Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Get The Best Reception - Gold Coast

Bit of a cut and paste job there :blink: I think you should take out the "For SBS" and "For Commercials + ABC" this is obviously based on the cap cities posts you have had. Removing them will avoid confusion

A correction on the coverage suggested here for Mt Tamborine.

The NSW services NRN 43, Prime 65 and NBN 68 transmit to the east and their beam width allows coverage south to reach the QLD/NSW border.

ABQ 62, SBS 36, BTQ 53, TVQ 56 and QTQ 59 by necessity cover the same area as the NSW services from Tamborine to ensure the Gold Coast is adequately covered but in addition send signal northward in an effort to better cover those areas poorly served by the Brisbane services.

Just to add clarity to the previous post.....The Mt Tambourine directional antannae covers all of the Gold Coast to a line approximately to Cabbage Tree Point for all channels. In addition to this the Brisbane channels radiation footprint is almost omnidirectional, therefore covering points within line of site of the transmitter.

All,

If you have read this post, I suggest you use the link to Far North NSW.and then look at Murwillumbah. The Murwillumbah and Southern Hinterland transmitters are all at Springbrook.

Now there is less need for Mt Tambourine to transmit southward.

AlanH

Or better still, use the link for the Gold Coast and select "Gold Coast - Southern Hinterland".

This will give you the details for the Queensland-aimed transmissions from Springbrook.

Using Alanh's directions will give you the NSW-aimed transmissions.

Evan :->

How can so much confusion develop from an attempt to add clarity as offered by those adding recently.

Peace at Last had it right and it was clear, unambiguous and was offered in laymans terms.

"The NSW services NRN 43, Prime 65 and NBN 68 transmit to the east and their beam width allows coverage south to reach the QLD/NSW border."

This is spot on since this directional antenna has two main lobes one on the 90' bearing and the other on 135'.

"ABQ 62, SBS 36, BTQ 53, TVQ 56 and QTQ 59 by necessity cover the same area as the NSW services from Tamborine to ensure the Gold Coast is adequately covered but in addition send signal northward in an effort to better cover those areas poorly served by the Brisbane services."

Again spot on, with the additional lobes at 0' and 45' to those described for the NSW services above.

Other points to note.

(1) If the antenna system for the Qld services was "almost omnidirectional" as suggested, the designers have failed and this is not the case. It is designed to primarily serve those on a bearing between 340' and 190' and it does very well.

(2) It does not just cover line of sight of the transmitter, this would be a disaster.

(3) Another has stated "Now there is less need for Mt Tamborine to transmit southward." This statement could not be more flawed. These services are not transmitting over a flat plane where all transmitter locations can serve all areas in their beam width. The topography here is very challenging for designers and coverage prediction is complex. Springbrooks 40' bearing is to fill in the valleys to the NE and is an attempt to better serve those that Currumbin and Tamborine cannot reach.

Springbrooks 40' bearing is to fill in the valleys to the NE and is an attempt to better serve those that Currumbin and Tamborine cannot reach.

Captain,

Where do you get your info on TX bearings and coverage areas? Just that I would be fascinated to have a look at this information.

"You have the con."

Alan,

The links you provided were last edited in September and November.

My post was posted in JULY!!!

Nice attempt at covering up your errors.

Does anyone use an indoor or "rabbits Ears" antenna for this card???

I have a few problems getting me connected to the outdoor aerial setup.

I live in an apartment...long story.....

Any suggestions on what to buy???.....or do I need to hook up to a outdoor antenna???

Any help Appreciatted....

Live in Southport...Gold Coast.....

mark,

It depends on where you are wrt the terrain between you and Mt Tamborine. See "Get the Best Reception" at the start of this strand. Towards the end is a reference to Indoor antennas. It may be worth giving it a try? You will find that band 5 antennas are no where near as large as typical metropolitan antennas. There is also a reference to apartments and DTV.

AlanH

Can anyone advise me where I could get a Fracarro LP345HV antenna from around gold coast area???

Am looking to purchase one...any help Apreciatted????

Hi all,

Anyone know where I can get a reception map for the transmission tower in Lahey's Lookout on Tamborine Mountain, servicing the area of Canungra? I have good line of site (under 4 Km) to the transmission tower, and a powerful antenna, new cable and amp, but still do not get full digital coverage. The TV has a Signal Strength Meter built in (LG 81cm LCD), and shows QABC, SBS and 7 reasonable, but 9 (ch 66) and 10 (ch 69) are dreadful, usually a blue screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

:blink:

Dunfreezin,

There are presently no digital transmitters on Laheys Lookout

AlanH

Hi AlanH,

Many thanks for your response to my query. Any sugestions as to where the quite good digital signals are coming from?

Cheers!

Dunfreezin,

There are 2 possibilities

Mt Tambourine which is 8 km away at a bearing of 50 degrees. The antenna must be horizontal

Springbrook which is 28 km away and is at a bearing of 151 degrees. The antenna must be vertical, ie on its side.

AlanH

Dunfreezin,

There are 2 possibilities

Mt Tambourine which is 8 km away at a bearing of 50 degrees. The antenna must be horizontal

Springbrook which is 28 km away and is at a bearing of 151 degrees. The antenna must be vertical, ie on its side.

AlanH

Many thanks AlanH,

Springbrook is behind Darlington Range to us, and using horizontal polarisation, so will rule that one out. Must be Tamborine Mountain I am presently looking at. Many thanks.

Cheers!

The TV has a Signal Strength Meter built in (LG 81cm LCD), and shows QABC, SBS and 7 reasonable, but 9 (ch 66) and 10 (ch 69) are dreadful, usually a blue screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

:blink:

Are you sure those channel numbers/networks are accurate?

None of the Gold Coast transmitters (analogue or digital) use channels 66 or 69.

66 is used by Prime analogue from Springbrook aimed at Murwillumbah and 69 is used by NBN analogue for the same area (which would be why the signal is poor).