Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Get The Best Reception, Perth & Toodyay

Define,

Mandurah is really in the South West licence area.

This means that a small vertical antenna will be able to receive all networks from Turner Hill which is between Pinjarra and Dwellingup.

This site currently has ABC, SBS, GWN7 and WIN all analog and SBS digital. Soon ABC digital, GWN7 digital, WIN digital and TENWest along with One, 7Mate, GEM, Eleven, 7two, and GO!

This will mean you will not have to pick up Perth programs.

Get the Best Reception - Southern WA for antenna recommendations

Alanh

Hi Alan

Currently with our antenna and tivo I pick up channels 10,One,7,9,7Mate,7Two,Go,Gem,Gwn7,Win,ABC1,ABC2,ABC3,ABCnews24,Eleven,SBS,SBS2,S

BSHD and wtv

I am getting good reception during the day it is when it gets dark that for some reason a few channels (mainly anything on the 7 network) I get some sound drop out and pixelation

According to "My switch" it says coming soon for all the channels I currently receive not just GWN7 Perth 7 as well would this mean I need a band 3,4 and 5 antenna? (so confused)

Every house in my area has antenna's pointed towards the Perth reception as of now is there any dates given when Mandurah comes on line with all channels

Can I replace the rusted nuts/bolts with stainless steal equivalents to see if that is what is causing my drop outs.

Perhaps I need to find a good antenna person locally as reception was fine when first went up it has just started to go downhill ever since

Edited some of my stupidity :)

Edited by define

This will mean you will not have to pick up Perth programs.

That comment can be said of the current situation.

You might not have to but you probably will want to as there will still be differences in programming between the rural version and the metro area versions of some of the commercial stations.

would this mean I need a band 3,4 and 5 antenna

You will currently need a band iii and iv mounted horizontally to receive the Perth digital signals and a band v mounted vertically pointing to Pinjarra to get the local rural stations, the same as lots of other people have done in that neck of the woods. If you are happy to not be able to pick up analog CH2 ABC then you won't need an antenna that is designed to be digital ready, rather you will need a digital only one which doesn't pick up the 0-5 channels. Part of the reception problem could be the corrosion as well as interference from FM radio which is exacerbated by the amplifier.

According to "My switch" it says coming soon for all the channels

A definition of "soon" needs to be made, but in the mean time...

Can I replace the rusted nuts/bolts with stainless steal equivalents to see if that is what is causing my drop outs.

You could but unless they form part of the signal gathering path the exercise could very well be useless. I would suggest given the location that corrosion has set in on other parts as well, however the problem may just be a poor connection on the coax lead or balun at the antenna which is showing signs of degradation sooner that it should.

These are just a few ideas but, as you say, the antenna installer was useless so that sounds like where the problems started and indeed a good local person with the right gear would no doubt be a good way to go.

Thank you for the reply,

It turns out I have fixed the issue through trial and error. The problem was I had the amplifier plugged in with a double adapter as soon as I changed it to a power board my signal has jumped from 77-78% to 95-97% and is now working fine again.

Rust is a problem here and no doubt will cause issues again in the future I now have great signal and just hope it stays this way until Mandurah transmitter comes online

Hrh you are correct I may not have to but would like to get Perth 7 over GWN7

Ideally I would like in future to have both options as I currently have now

Once again thanks for a great thread

The problem was I had the amplifier plugged in with a double adapter as soon as I changed it to a power board my signal has jumped from 77-78% to 95-97% and is now working fine again.

OK. I give in. How did a double adaptor cause the problem?

Hrh I do not know enough about it to explain how or why just that when I changed to power board my signals immediately jumped to 90-97% nothing else was changed

I have now thrown out that double adapter in case it has issues

Define,

The most likely cause is poor contact in the power board. This causes arcing which produces perhaps tiny gaps in the signal but definately impulse interference.

AlanH

Alex,

It may be that you have too much signal. Go to an electronics store and buy an attenuator for around $10. Plug it in between the STB antenna input and the antenna wall socket.

The only other possibility is too much reflected signals. Use a high gain (lots of dBs) band 4 antenna and the attenuator above.

Alanh

Alanh,

Orange Grove in the hills, strength 90 or so, quality as per Olin PVR 62. Audio dropouts on SBS and ABC especially if the Olin is not switched in and the antenna signal goes straight from antenna to TV. Recording SBS and watching ABC sometimes leads to pixellation too. Antenna is log periodic (?) ex Jaycar. Should I put a masthead amp in and connect it to UHF side to fix the dropouts?

Thanks, alan.

Alan,

Your problem is too much signal not too little. Do not use any masthead amplifier. Go to an electronics retailer and buy an attenuator and try it out. If this is unsuccessful mssage me.

AlanH

Alan,

Your problem is too much signal not too little. Do not use any masthead amplifier. Go to an electronics retailer and buy an attenuator and try it out. If this is unsuccessful mssage me.

AlanH

Thanks, Alanh. Will try that out.

Alan,

AlanH

Thanks, Alanh. Will try that out.

hi

bought this from DSE and getting good signal when plugged straight into TV but when put a splitter on and run second cable to Hd recorder then lose SBS signal on anything connected via splitter, still get SBS on TV.

Also dont get SBS with a loop out of TV and into Hd recorder. I assume splitter needs some sort of booster ?

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/L4033/vhf-uhf-combination-outdoor-tv-antenna

I am South of river near Applecross.

tvbert,

Read and follow the links in the pinned post in this strand. - Get the best reception - Perth.

When you type your exact address into the Digital Ready website you will find...

There will be a new set of 5 translators on the top of the Central Park building to repeat the signals coming from Bickley/Lesmurdie/Carmel. This should be on air by the end of this year. It will definately be on air by the middle of next year.

After the middle of next year SBS digital will move from RF channel 29 to RF channel 7. The seven network will continue transmitting their programs on RF channel 6. This will cure your SBS problem. This will occur prior to the end of 2014.

You will see from the DSE catalogue that this antenna is designed to receive RF channel 2 which is used by ABC1 analog. This will be switched off in the middle of next year. I tried to get DSE to stop stocking this type of antenna to no avail. In addition it is designed for all UHF channels when currently we use only channels 28 - 32 in Perth. The wide range of channels makes the antenna less sensitive.

In addition the link to antenna basics shows that splitters will divide the signal power by the number of outlets. In addition, there is more signal loss for channels 28 - 32 as compared to channels 6 - 12. The longer the cable the bigger the comparative loss for SBS/West TV.

I would also check the cabling and plugs used. Remember the antenna is connected to the input. Use the splitter to split the signal to the TV and the recorder. Do not use RF out on the recorder. Some times flyleads which you use to connect the wall socket to the TV can be faulty even if new.

AlanH

Hi all

I live in the hills, Wooroloo area. TV reception has been ok for the most part over the years, although signal strength when tuning the TV has always showed less than 10%. More like 5% at times. That was with a 12 year old CRT tele, el cheapo digital top box plus a Hills A2A mast head amp. Still have this tv connected but recently purchased an LED TV plus a Kingway splitter for the antenna signal. Problem is now I 'm getting intermitant signal problems on both teles when connected. Connect back to the CRT and top box and no problem. I suspect its probably signal strength related.

Antenna is an old Hills VHF/ UHF with separate antennas for each, roof mounted. Also have a ruddy great jaccaranda tree in line of the signal path which wouldnt help. Am thinking of updating the antenna to a Hill PHD3 and replace the old coax cable but before I do I'd like your opinions on if this antenna would suit my needs or is there one that would do the job better. Thanks

ELPS,

Do you watch SBS and or West TV?

If you do you can get a much more sensitive antenna. SBS is moving to channel 7 after the middle of next year and West TV will move from UHF.

Please follow the first post in this strand. The signal strength is important and when you put your exact address it will give you the direction of the antenna and a colour on the map of your location. What is it?

AlanH

Hi Alan. Yes we do watch SBS. Ok, it says - You are in an area where moderate coverage of the available digital TV services is predicted. - signal strength - variable, colour is a blotchy orange and green and I'm in the orange, bearing 221.8 degrees, distance 29.9kms

thank.

Assuming the rest of the system is ok, sounds like you need a higher gain antenna(s). Two separate antennas will almost always provide better performance than one. Without level readings (via a professional signal meter) its hard to suggest much further, best to get someone out to have a look, take readings and recommend a course of action.

I talked to my brother tonight who had this service done a few years ago.(lives nearby) He said getting someone to come out this way is not easy to do. The Tech that did charged $700 to change the coax cable and adjust the antenna. Seems steep to me.

Must be a high gain antenna out there I can try?

Edited by ELPS