Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Get The Best Reception, Hunter Valley

GlennP,

OK, I admit I made a blunder about the Wisi EE06. Yes, it is German but many people have sworn by it that there was no other comparison on the market. I'm glad you have found the Hills antenna effective. I'll have to try one next time. No one has ever recommended it to me so its worth a try. No, I couldn't help anyone with WA installations. I only mention what has worked for me when other installers have told me it wouldn't, fullstop. This is for Sydney and Newcastle installations. I was told in Enfield, Sydney that my signal in my area was dead. Both for South Coast and Sydney reception. I received signal from both areas dropout free on digital. I'm only saying that some installers talk rubbish just because they either don't want to do the job or they think they can pick up signal or no signal without having the necessary testing equipment. I am just really surprised that a so called expert in a difficult reception area such as elermore vale in Newcastle couldn't help me and was rude about it. I was too busy at the time to do the installation for my brother. I should have just had him call someone like Les to look at it. But hey, not everyone can do an installation. You guys still have a massive market share out there, especially with the digital craze increasing with time. I have just had installers in the past do half jobs and not finish the installations eg. leave cable lose on walls, putting antennas in the wrong place on the mast, wrong direction etc. Wanting to use RG59 when I want RG6 Quad. I offer to pay extra. They have rolls of it in their vans. I know some, not all but enough to get by with small installations. Anything bigger, and I call someone with more knowledge. AlanH only gives ideas. He doesn't set up the installation for the customer on this website. Only a guide so someone isn't severely ripped off just like I have been. There are honest installers out there, its just a pity not all are.

LesTV,

By the way, what channels do you pick up where you live in the Newcastle area, Les? Do you get everything crystal clear? Is it only the local stuff or can you get Sydney etc. Just curious on what you have been able to pick up with the right gear and experience.

Crownms123.

crownms123

In the Newcastle area, the channels available are NBN, ABC, SBS, Prime & SC10. I am NOT interested in accomadating customers who want to receive signals direct from Sydney when they live in the Newcastle market. Way in the past, Newcastle viewers used to receive signals from Sydney. No longer is this the case with digital. Anyone who wants to receive Sydney signals, should move to within the coverage area of the Sydney transmitters.

lesf

Perhaps we don't try to offer advice outside our own market. Very dodgy.

Give him a break les his just trying to help

Can anyone tell me whats the number in the brackets and the number signify?

example; SBS(3)38

Can anyone tell me whats the number in the brackets and the number signify?

example; SBS(3)38

Where are you seeing this displayed?

Most likely, the (3) is the logical channel number, which is what is shown for that channel on a STB display, whilst 38 is the actual channel it is being transmitted on.

In other words, SBS channel 38 is displayed on your set top box (or other digital receiver) as 3

crownms123

In the Newcastle area, the channels available are NBN, ABC, SBS, Prime & SC10.

lesf

And from some time during the day of 11 Apr 2007 we also have MyTalk on 55 (Ch 51 broadcasting a test pattern 576i) - does anyone know what MyTalk is all about?

Robert

Hi All

You're sure to throw rocks at me, but I tried to start a new subject, and was knocked back, even though I'm registered and all - honestly.

Anyway, has anybody noticed a general improvement in PQ on all channels from Sugarloaf, recently? Definition seems improved, along with depth of field (sorry Les).

Perhaps all that recent rain has washed the crud from my antenna?

Cheers

NOEL GORDON

Hi Glen

This will hurl the moggie among the feathered lot --- A few years ago in Woodberry, several hundred metres from the transmitter, it was possible to hear ABC programs through the speakers of a record player --- which was not fitted with a radio tuner. NO TUNER! I have experienced it.

Cheers

NOEL GORDON

Carterrrr,

Thank you about the AM interference. Those transmitters are only 10 kW try living near 50 kW each!

Alanh

Carterrrr,

Thank you about the AM interference. Those transmitters are only 10 kW try living near 50 kW each!

Alanh

Alan, I am surprised you haven't replied to my post to you way back on page II of this topic. You haven't admitted there are 6 AM transmitters on Mt. Sugarloaf.

lesf

Les,

FM Radio stations on Mt Sugarloaf

2JJJ 102.1

2KKO 102.9

2NUR 103.7

2NEW 105.3

2ABCFM 106.1

2XXX 106.9

A search for Mt Sugarloaf for AM stations produced no results however

AM radio stations are:

2HD 1143 2HD Broadcast Site SANDGATE

2NC 1233 Broadcast Site BERESFIELD

1341 Broadcast Site Birmingham Gardens NEWCASTLE

2EA 1413 Broadcast Site HEXHAM

2PB 1458 Broadcast Site BERESFIELD

2RN 1512 Broadcast Site BERESFIELD

AlanH

Alan,

My computer has been down for a while and anyway I have been far too busy of late to even look at this site. Looking at the quote above, What on earth are you talking about? There are 6 AM transmitters on Mt.Sugarloaf. These are the vision carriers of the 6 analog TV tranmitters. Glenn has already aluded to this in previous posts - and yes, he was right.

Now, all you have to do is calculate the relationship between these vision carrier frequencies to ascertain the AM interference on SC10 of which I have spoken. And, to repeat, this is in the domain of the diligent antenna installer to prevent this interference happening.

lesf

Still like the 'diligent installer' to explain a bit more how he works the 'black arts' for this one:)

Hi Glen

This will hurl the moggie among the feathered lot --- A few years ago in Woodberry, several hundred metres from the transmitter, it was possible to hear ABC programs through the speakers of a record player --- which was not fitted with a radio tuner. NO TUNER! I have experienced it.

Cheers

NOEL GORDON

Hi Noel,

I won't disagree with that, if you're close enough to a high enough powered transmitter your toaster could talk, but that wasn't the original question asked.

It was does the AM radio transmissions interfere with TV reception & the answer is no.

Radio's & TV's have circuits in them to filter out unwanted signals, any interference or "tuner overload" from nearby high power transmitters is usually picked up by part of the circuit outside the tuner (usually pre or in the amp) or by external leads, in your case the power lead &/or your house power wiring could have been acting as an antenna & feeding the reception into the amp.

If you had a TV that runs off battery power (or DC-AC power inverter on your car) unless it had poor tuner sensitivity you could quite easily sit at the lookout on Mt Sugarloaf & watch a TV channel without interference from any of the others, same as you can with your radio (in car or portable).

I bet when you were in Woodberry you could still listen to other radio stations without interference from the ABC transmitters couldn't you?

Cheers

GlennP.

GlennP,

The following are the Cyclomotive Forces for each of the Newcastle AM stations. The cyclomotive force is the signal strength in Volt/metre at 1 km from the transmitter antenna.

Newcastle 2HD 0.550

Newcastle 2NC 1.300

Newcastle 1.290

Newcastle 2EA 1.335

Newcastle 2PB 0.445

Newcastle 2RN 1.300

You should try keeping out 12 V/m. This means that a 1 m long piece of wire will have 12 Volts from end to end with a high impedance load. Consider this when the TV signal strength is in hundreds of microvolts. The filter must be at least 100 dB to make the signals identical in voltage. You then have to add another 40 dB to make the patterning invisible.

What you say is all well in theory, but it does happen particularly if the TV on channels 0-3. This is because the dipoles in the antenna are easily a metre long.

For evidence Example from the ACMA

The reason it is not much of a problem in Newcastle is that the TV transmitters are very powerful, UHF and they are not very far from the AM transmitters. The highest powered AM transmitters in Newcastle are 1/5th of those used in capital cities.

Alan

Les,

FM Radio stations on Mt Sugarloaf

2JJJ 102.1

2KKO 102.9

2NUR 103.7

2NEW 105.3

2ABCFM 106.1

2XXX 106.9

A search for Mt Sugarloaf for AM stations produced no results however

AM radio stations are:

2HD 1143 2HD Broadcast Site SANDGATE

2NC 1233 Broadcast Site BERESFIELD

1341 Broadcast Site Birmingham Gardens NEWCASTLE

2EA 1413 Broadcast Site HEXHAM

2PB 1458 Broadcast Site BERESFIELD

2RN 1512 Broadcast Site BERESFIELD

AlanH

Alan,

What about NBN Vision 86.25Mhz

ABC 5a Vision 138.25Mhz

SBS Vision 646.25Mhz

ABC 48 Vision 667.25Mhz

Prime Vision 709.25Mhz

SC10 Vision 730.25Mhz all analog.

So there ARE 6 AM transmitters on Mt. Sugarloaf. Now all you have to do is work out the frequency relationships of these frequencies to ascertain the reason for the AM patterning on SC10 analog. And, yes, it is still an issue for the antenna installer.

lesf

p.s.

It is

Triple J

KOFM

2NURFM

NEWFM

ABC Classic FM

NXFM

You are in WA. Try not to argue with folk in other cities around Australia.

Les,

Some quotes from my original question.

"By the way, do you know of any problems in the Beresfield, Woodberry, Thornton, Ashtonfield, Turro and Heatherbrae areas. I am thinking of AM interference causing corduroy patterning on analog, and unstable pictures and sound on digital."

"Re the Beresford area, The ABC has a 10 kW Local radio transmitter on 1233 kHz and a 10 kW Radio National transmitter on 1512 kHz. If the power level is high enough it causes a corduroy style pattern over an analog picture. In digital it causes picture & sound breakup. The above transmitters are 10 kW each. I know it is a problem with 50 kW transmitters.

The effect is intermodulation between the TV signal carrier and the AM radio carrier to make the interference visible.

Notice I mentioned the name of radio transmitters and not the vision vestigial sideband full carrier signals.

So I take it that you have never seen this AM radio interference on analog TV

AlanH

Les,

Some quotes from my original question.

"By the way, do you know of any problems in the Beresfield, Woodberry, Thornton, Ashtonfield, Turro and Heatherbrae areas. I am thinking of AM interference causing corduroy patterning on analog, and unstable pictures and sound on digital."

"Re the Beresford area, The ABC has a 10 kW Local radio transmitter on 1233 kHz and a 10 kW Radio National transmitter on 1512 kHz. If the power level is high enough it causes a corduroy style pattern over an analog picture. In digital it causes picture & sound breakup. The above transmitters are 10 kW each. I know it is a problem with 50 kW transmitters.

The effect is intermodulation between the TV signal carrier and the AM radio carrier to make the interference visible.

Notice I mentioned the name of radio transmitters and not the vision vestigial sideband full carrier signals.

So I take it that you have never seen this AM radio interference on analog TV

AlanH

Alan,

I said that I haven't dealt with this problem for 25 years. You will have to go back and search for my answers to your questions in previous posts. It seems you haven't taken in my input to this issue. Perhaps you may need a basic lesson in "amplifier theory".

You seem to be, indeed, a duffer in basic electonic theory.

lesf

I have two questions about reception re: Westlakes and Mt Sugarloaf

1 - I'm in the Westlakes area and direct my UHF antenna to Mt Sugarloaf. When checking the signal strength to adjust the antenna after being directed to Forrester Beach the installer disconnected the booster box saying it wasn't necessary. Surfice to say without a ladder at present to reach the 2nd storey I cannot check if any BB equipment is there or not. Was it advisable to disconnect? My current signal strength (except SC10 tends to stutter at times) is good via the STB and average via analogue.

2 - After the recent storms (around Tuesday 12/6) we were watching SBS1 via a SD STB and it unexpectedly stopped transmitting. Then the channel removed itself from the channel listings ie it was there since we first used it in 2006 and then it disappeared and cannot be rescanned in. I thought it was a program interruption or maintenance work so didn't think twice.

I contacted SBS and they said the transmission of SBS 1 and SBS HD (which I never had before) were fine. All four TV channels transmit at 599.5mhz. SO how does only 2 of 4 same frequency channels get picked up?

I've rebooted the STB and done rescans but no good. I also went to another place in Fishing Point but there the antenna was directed south so only Sydney and Central Coast channels (not ABC and SBS) were picked up on the STB and no signal was achieved at Arcadia Vale for those. The STB manufacturer said no upgrade or error was noted for this issue. SBS told my that someone in Perth with the same STB had the same issue there. Would a booster box make any difference here?

(STB = Kross yr 2006)

Lastly, is it possible to have an antenna with a multiple layout which can obtain signals from different transmitter locations?

PS The antenna is currently pointed as it was pre storm conditions and all available channels seem to broadcast at the same signal strength as before so I don't think it's an antenna problem but some advice would be appreciated

Regards

Rob

I have two questions about reception re: Westlakes and Mt Sugarloaf

1 - I'm in the Westlakes area and direct my UHF antenna to Mt Sugarloaf. When checking the signal strength to adjust the antenna after being directed to Forrester Beach the installer disconnected the booster box saying it wasn't necessary. Surfice to say without a ladder at present to reach the 2nd storey I cannot check if any BB equipment is there or not. Was it advisable to disconnect? My current signal strength (except SC10 tends to stutter at times) is good via the STB and average via analogue.

2 - After the recent storms (around Tuesday 12/6) we were watching SBS1 via a SD STB and it unexpectedly stopped transmitting. Then the channel removed itself from the channel listings ie it was there since we first used it in 2006 and then it disappeared and cannot be rescanned in. I thought it was a program interruption or maintenance work so didn't think twice.

I contacted SBS and they said the transmission of SBS 1 and SBS HD (which I never had before) were fine. All four TV channels transmit at 599.5mhz. SO how does only 2 of 4 same frequency channels get picked up?

I've rebooted the STB and done rescans but no good. I also went to another place in Fishing Point but there the antenna was directed south so only Sydney and Central Coast channels (not ABC and SBS) were picked up on the STB and no signal was achieved at Arcadia Vale for those. The STB manufacturer said no upgrade or error was noted for this issue. SBS told my that someone in Perth with the same STB had the same issue there. Would a booster box make any difference here?

(STB = Kross yr 2006)

Lastly, is it possible to have an antenna with a multiple layout which can obtain signals from different transmitter locations?

PS The antenna is currently pointed as it was pre storm conditions and all available channels seem to broadcast at the same signal strength as before so I don't think it's an antenna problem but some advice would be appreciated

Regards

Rob

Hi, I live in Wangi Wangi (on the southern side of the hill), and always had problems picking up SBS and ABC TV, on my 2 Teac STB's. I had run new cables, put in a Kingray Amp, and even upgraded the Antenna twice. When one of the Teac units died, I purchased a Panomax HD recorder unit off Ebay. Though and behold, I had improved performance on the commercial channels, as well as on SBS and ABC. I then purchased a Lenoxx unit off Ebay, and the performance overall had improved on the main channels, but was not quite as good on ABC & SBS. Just recently, I saw a program on SBS we wanted to watch and it was unavailable. I did a rescan on both units, and it still did not come up. I sent an email off to SBS but still no reply.

hbg1968,

You do not mention what type of antenna is being used See the antenna basics link and there is a link to diagrams to show the various types.

I also need to know what model of Kingray masthead amplifier is being used.

AlanH