Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alanh

Get The Best Reception - Adelaide

349 posts in this topic

Damaja,

It depends on which side of the CBD you are on. If you click on the SA link in the first post in this strand, you will find the real channels for the translators in Grenfell St. You need to do an automatic scan and leave it until it gets to channel 69. Either that or scan for the real channel numbers of the Adelaide foothills translators as well as Mt Lofty to see which are best.

At the top of the spreadsheet you will find logical channel numbers so SBS always starts with 3 and is the number used to select programs after your installation is complete. During installation the receiver needs the real channel numbers. In your case SBS will be either channel 33 or 61.

AlanH

Kaiden,

Is the digital signal without sound or the analog signal without sound? Are you missing all analog channels or only some of them?

On the packaging or the instructions does it mention either the channel numbers it is supposed to receive or a frequency range in MHz? If so what is it?

AlanH

Kaiden,

In digital there are two sound signals sent, MPEG sound which is stereo, and AC3 sound which is surround sound consisting of 5 channels and a subby. Some standard definition broadcasts only have MPEG sound.

Either no sound is selected or the wrong sound type.

Since you have stable pictures you will have sound. Consult your manual and select the correct settings.

AlanH

it had always been set to mpeg and i saw no reason to change it.

but strangely, sound was back to normal yesterday. I cant figure out why the sound had disappeared in the first place.

thanks for the help.

Post 'moved' to SA reigonal, prbs with 7 HD. Any advice appriciated (ps already trolled existing threads etc)

Edited by walynds

Hi all,

I'm really new a digital and don't have much experience at all.

Need help, have read the posts about better signal but hasn't helped me all that much.

I live in Mount Barker (SA) and intermittently the screen pixelates and sound crackles for approx 2 secs, this is also present also when anything electrical is turned on (light, opening the fridge etc).

Sometimes it gets so bad that the picture just freezes and sound stutters (like a skipping CD).

When I flick back to analogue the picture is bad as well (worse than usual), does this mean poor signal?

To fix the electrical issue i assume that I will need F connectors?

Is anyone able to help me out? Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue of the antenna or much detail at all.

It is also a rental property so don't want to make any permanent changes if I don't have to.

Thanks all.

I'm really new a digital and don't have much experience at all. Need help, have read the posts about better signal but hasn't helped me all that much.

Have you read the guides on digital reception from the dba site, linked to in my sig below? They will help you get a better understanding of some of the key aspects.

Hi All,

Interesting reading, all this. I think I have a fairly specific issue with reception and thought I'd ask the following prior to purchasing a new aerial.... I have really bad reception. It has improved slightly since getting HDTV receiver.... at least I no longer have ghosted images to worry about! My issues are:

1. I am in Coromandel Valley - I mean right in the valley and I have no line of sight to the Crafers towers. In fact I am on the lee side of the hill, right at the bottom.

2. I have a whopping great pine tree in the way of where line of sight would be if the hill was not there.

3. I have never, ever received SBS, even when I was using analogue TV.

Currently my analogue aerial is pointing at the church roof on the other side of the valley to get the best reception (no kidding)! It is roof mounted and is about 1 m higher than the roof line. And the only way I can get a digital picture is to use a (cheap) wall power point amplifier.

So my questions are: Would a 'digital' specific aerial help my problems (reading this forum suggests yes)? Would moving my aerial higher be better? Is there anything else I can do to get further from the digital cliff (fell off it tonight - all channels - for about 25 minutes)?

Cheers,

Syrilion

I think I have a fairly specific issue with reception and thought I'd ask the following prior to purchasing a new aerial.... I have really bad reception.
Hi syrilion, this seems to be your first post. Welcome to the forum....

Before some specific stuff re your questions, you may want to put this post in a new topic in the Adelaide Geographic Viewers Forum. To start a new topic, you will need to up your post count to 5 (please see info in my sig below). So many new posts just go on the end of the 'main' thread. They tend to be less visible there. I think at the moment there are only 6 new topics in the Adelaide area.

Re your post, it really sounds like you need to have a site survey carried out with a digital field strength meter to see what signal you have (and from where). Then the best antenna can be selected, and further readings taken to find the best location for the antenna.

Hi charlesc. Thanks for your reply. I had figured that I might need expert help, but like all men I wanna do it myself!

Also I tried to post a new topic, but it wouldn't let me - must be the 5 post rule. Well, now I've done two!

Cheers,

Syrilion

WTF are you reporting Digital...you had too much cordial or something ? :unsure:

I Reported Spam, the reported Post serves no purpose.

I have subscribed to this thread just to find out what the hell was reported cause for the life of me I can see no edited post and nothing that would warrant reporting. :blink:

Hi all,

Thanks to all the contributors - plenty of great info here.

I live at Glenunga near the foothills and am looking to upgrade my antenna system prior to purchasing a new TV. Current antenna is an analogue VHF pointing to Mt Lofty. Line of site is partially marred by a large tree - analogue SBS is woeful. I could overcome the tree problem by putting the new antenna in a different location on the other side of the house.

I visited Hills Industries and they have a rough map showing "best" reception areas for VHF (Mt Lofty) and UHF (Adelaide) and, of course, the boundary is right down my street. Houses in the vicinity are a mixture of VHF and UHF - mostly VHF but I suspect this might be mainly historical.

Given some of the comments such as "no band 3/4 antennae available" and "long VHF elements susceptible to noise induction" (I hope I have interpreted this correctly), and also the UHF transmitters being lower power than the VHF ones I am in a quandry.

Given that I might have a choice here, what would you guys go for - a VHF or a UHF antenna. Whatever I choose, it will go in a new location and the old mast and coax distribution will be used as the basis for a separate FM (maybe omnidirectional) antenna system.

Cheers,

Redleg

Go Norwood :D

You should be in the coverage area for Grenfell Centre in Glenunga. I would be aiming for UHF from there if there are no obstructions (buildings/trees etc) from your property, if nothing else because UHF is less affected by impulse noise.

You will need a band 5 antenna. Hills TMX18B5 part number FB607081B, or if your path is a obstructed Hills ULTIMAX36 (FB608542). Be aware that if there are issues with not having a clear line of sight to the transmitter, antenna location can be critical to success.

I have a question for the Gurus as I cannot get SBS Digital where I am in Wistow near Mt Barker. I found out that the digital signal comes from the ntl tower summit rd Crafers, I got my GPS and put in the lat long for this spot and my antenna is pointing in the right direction. I thought that I may only have a VHF antenna only as SBS is the only station transmitted in UHF being channel 33 but I can get a rough picture on the old analogue TV so does this mean I do currently have a UHF and VHF antenna? as a bloke at work said that I had the wrong antenna but I'm not convinced.

Cheers

I have a question for the Gurus as I cannot get SBS Digital where I am in Wistow near Mt Barker. I found out that the digital signal comes from the ntl tower summit rd Crafers, I got my GPS and put in the lat long for this spot and my antenna is pointing in the right direction. I thought that I may only have a VHF antenna only as SBS is the only station transmitted in UHF being channel 33 but I can get a rough picture on the old analogue TV so does this mean I do currently have a UHF and VHF antenna? as a bloke at work said that I had the wrong antenna but I'm not convinced.

Cheers

Replied here