowledgable people in here could advise me on what antenna is best suited for Narrabri?

I'll be running new RG6 cable, along with F-type connections and a 2 way spliter, and I've been advised by a sales person at Harvey Norman Moree that Narrabri has one of the best DTV receptions in the area (although he knew nothing about antenna's).

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Peter

Peter,

Your Gold Coast antennas will be useless in Narrabri.

Read the first post in this strand including the transmitter list link. In that link all the NSW transmitters are listed by region. Look at the NW slopes area. You can check the coverage areas of the transmitters by the second link in my post Coverage areas. Insert the transmitter locations into its search engine.

On the table there is an antenna category. In the main post, click on the category for a list of possible antennas. These names link to their manufacturers.

AlanH

Peter,

Your Gold Coast antennas will be useless in Narrabri.

Read the first post in this strand including the transmitter list link. In that link all the NSW transmitters are listed by region. Look at the NW slopes area. You can check the coverage areas of the transmitters by the second link in my post Coverage areas. Insert the transmitter locations into its search engine.

On the table there is an antenna category. In the main post, click on the category for a list of possible antennas. These names link to their manufacturers.

AlanH

Thanks Alan,

Sounds easy when you say it :) I'm normally pretty good with this sort of thing but I ended up with 24 (okay maybe a slight exaggeration) screens open, and couldn't find Narrabri anywhere? Maybe I had a "male look".

After a couple of attemps I "think" a H34+ is what I'll be needing? If that's the case they look at lot like phased array atenna's which I can get locally MUCH cheaper than in Narrabri.

Thanks again for your quick response, I'll dive back in and have another look (this time a female look).

Peter

Peter,

I would assume that coverage would come from the Mt Dowe high power transmitter. So H34+ is correct. Click on this in my post and pick one of the types there.

AlanH

Peter,

I would assume that coverage would come from the Mt Dowe high power transmitter. So H34+ is correct. Click on this in my post and pick one of the types there.

AlanH

Thanks Alan....will do.

It seems strange to me though that under the H34+ section there are at least two types of antenna design. I understand one is for fringe area's (phased array), I don't think Narrabri would come under that catagory seeing as the transmission tower is "high power" and quite close, but the non fringe antenna ...say a NAS ANTSBUN3S, seems to be a hybrid VHF-UHF antenna and seeing as Narrabri has full DTV now I'm not sure I understand why this type of antenna would fit the bill?

I guess what I'm asking for Alan is for your eminent advice. Under H34+ there are several options, the question is......"which one would you choose"? I'm travelling 700km's to do this "little" job and would really like to do it right :)

Peter

I guess what I'm asking for Alan is for your eminent advice. Under H34+ there are several options, the question is......"which one would you choose"? I'm travelling 700km's to do this "little" job and would really like to do it right :)

Peter

What antenna you need depends in how much signal is available .

The only way to find out is by measuring it with a field strength meter

If you use the high gain antenna in a high signal area you risk possible signal overload of the tuner.

If you use the lower gain antenna and the signal strength in your area is low then you risk problems due to insufficient signal.

In reality,the difference in gains between to two will be nothing compared to the change in levels that occur as the position of the antenna is chosen.

If you really want it right,get out a local antenna installer that has a digital meter

They will also be able to fit better hex or compression fittings as apposed to the twist ons you will likely use.

The other reason is that where the best position is found will require certain mounting hardware.

It may be 1 meter off the roof or up to several meters,guyed or staybars.

Edited by bellotv

Hi all,

I will be installing a new antenna and LCD tv in my in laws home in Narrabri (NSW) next weekend, and as I'm taking what gear I'll need with me from The Gold Coast I was hoping that some knowledgable people in here could advise me on what antenna is best suited for Narrabri?

I'll be running new RG6 cable, along with F-type connections and a 2 way spliter, and I've been advised by a sales person at Harvey Norman Moree that Narrabri has one of the best DTV receptions in the area (although he knew nothing about antenna's).

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Peter

Peter, Narrabri is in the shadow of the Mt kaputar Platau (Mt Dowe/Upper namoi) TV Reception is verry strong and all you will need is a basic Muti band VHF/UHF Combo & that will do just fine. B)

In fact TV reception is that good in Narrabri that some people don't even have external antennas on there houses :D

http://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/frequenc...43&presdir=

Edited by RayDio

hi... i can currently get all channals except sbs on my tuner in my lcd tv aka LG 42LK450-TA... i live in cooma nsw... the thing is i want a set top box that is the same or better as my tuner in my tv... if i get a rank arena hd set top box with usb recording will i get all the channels i know i can pick up or will it be worse then my tv tuner?... also im useing an indoor antena cos my outdoor one only picks up like 5 channels and my indoor picks up all except sbs thing is i live in a unit/joint house/im sharing my antena with others attached to my house so yeah... i would like an outdoor ariel as good or better then my indoor one but my real estate/the peeps i pay rent to/etc. don't understand why im getting poor reception and think the arial is fine when its not and im scared to pay for a new better one to be installed cos i might get ripd off and it be no better then the one that is currently there not to mention id have to pay to link it to everyone elses house making it cost more/more expensive :(... wat should i do?... i ended up signing up for the household assistance scheme/digital switch over telling the truth but im not eligible for an antena ; ; only a set top box but i left a note stating i can only get 5 chanals on my outdoor arial and every chanal except sbs on my indoor arial even tho my area coverage is good and i should be able to get all channals -sigh- oh well at least i know this set top box will be as good if not better then my tuner in my tv :S... when they comeover perhaps i can pay them to install an antenna myself idk...

Edited by Melissa George

Hi Melissa,

The reason you're not receiving SBS, is because it's not transmitting yet from the main transmitter site on Mt Roberts.

Depending where you are in Cooma, you may be able to receive SBS and all the other channels from the Cooma Town translators, which are located at the Telstra Site, Radio Hill Off Polo Flat Rd Cooma.

Depending on the compatability of your existing roof mounted antenna, the direction it's pointing and the terrain between your antenna and the translators, so it's possible by realigning the antenna, you may be able to receive all channels. And so too would others who share the antenna, but from your description, the roof mounted antenna and/or distribution needs some work.

You could try manually entering the SBS frequency from Cooma Town, which is 802.500MHz

Melissa,

Go to http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=14026 which is the first post in this strand.

The best option is to click on the link to V5 and select an antenna from that list. It should be pointed to Radio Hill.

There is a link in that post to Indoor Antennas. Open that link and you need to use V5 instructions. The best indoor antenna for you is the Jaycar model mentioned. It needs to have the rods pushed all the way in and close to each other. The whole antenna needs to be on its side so that the small pieces are vertical. The main axis of the antenna should point at the transmitter site. You will need the gain set to maximum. Put the antenna on a wall on the same side as the transmitter even if you have to buy an antenna extension lead.

AlanH

hi... i can currently get all channals except sbs on my tuner in my lcd tv aka LG 42LK450-TA... i live in cooma nsw... the thing is i want a set top box that is the same or better as my tuner in my tv... if i get a rank arena hd set top box with usb recording will i get all the channels i know i can pick up or will it be worse then my tv tuner?... also im useing an indoor antena cos my outdoor one only picks up like 5 channels and my indoor picks up all except sbs thing is i live in a unit/joint house/im sharing my antena with others attached to my house so yeah... i would like an outdoor ariel as good or better then my indoor one but my real estate/the peeps i pay rent to/etc. don't understand why im getting poor reception and think the arial is fine when its not and im scared to pay for a new better one to be installed cos i might get ripd off and it be no better then the one that is currently there not to mention id have to pay to link it to everyone elses house making it cost more/more expensive :(... wat should i do?... i ended up signing up for the household assistance scheme/digital switch over telling the truth but im not eligible for an antena ; ; only a set top box but i left a note stating i can only get 5 chanals on my outdoor arial and every chanal except sbs on my indoor arial even tho my area coverage is good and i should be able to get all channals -sigh- oh well at least i know this set top box will be as good if not better then my tuner in my tv :S... when they comeover perhaps i can pay them to install an antenna myself idk...

As far as Im aware, your landlord is required to provide working tv outlets. Push the real estate/strata and get them to send out a technician who can test your outlet (and give your landlord a quote to fix it - though some landlords might make you wait a bit). You may even have recourse under new tenancy laws to get a technician out and claim back the costs, though this isnt my area of expertise, so that could be worth seeing if its applicable also.

Having problems lately with WIN TV transmitting to Narooma NSW. Intermittent pixalation. at no fixed time of day.(Somjtimes just audio drop out)No problems with any other network. Can anyone give me some clues as to what could be wrong and does anyone else have the same problem?:

Could be too much incoming signal or antenna might have moved slighty in high winds. Very hard to tell without a site visit and signal testing by a technician. Do any of the neighbours have the same problem? If so it could be a problem with the broadcast signal although this is highly unlikely.

It's sounding a lot like the problem northern Tasmania had with WIN some time ago. Check out the Tassie section of this forum and give WIN a call they may have learnt something about the problem they had down there.

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with reception of channel 7 and 10 in the northern nsw area?

We're on the Tweed Coast, signal out of lismore area, and in the last couple of days we've lost all of the channel 10 and 7 signal ... bad pixelation, no image, no signal, no or limited sound ...

Same at all times morning, night, day etc ...

Only just happened in the last few days ... Some neighbours seem to be having the same issue ??

Transmiter issue, local interference ???

Anyone else?

Any reason why?

Edit: PS: yes, we've tried retuning ... and no luck, and have actually lost all Channel 10 since the retune!

Edited by De'Storman

Mt.Moombil......... Kempsey to Grafton restack today.

I hope I have this in the right area.

After today's change of frequencies and retuning of equipment, I now have dropouts occurring on NBN.

From my prior readings, I understood that transmission should be from the same spots/towers for all, and nothing should change reception wise, other than a new frequency.

Is it just coincidence I have this problem?

I am in Nana Glen, towards Glenreagh.

Pixelation occurs randomly, and also during ads.

I am rural, nothing has changed, no new neighbors,equipment,electric fences etc.

I have checked the other channels and they appear ok, no pixelation/quick dropouts.

Any one experiencing an issue, or is it just me?

Thanks

Viewer,

Are these problems still occuring? We have fund that even rescanning DTV receivers after restack doesn't work. Sometimes the best way is to factory reset your receiever, power rest it, and rescan all channels again. Not sure why, I think that if a box rescans and it finds the same services in its channel list from before it doesn't re-add them, or you get some sort of confliction. After this restack we have seena couple of differnt scenarios like that.

Hope this helps.