Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Get The Best Reception, Regional Sa

Celani,

Being that far away, I would suggest that you will be disappointed in the investment. You may get occasional signals.

In addition you will find that a lot of HD programs are upconverted by the TV stations and not giving true HD signals anyway.

In your position I would still buy the TV, but buy a blueray disc player. Connect the two with an HDMI cable.

The playing of the discs will give you the amazing quality that you can see with such a TV. You will be able to see the 720P quality from the ABC1's "channel" 20 and the 576P quality of SBS's "channel 30".

I am hopefull, that there will eventually be a change to MPEG4 compression in DTV signals. Then you would be able to get all your channels in HD. This is what has happened in New Zealand. If this happens all you will need to do is to buy an new set top box.

AlanH

Cheers for the sound advice Alan.

Yeah I'm planning on watching a lot of blu-ray, but I'll be running it through a Pioneer or LiteOn blu-ray reader in my HTPC (DVI -> HDMI). HTPC will let run my playlist of 720 and 1080p music videos as well as the other videos I have stockpiled.

Can any one help me or at least give some advice?, I have a lcd flat panel (teac) we are down at Goolwa Beach area,

We have no issues with analouge at all, only the digital-after a while it will pixillate badly, we have had the antenna guy come down and have an assesment done on the signal-according to him the signal is ok and there shouldn't be any problem.

The tv has been back twice to be "repaired" 2electrolytic capacitors and pcb replaced, as I said no problems with analouge-the digital still pixilates and it's very annoying.

Does any one know about reliability of teac tvs or had similar problems???-Help!

samek,

Please read the first post in this strand. Include the SA link to identify the transmitter you should be receiving.

Also, if you can connect a different digital receiver such as a set top box to the antenna cable to check.

Please post progress here.

AlanH

samick,

Had problems with a TEAC LCD191SD recently determined it was the digital receiver inside the screen, proved it by plugging another set top box in to show that.

You could try ringing the TEAC TCCC (TEAC CUSTOMER CARE CENTRE) 1800 656 700 and run it past them to see if they have any clues.

Might be another board changeover coming up. :(

Hi, and thanks M'bozo and alan for your suggestions-I'll try and keep you all posted as to what happens, did I mention that our set is the 22" one?

I already took it back for the expert electronics blokes to have a look at the tuner inside or to at least try and electronics test it (if thats possible)

It's still under warranty and only 5months old, it would be a pity if a whole lot are affected-it might be the case, they do after all come out of china.

alan, I meant to tell you that I was shown how to recieve the "strong" signal from the nearest tower-Mt. Newland?? by plugging ariel back in at 53uhf?

One more interesting fact is we are about 1.2km? (as the crow flys) from a phone tower you can see it from the kitchen window, any thoughts?

cheers I'll let you all know what happens.

samick,

Your best type of antenna is a UHF phased array. The signal is vertically polarised, so the length of the reflector should be horizontal.

AlanH

samick.,

Hopefully it will be a TV problem that can be sorted.

Reckon Newland Hill is where your signals would most likely come from, using an antenna like this click

With a coverage map courtesy of the ABC here

Marc.

EDIT: correct linking errors

Edited by M'bozo

samick,

Your best type of antenna is a UHF phased array. The signal is vertically polarised, so the length of the reflector should be horizontal.

AlanH

Hi Alan, Samick

I have done everything that everyone has suggested, but we still have pixillating problems-is this the nature of digital??? some variance in how the signal is sent???

should quad shield be used the entire run of cable or just in side from the wall plate??

samick,

Does it pixellate all the time or only when electrical devices are switched on and off, particularly things which contain motors such as fridges, air con etc?

AlanH

Hi all,

Would someone tell me how i could get HD tv in the middle of Angaston? What sort of cost would be involved?

I am sick of not being able to get it here. The council believes the government should pay, and the government says the council should pay? I just want someone to pay and just do it. I have sent letters to both and they just kepp passing the buck. When is the cut off date for analog?

Thanks.

gravelman,

The Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is in charge of the change to digital.

The new Minister, Senator Conroy has told all, that all capital city (including Adelaide) analog TV transmitters will be switched off at the end of next year.

The Department has been tasked by the Minister to produce a changeover timetable.

I made a submission to this enquiry pointing out the all capital city translators including Angaston will need conversion to digital.

Nearly all translators except Victor Harbour but including Angaston in the outer Adelaide area are owned by the local councils.

I suggest you contact your local council and get them to investigate with the Department who will pay for the upgrade.

The cheapest option would be to warn the residents to all buy either intergrated digital TVs or HD Set Top Boxes by a nominated date. Then the transmitters can be changed over rather than having to have 10 transmitters for 5 programs. This will reduce costs and since the analog ones will not be required much longer is the best option. In smaller areas a bulk purchase of STBs will also reduce the prices to the residents.

Let me know how you get on with the council

AlanH

The new Minister, Senator Conroy has told all, that all capital city (including Adelaide) analog TV transmitters will be switched off at the end of next year.

AlanH

Alan, as I've tried to point out before - no, he hasn't said metros will turn off at the end of next year. This was an administrative change to allow the timetable to be planned and I suspect metro switchover is still a number of years away yet.

Ray

...no, he hasn't said metros will turn off at the end of next year. This was an administrative change to allow the timetable to be planned and I suspect metro switchover is still a number of years away yet.

Ray

You might be right about the extra delay.

In the meantime, Sen Conroy needs to update his web pages then...

http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/med...leases/2007/003

Digital switchover date confirmed (Release dated 18 Dec 2007)

Senator the Hon Stephen Conroy, Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, today confirmed that the first firm steps had been taken on the road to completing switchover by the end of 2013.

“Accordingly, I have amended the date for commencement of digital only transmission in metropolitan markets to December 2009. This will allow time for the Taskforce and industry to develop a detailed switchover timetable for all of Australia.”

Parasite,

It's difficult to advise without accurate signal measurements.

The antenna you are using is not ideal, as it has low gain and is also designed to include bands 1 & 2, which can pick up impulse noise interference.

Ghosting on analogue is an indication that you will have high digital 'bit errors' which cause loss of reception.

As your signal path is obstructed, a Hills CA16 phased array for VHF and a Fracarro PU4A phased array (or similar) for UHF should provide much better results.

You can combine the two antennas with your existing amp.

Ideally, you need to be able to measure the signals accurately to determine the best mounting location and mast height, which gives the best signal quality (lowest bit error ratio).

It's even possible relocation of your existing antenna may work, once accurate signal measurements are determined with a propper site test.

You might be right about the extra delay.

In the meantime, Sen Conroy needs to update his web pages then...

http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/med...leases/2007/003

Digital switchover date confirmed (Release dated 18 Dec 2007)

Senator the Hon Stephen Conroy, Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, today confirmed that the first firm steps had been taken on the road to completing switchover by the end of 2013.

“Accordingly, I have amended the date for commencement of digital only transmission in metropolitan markets to December 2009. This will allow time for the Taskforce and industry to develop a detailed switchover timetable for all of Australia.”

Hi Charles,

I agree that the press release is unfortunately worded. See my comments on the press release and background to the 2009 date is at the end of the thread What's Going To Happen To The 31 Community Channels?, When analogue is switched off in 2009

Ray

Ray,

The amended date delays the switch off by a year. This is necessary because there are quite a number of translators in the outer areas around the capital cities which do not have digital translators yet. In addition there is a huge number of master antenna systems in blocks of units which are unable to distribute digital signals. The DBCDE is currently formulating a conversion plan for the whole country. This must be released prior to the end of the year. Currently all high power digital transmitters have been installed with 7 left to go. Five of these are in country WA. There is still many medium and even more low powered transmitters to go.

Community station Access 31 Perth has already closed because it was not funded for digital conversion, even though it had a new high powered digital capable transmitter. The ACMA says that there is 40 % of the audience with digital receivers. So if they switched from analog to digital it would have only had 40 % of the audience and building. This would have taken too long to keep financially afloat.

AlanH

Ray,

The amended date delays the switch off by a year. This is necessary because there are quite a number of translators in the outer areas around the capital cities which do not have digital translators yet. In addition there is a huge number of master antenna systems in blocks of units which are unable to distribute digital signals. The DBCDE is currently formulating a conversion plan for the whole country. This must be released prior to the end of the year. Currently all high power digital transmitters have been installed with 7 left to go. Five of these are in country WA. There is still many medium and even more low powered transmitters to go.

Community station Access 31 Perth has already closed because it was not funded for digital conversion, even though it had a new high powered digital capable transmitter. The ACMA says that there is 40 % of the audience with digital receivers. So if they switched from analog to digital it would have only had 40 % of the audience and building. This would have taken too long to keep financially afloat.

AlanH

Hi Alan

All the debate about dates, particularly metros at end of 2009, is conjecture until, as you state, the DBCDE Taskforce releases the timetable by the end of the year. How about we wait until the timetable is released and see what is proposed?

Ray

I agree that the press release is unfortunately worded. See my comments on the press release and background to the 2009 date is at the end of the thread What's Going To Happen To The 31 Community Channels?, When analogue is switched off in 2009

Hi Ray,

That's a big thread you linked to. And I see this has come up a few times before. :) With the same 'old' Conroy docs referred to.

So in skimming, rather than a full documentation read, it seems most pieces are in place to allow everything to slip right out as far as they want really. I guess their timetable is the only thing that will outline what might happen.