Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Get The Best Reception, Perth & Toodyay

Jack-ctu,

There is only one WIN digital transmitter in WA which is near Quarading in the Central Wheatbelt. The only other option is WIN from Bunbury on analog on channel 39. The program is a Western Australian feed, using NEW10's Perth News and no other WA programming except advertising. The programs are a mix of Nine and Ten network programs.

Southern WA You can use the same antenna for digital for analog from Bunbury. Reception in Perth may be weather related, but it depends where you are.

AlanH

Hi Alan,

I'm in Joondanna, so its near to the other suburbs listed in the "post here if you are in these ares"..

All channels except SBS are have good strength and quality (90%/90%),

SBS has about "90%" for strength but only 50% and more often less for signal quality.. Do you or anyone else have some ideas? What was the reson for requesting that people in these areas with problems post?

All and any help appreciated :blink:

cheers

alex

Alex,

It may be that you have too much signal. Go to an electronics store and buy an attenuator for around $10. Plug it in between the STB antenna input and the antenna wall socket.

The only other possibility is too much reflected signals. Use a high gain (lots of dBs) band 4 antenna and the attenuator above.

Alanh

Alex,

It may be that you have too much signal. Go to an electronics store and buy an attenuator for around $10. Plug it in between the STB antenna input and the antenna wall socket.

The only other possibility is too much reflected signals. Use a high gain (lots of dBs) band 4 antenna and the attenuator above.

Alanh

Thanks Alan, I'll try the cheaper option first :blink:

HI all i live in hamersley and cannot get abc anymore i used to get it but have been unable to lock it into my set top box for about 3 weeks, has anyone else got this prob and how can i fix it?

If you are in one of the following suburbs;

(...) Warwick (...) and having reception problems. Please post in this strand.

that's me!

i'm in warwick and i have a topfield 5000pvrt. i have the following setup:

1. couple-of-years-old, large hills antenna mounted above my roof. not sure of model number but it is appox 2m wide at the back, receives ABC analogue (i.e. is not a 3/4 band only antenna) and has combined uhf collector

2. long (20m) run of RG6 quad shield to the topfield, with a passive F-connect splitter behind the topfield (it has two tuners)

3. body of splitter (i.e. the braid of the RG6) is earthed to my house's power system's earth, on the advice of some guys in the topfield forum (doesn't seem to solve my problem though)

4. two other TVs in the house that don't have the antenna hooked up yet - i would like them to.

reception is generally very good except i get audio dropouts (sometimes with pixellation) intermittently. this happens with light switches turned on and off, microwave door opening/closing, turning ceiling fan on etc. it drives me mad!!

i would like to get rid of the audio dropouts and provide my other TVs with decent signals. i bought a kingray SAM204 yesterday in a fit of desperate weakness but i'm not sure it was the right thing to do now. after doing a fair bit of reading on this site i have come up with the following possibilities:

1. fit SAM204 at antenna, run RG6 to other TVs, and buy fl3bpmh band pass filter to put on one outlet (the outlet going to my topfield, as all my other TVs are analogue).

2. buy new antenna as per recommendations on this site for digital TV and use this for topfield only, then fit SAM204 to old antenna to service the other TVs.

3. get rid of SAM204 (this post suggests it's not great since it is wideband: http://www.dtvforum.info/lofiversion/index.php/t38879.html). Then maybe get a Kingray MDA20H or MDA20U for the cable run to the topfield.

i am a bit confused as to what's the best thing to do. i could buy a cheap STB for the other TVs if going all-digital is a by-product of fixing the audio dropouts.

i wasn't sure if i should have posted inside this thread, hope this is OK. let me know if i've screwed up.

thanks everyone!

p.s. One more question: is it possible to get the fl3bpmh to reject all signals below 174 MHz? the data sheet says it passes VLF 44-107, but if you set the switches properly you can get it to reject the VLF, right?

HI all i live in hamersley and cannot get abc anymore i used to get it but have been unable to lock it into my set top box for about 3 weeks, has anyone else got this prob and how can i fix it?

i am in warwick and i have not had that problem. not sure if this helps you much though :-(

I'm in Inglewood, and havent been able to receieve SBS since "topgears" season finished.

I use to be able to receive sbs but over a couple of months the signal strength has dropped till now i have nothing..... :blink:

I have a teac dv-400 stb and its signal meter reads 95-100% for all channels (not sbs) and signal quality at 75-95%, sbs however is nil, which i find suprising as it comes from the ABC tower in bickley.

What to do?

would adding a high gain uhf antenna for sbs work?

I'm in Inglewood, and havent been able to receieve SBS since "topgears" season finished.

I use to be able to receive sbs but over a couple of months the signal strength has dropped till now i have nothing..... :blink:

I have a teac dv-400 stb and its signal meter reads 95-100% for all channels (not sbs) and signal quality at 75-95%, sbs however is nil, which i find suprising as it comes from the ABC tower in bickley.

What to do?

would adding a high gain uhf antenna for sbs work?

Call Nic from Northside! http://www.crystalclearantenna.com.au/specials.htm

Fracarro LP34HV will do nicely. :D

MINTYGREEN,

You could add a band 4 antenna pointed at Bickley. Connect it via a UV diplexer. The band 4 antenna into the U input and your existing antenna in the V input. Use the link in my pinned post to find an antenna. Antenna spacing is discussed in the link of Antenna Basics.

AlanH

AlanH,

Thanks for the info, I've started reading though your Antenna basics thread.

sorry for another daft question, In your Aust. TV channel allocations guide you recommend a Band 4+ (band 4/5?) for Perth, Bickley & Carmel.

should i grab a Band 4 or band 4/5 antenna? is there a difference for SBS reception?

Thanks again

MintyGreen,

There will be no band 5 stations in Perth. The only exception is a set in Rolystone which service the southern suburbs. See the map link. In that case a band 5 antenna is all that is needed.

A band 4/5 antenna is less sensitive than a band 4 antenna for band 4 channels.

AlanH

Hi Alanh,

Thanks for your help, I've got SBS back! I didn't get as far as antenna/diplexer sugestion.

Following your RF looping setup guide, i discovered that when the tv is looped in i get no sbs... no rf into tv and sbs returns!

The only downside with SBS now is the frequent pixelation and sound pops.

Mintygreen,

I suspect you do not have enough signal. Check the installation menu on your receiver.

It is also possible you have a faulty flylead which is connecting between the STB and the antenna in of the receiver

AlanH

Hi Alanh,

the teac stb is showing 95-100% signal strength and since disconnecting the tv rf, all channels are up in the 95% mark. whether to trust its accuracy, well..dunno

It could be the flylead, i hacked it myself with twist on f type connectors.

I believe my location may be the problem, im on a corner block (car electrical interference), have a power pole with a street light 9m from the antenna, with power lines down two sides of the house.

I think i should pickup some belden quad screened coax and replace the old cable. Do you think thats the right thing to do?

Help! The complete opposite is happening to me!

I'm in Innaloo and am trying to pick up TV on my computer using a Pinnacle PCTV USB stick. Tried both the included monopole and a $70 DSE Digital Antenna but can only pick up SBS (when the antenna is positioned awkwardly). Digital comes through OK on my main TV (connected to a roof antenna), and on the stick when connected to the aerial. The point is I don't want to connect to the roof aerial (if possible) as I wish to move this computer around sometimes and already have enough cables and ports.