Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justin25

Afl Broadcast Truce Needed

29 posts in this topic

AFL CHIEF Executive Andrew Demetriou has flagged the need for host broadcasters Channel Seven and Fox Footy to settle its differences over some issues with the dual broadcast rights.

Channel Seven and Fox Footy, as well as Telstra, invested $1.25 billion in to the broadcast rights, which gives them sole possession of the rights from 2012-2016.

However, with the start of the football season on March 24 it has become apparent there are some issues with what each broadcaster can and can't do.

Firstly, games hosted by Channel Seven are being simulcast on Fox Footy with distinct silences between commercial breaks.

LINK TO FULL STORY http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/131944/default.aspx

what a joke to say Andrew Demetriou said he only became aware of the issue a few days agao come on

Who cares about the silence between goals? Doesnt worry me one bit. The main issue is Channel 7 filming the game in SD.

Who cares about the silence between goals? Doesnt worry me one bit. The main issue is Channel 7 filming the game in SD.

I sent a query about the SD broadcasts to the AFL on Friday via the AFL website and haven't had a reply yet

I can see 1 of a couple of outcomes here;

Se7en games looking like they did last week on Fox - slightly better then the start of the season, but still upscaled.

or

Foxtel changing their advertising slogan to "most games in HD".

I'm deliberately being pessimistic, hoping to be shocked at a better outcome..

Edited by Ralfi

I can see 1 of a couple of outcomes here;

Se7en games looking like they did last week on Fox - slightly better then the start of the season, but still upscaled.

or

Foxtel changing their advertising slogan to "most games in HD".

I'm deliberately being pessimistic, hoping to be shocked at a better outcome..

Fox still reckon it's 'live in HD', they're being shown to be full of crap though with reports in The Age and on the AFL website telling us what we already know that they're only SD

I wouldn't trust Andrew Demetriou as far as I could kick a politician up a wet hill.

As far as I'm concerned when utters more than 2 words in a row, I reckon he's telling porkies.

"The second thing is we (AFL) do collect archival footage, we don't want to be storing these games when there's these breaks between quarters.
Perhaps someone should tell Andrew that people that 'archive' shows usually just edit out these 'breaks'. Alternatively they could archive the FTA broadcast instead of the Foxtel one if they really want to keep the breaks.
On that other issue of HD, I only found out about it the other day," he said
Astounding. $1.25 billion involved and their only just being told that SD and HD are concepts to be aware off?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

"On that other issue of HD, I only found out about it the other day," he said

More like 'don't tell me stuff I don't want to hear'

"Again it doesn't seem to be in the spirit with what was agreed [upon] and hopefully some common sense can prevail there too."

What about all the punters who signed contracts with Fox to view HD footy? Where do they stand Andrew? At the end of a money-paying queue going nowhere I'm guessing!

"Let's hope we can all sit down and break bread and sort it out."

I wouldn't want my arm to be in the way while Andrew is reaching for the bread. Have you seen the size of him lately?

It's all about gouging money. Rip off the masses. Snouts in the trough & getting his big fat head in the media any chance he gets.

I'm not a fan!

I think it's been said on here before, but it's good that this is being spoken about in the mainstream media by industry figure heads and not just on forums such as this one and Big Footy.

I saw it got another mention on Footy Classified the other night during "Good call, bad call"...Garry Lyon saying how much he wants to enjoy his footy in "Stunning HD". Again - easy to whack the competition when you don't have the rights!

Be nice if they flicked the switch tonight! We shall wait and see!

D.

looks as though they have resolved the talking issue in between the goals they just kicked a goal and channel 7 went to a add and the channel 7 commentators were still talking on fox footy

how will they resolve the hd issue will fox help them out with hd cameras or will channel 7 use their own i doubt it channel 7 don't want to spend the money to do it in HD do they

how will they resolve the hd issue will fox help them out with hd cameras or will channel 7 use their own i doubt it channel 7 don't want to spend the money to do it in HD do they

See, this is what I'm not sure about - are Se7en using HD equipment to film games???