Sign in to follow this  
dgperth

What's The Next Big Thing For Foxtel?

I can remember all the hype when Foxtel went digital. I can also remember the excitement of HD arriving. After years of the leadup and implementation of those advances there doesn't seem to be another "big thing" on the horizon. There are smaller goals to that are gradually being reached, e.g. there are now only a few channels that aren't in widescreen format, Foxtel has aimed to make the IQ the standard box but I think 25% of subscribers still have non-IQ boxes, maybe more channels will go HD, manufacturers are working on making affordable ultra HD TVs. Anyone out there know of any exciting advances?

I can remember all the hype when Foxtel went digital. I can also remember the excitement of HD arriving. After years of the leadup and implementation of those advances there doesn't seem to be another "big thing" on the horizon. There are smaller goals to that are gradually being reached, e.g. there are now only a few channels that aren't in widescreen format, Foxtel has aimed to make the IQ the standard box but I think 25% of subscribers still have non-IQ boxes, maybe more channels will go HD, manufacturers are working on making affordable ultra HD TVs. Anyone out there know of any exciting advances?

They could take a huge leap forward and increase transponder capacity for their HD channels so we can have decent bitrates !

cheers laurie

they could also change their subscription options so that you don't need to get "the basic package" before you can get other packages, e.g. if I was able to get the NRL in HD each month without having to pay for the basic package, then it would cost me maybe $30-50 per month, but with the current system I have to buy the "basic package + sport + HD access + PVR".

The basic package imo just goes to stop pensioners and other low income earners from being able to have pay tv if all they want is a sporting code, or just watch movies, or just watch documentaries as having the basic package and what they want makes them have to pay $50-70 per month to watch maybe 1 or 2 channels. very poor value for money.

Alternatively they could keep the requirement to have the basic package and then give people the ability to "purchase" channels for $2-4 per channel. It would allow people who just want 1 or 3 channels from a package to save and those who want 4+ to get the whole package as they'd otherwise pay more.

That a-la-carte model simply doesn't work - that's why almost no providers on the planet offer it.

Even IP based providers like FetchTV use tier-based pricing.

The 'next big thing' for Foxtel would be a full VoD service, and its already well on the way to delivering it.

Premium Subscriber packages where you pay a bit more for shows without ads (for the time being anyway) :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Reduction in frequency of ad-breaks.

Abandonment of in-programme self-promotion of the , "Now....what you're currently watching; Next... exactly the same programme which the info bar will tell you is on next; Later... repeat of the same show you are trying to watch at the moment" variety.

All 'on-demand' content FREE of charge.

Foxtel are spoilt for choice when considering the 'next' BIG thing.

LOL, get ready guys I believe it will be another price increase, shocking install quality done by trainees, on the plus side you might get another free footy remote next year :poke:

Don't start me on remotes :no:

cheers laurie

I'd like to see a pensioner discount.

I agree, Foxtel is shameful in this regard. At one point my Grandma was paying over $90 a month, and only ever watched Discovery.

JSmith :ninja:

I agree, Foxtel is shameful in this regard. At one point my Grandma was paying over $90 a month, and only ever watched Discovery.

How is that FOXTEL's fault that your Grandma didn't cancel her other packages?

Don't see why pensioners should get a discount from a private company anyway.

Few things.

1) When having a program set to record, it should record the program and automatically adjust the record timing so that the end of the show is not missed, not record 10 or 15 minutes of the last program. example: Please marry my son overrunning by 25 minutes or so and well into The Amazing Race - hence we recorded 25 minutes of dross.....

2) Viewers choice for Foxsports - surely software can be updated so that we can choose the game and have it be recorded rather than the game being "aired"

3) Agree with the 4:3 programmes being shown - mainly Arena Channel when they are recently recorded from the U.S - WTF this is 2012 how can they still be recordong in 4:3 !!!!! - Oh and I have tried the "stretch" "Letterbox" etc in the Foxtel set up menu...doesn't work anymore as I have a Full HD TV - used to work with my older Samsung HD TV.

My 2 cents.

Better Active services. Would like to see all the Sky News Active Channels in full screen (UK has had this for a number of years), ABC News 24 should have red button active services too, similar to BBC News 24 in the UK.

Would also like to be able to records sports which are shown on the red button.

How is that FOXTEL's fault that your Grandma didn't cancel her other packages?

Don't see why pensioners should get a discount from a private company anyway.

How pleasant... Let's hope you never end up living on a tiny pension handout. We'll see what you say about that then.

I'm trying to stop myself from forming a large L with my hand... :rolleyes:

I'd like to see ESPN 3D actually show something other than little league, X games and college basketball on continuous looping

I'd like to see ESPN 3D actually show something other than little league, X games and college basketball on continuous looping

There are a couple of upcoming 3D specials to commemorate the Titanic centenary

Advertising campaigns that don't misinform people? "All games live & in brilliant HD".....