Sign in to follow this  
Dr Nick

Afl Terrible Mosquito Noise

Hello All

Am I the only one that thinks the picture quality for the AFL is terrible. Its been like this for the last few years. Terrible mosquito noise (Gibb effect - i think). The fuzz around the players drives me mad. Even the channel seven logo has it. I assume they are just over compressing the signal. They paid a fortune for the rights so how about they do it justice with a decent picture. Or maybe they think I will pack up the JVC X3 and just watch it on my phone.

I know its not my setup because the superbowl looked sensational. No noise on that picture. Is it too much ask for our own code to get a decent broacast quality!

I will send a whinge to channel seven and the AFL but unless others also push them I spose we will be stuck with it.

GRRRr......

Yeah, I have been annoyed about this for years. IIRC the channels don't even have a usable complaints phone line.

It would appear from their lack of response to picture quality issues over the years that channels don't give a flying fig about viewers apart from what they think advertisers might think viewers may watch.

Some people may need to record it, use a program to clean it up, and then watch that, to avoid spewing in their boots at the mess on the TV screen.

Edited by halsboss

IS the HD feed from FOXTELL similarly crap? Are they compreessing it as well? Or is this a channell seven specialty.

You can see it around the 7 logo -- it's mostly due to the rubbish upscaling from SD to HD on the 7mate channel.

Even though the cameras are HD (and have cameramen with '7' on their shirts), you can only see the HD quality on Fox Footy HD.

If the HD was fed directly into 7mate (rather than through 7SD which is made for the southern states), the compression artefacts wouldn't be such a big deal.

Assume the position gentlemen; assume the position!

Meanwhile Andrew Demetriou wheels up the barrow with the assorted fruit & veg for inserting.

It's gunna hurt, but Andrew doesn't care. We aren't on his card XMAS list.

Actually, I think Andrew enjoys watching us scream in pain.

Come the revolution...

Watching the upscaled 7 game on foxHD got rid of that anoying noise but pic was still not great,i expected alittle more from the fox upscale.

I sent a complaint to the AFL and to channel 7 but dont expect a response. I was actually thinking that it would be better to send the complaints to the channel 7 sponsors. Channel seven would listen to them I am sure. SO if hungry jacks, bunnings, toyota etc suddenly got email from us all saying that we are migrating to foxtel to get a better picture then that is them loosing audience for their advertising. Maybe that would have a bigger impact. Yes they may still advertise on fox but its commercial free during the game. They cant bomb us with ads during the game as they do on free to air. If we set up a pole or a petition for better PQ and then sent that to the sponsors then that may be a better strategy (. Surely these proud sponsors would want to be associated with "proudly sponsoring the best broadcast of this great Australian game". Who want to be associated with sponsoring a crap broadcast.

Watching the upscaled 7 game on foxHD got rid of that anoying noise but pic was still not great,i expected alittle more from the fox upscale.

Was it really upscaled on Fox Footy? I had the impression that all games were produced in HD and shown as such on Fox Footy HD.

The game will be replayed a few times on Friday (3am, 8:30am, 2:30pm) so we can both have another look at it then.

CK.

Was it really upscaled on Fox Footy? I had the impression that all games were produced in HD and shown as such on Fox Footy HD.

The game will be replayed a few times on Friday (3am, 8:30am, 2:30pm) so we can both have another look at it then.

CK.

All ch7 produced games will be upscaled on fox.

All ch7 produced games will be upscaled on fox.

Nearly half the games people are being asked to pay top dollar for........

Nearly half the games people are being asked to pay top dollar for........

I'm not paying any more than last year when there was no footy channel...............

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By McDigital
      G'day,

A new season is about to begin, but we have the Womens competition to look at first, it's the first season of an 8 team competition over 7 rounds plus finals. Seven have 1 match per week, being Saturday night, but in Round 1 they have the Friday Night match as a bonus. Fox Footy have all matches. The Grand Final is exclusive on Seven though

Friday Night: Carlton v Collingwood - First Bounce: 7:45pm AEDST
      Played At: Ikon Park, Carlton North

LIVE To:
      Tasmania including Hobart at 7:30pm on Southern Cross
      N.T. including Darwin at 7pm on Southern Cross
      Victoria including Melbourne at 7:30pm on Seven and Prime
      S.A. including Adelaide at 7pm on Seven and Southern Cross GTS/BKN
      W.A. including Perth at 4:30pm on 7mate
      A.C.T. and N.S.W. including Sydney at 7:30pm on 7mate
      Qld including Brisbane at 6:30pm on 7mate
      Nationwide at 7:30pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (7pm ACDST - 6:30pm AEST - 6pm ACST - 4:30pm AWST)

Saturday: Adelaide v G.W. Sydney - First Bounce: 4:35pm ACDST - 5:05pm AEDST
      Played At: Thebarton Oval, Torrensville

LIVE To:
      S.A. including Adelaide at 4:30pm on Seven and Southern Cross GTS/BKN
      Nationwide at 5pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (4:30pm ACDST - 4pm AEST - 3:30pm ACST - 2pm AWST)

Saturday Night: W. Bulldogs v Fremantle - First Bounce: 7:40pm AEDST - 4:40pm AWST
      Played At; VU Whitten Oval, Footscray

LIVE To:
      Tasmania including Hobart at 7:30pm on Southern Cross
      N.T. including Darwin at 7pm on Southern Cross
      Victoria including Melbourne at 7:30pm on Seven and Prime
      W.A. including Perth at 4:30pm on 7mate
      A.C.T. and N.S.W. including Sydney at 7:30pm on 7mate
      Qld including Brisbane at 6:30pm on 7mate
      Nationwide at 7:30pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (7pm ACDST - 6:30pm AEST - 6pm ACST - 4:30pm AWST)

Sunday: Melbourne v Brisbane - First Bounce: 5:05pm AEDST - 4:05pm AEST
      Played At: Casey Fields, Cranbourne East

LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 5pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (4:30pm ACDST - 4pm AEST - 3:30pm ACST - 2pm AWST)
    • By McDigital
      G'day,
      We're back for another season, starting with the NAB Challenge, which is on tonight!
      There's Four weeks of action, but only on Thrusdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. This is Week One
      Thursday Night: Hawthorn v Carlton - First Bounce: 7:10pm AEDST
      Played At: Aurora Stadium, Launceston
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 7pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (6:30pm ACDST - 6pm AEST - 5:30pm ACST - 4pm AWST)
      Friday Night: Fremantle v Richmond - First Bounce: 4:10pm AWST - 7:10pm AEDST
      Played At: Rushton Oval, Mandurah
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 7pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (6:30pm ACDST - 6pm AEST - 5:30pm ACST - 4pm AWST)
      Saturday: St. Kilda v Nth. Melbourne - First Bounce: 2:05pm AEDST
      Played At: Norm Minns Oval, Wangaratta
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 2pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (1:30pm ACDST - 1pm AEST - 12:30pm ACST - 11am AWST)
      Saturday: Sydney v Pt. Adelaide - First Bounce: 4:40pm AEDST - 4:10pm ACDST
      Played At: Blacktown International Sportspark, Blacktown
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 4:30pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (4pm ACDST - 3:30pm AEST - 3pm ACST - 1:30pm AWST)
      Sunday: Adelaide v West Coast - First Bounce: 1:35pm ACDST - 11:05am AWST
      Played At: Unley Oval, Adelaide
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 2pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (1:30pm ACDST - 1pm AEST - 12:30pm ACST - 11am AWST)
      Sunday: Brisbane v Gold Coast - First Bounce: 3:40pm AEST
      Played At: Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, Burpengary
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 4:30pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (4pm ACDST - 3:30pm AEST - 3pm ACST - 1:30pm AWST)
    • By McDigital
      Was a glorious picture on Fox Footy
    • By McDigital
      G'day,
      It's the start of a new season, and I'm in the middle of writing the pre-season games on here. Unfortunately conditions in summer cause my laptop to shut down when it's too hot, so instead of getting half way through a post, and it doesn't save (especially when there's 18 games to do in one hit) this is the starting post
    • By McDigital
      G'day,
      Looks like the pre-season has snuck up on us, but it's pretty much the same as last year, you can enjoy it on Pay TV, here's this weeks games, for week 1 of Round 1 of the NAB Cup
      Friday Night: Essendon v W. Bulldogs - First Bounce: 6:45pm AEDST
      Played At: Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 6:30pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (6pm ACDST - 5:30pm AEST - 5pm ACST - 3:30pm AWST)
      Friday Night: W. Bulldogs v Collingwood - First Bounce: 7:50pm AEDST
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 7:40pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (7:10pm ACDST - 6:40pm AEST - 6:10pm ACST - 4:40pm AWST)
      Friday Night: Collingwood v Essendon - First Bounce: 8:55pm AEDST
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 8:50pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (8:20pm ACDST - 7:50pm AEST - 7:20pm ACST - 5:50pm AWST)
      Saturday: West Coast v Geelong - First Bounce: 4:40pm AWST - 7:40pm AEDST
      Played At: Patersons Stadium, Perth
      LIVE To:
      Saturday: Fremantle v Geelong - First Bounce: 5:45pm AWST - 8:45pm AEDST
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 8:40pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (8:10pm ACDST - 7:40pm AEST - 7:10pm ACST - 5:40pm AWST)
      Saturday: West Coast v Fremantle - First Bounce: 6:50pm AWST
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 9:50pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (9:20pm ACDST - 8:50pm AEST - 8:20pm ACST - 6:50pm AWST)
      Sunday: Adelaide v St. Kilda - First Bounce: 4:10pm ACDST - 4:40pm AEDST
      Played At: AAMI Stadium, Adeiaide
      LIVE To:
      Sunday: Pt. Adelaide v St. Kilda - First Bounce: 5:15pm ACDST - 5:45pm AEDST
      Played At: AAMI Stadium, Adelaide
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 5:40pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (5:10pm ACDST - 4:40pm AEST - 4:10pm ACST - 2:40pm AWST)
      Sunday: Adelaide v Pt. Adelaide - First Bounce: 6:20pm ACDST
      Played At: AAMI Stadium, Adelaide
      LIVE To:
      Nationwide at 6:50pm AEDST on Fox Footy and HD (6:20pm ACDST - 5:50pm AEST - 5:20pm ACST - 3:50pm AWST)