Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alanh

Get The Best Reception, Perth & Toodyay

654 posts in this topic

Wahroonga Farm,

In that location it is extremely unlikely that there will be an overload of TV signals, however local FM transmitters are a different story.

Also Distribution amplifiers have much less gain than masthead amplifiers so are much less likely to overload anyway.

If you use a passive splitter, it is highly likely there would be insufficient TV signal. After all why was the amplifier put there in the first place.

AlanH

More likely the DW30 being overloaded by local interference, or just plain stuffed.

Try a splitter without the amp.

Wahroonga Farm,

In that location it is extremely unlikely that there will be an overload of TV signals, however local FM transmitters are a different story.

AlanH

AlanH, I think we all know (well most of us anyway), that Bickley Carmel and Walliston aren't LOCAL??????

Why do you keep wanting to correct me when there is nothing to correct??

Wahroonga Farm,

At that non local distance, the only overload will be local, in this case FM transmitters not TV signals.

If a filter is used to remove the FM signals there would be no overload.

AlanH

I'm a new user - could you please point me in the right direction if I'm posting in the wrong place? I live in Balga (near Hamersley border), I had problems with analogue reception a few years back and had an antenna tech out - aerial had been wind-blown, he reaffixed it. He tested the digital signal and told me that the signal wasn't good enough to get 2 channels (from memory, one was channel 7). I've just returned to this house - the reception is again awful on channels 2 and 7, particularly 2 - sometimes can't get get a picture, or there is so much noise/interference that you can't watch. Because of the eventual switching off of analogue, I'm again considering digital. All I want is watchable TV - I don't understand the electronics, and I don't want to know more than I need to to achieve what I want at reasonable cost. I need to find out how to overcome the inadequate signal thing, what aerial (or do I have to get a satellite dish?) I might need (I'll get a tech, but I don't want to be given the wrong thing) what the tech will have to do (if anything) to the antenna outlets (plugs in lounge, kitchen and 2 bedrooms) and what digital boxes are needed (do you need one for each TV? what about VCRs?). I'd be grateful for any assistance or guidance. :blink:

tekchallenged,

After you have made 10 posts send me a message using the new messages link and I will tell you what to do.

Do not buy a satellite dish.

AlanH

tekchallenged,

After you have made 10 posts send me a message using the new messages link and I will tell you what to do.

Do not buy a satellite dish.

AlanH

Thanks Alan, I don't see myself getting to 10 posts - as I don't know what anybody is talking about, I don't have much to contribute to this forum :blink::D

tekchallenged,

Roll down right to the bottom of the screen and click on the Problems? contact a human here and use the Email facility to ask for your messaging account to be activated.

AlanH

tekchallenged,

Roll down right to the bottom of the screen and click on the Problems? contact a human here and use the Email facility to ask for your messaging account to be activated.

AlanH

Tried that - it said I don't have permission to send an email....

tekchallenged,

What does your analog TV picture look like?

AlanH

I call Nine and Ten "perfect" but there is actually a bit of ghosting if you look carefully. Seven has what I call "snow" (don't know if I use the term correctly - it is speckled). Sometimes it loses colour and if I up the fine tuning by a couple of notches, I can get colour back. Channel 2 is the real problem, as sometimes it is too bad to watch. At the moment, it is snowing, colour is strobing on and off, and sound going in and out (on the TV - it is a bit better through the VCR). Sometimes it loses itself altogether and I can't tune a proper picture at all, and sometimes the sound gets interference like intermittent zapping. SBS and Channel 31 are complete non-starters.

tekchallenged,

Does it look like any of the pictures in;

Better Television & Radio Reception?

AlanH

My opinion is that the closest is "weak signal" but it is more speckly - channel 2 is only B&W at the moment. Staring at it, it looked a bit like there was a herringbone pattern top and bottom, but not as pronounced as FM or Masthead interference pictures. More just a pattern of speckles..

Hi All

I'm in the old part of Hillary's and get good analogue on all channels except for SBS, and excellent digital on all channels except for SBS...is it an SBS thing or do I need an antenna check?

Derek

Derek,

You have not described your installation.

Being a seaside suburb, salt corrosion of antennas is a problem. Since SBS digital is on channel 29 it uses band 4 which requires a narrower but longer antenna. In addition the losses in the cable are higher. So if the cable is degraded by the sun, there is another possible cause. Lastly if it is an indoor antenna you need an outdoor antenna.

AlanH

tekchallenged,

It is up in the Hills near Lesmurdie.

Four more questions before I can email you!

AlanH

Well, depending on where in the hills it is, there is probably a hill there somewhere between there and here LOL. Isn't it the radio tower around here which causes interference? All I really need to know at this stage is whether it is necessary to rewire the antenna connections, or change the faceplates or anything if I get a new aerial, or whether all of the fiddling around is up on the roof.