Sign in to follow this  
:) al

Stunning Pictures

guys since getting a pj sometime last year, have been steadily watching quite a few movies, and been quite taken aback by the sheer picture quality on some of them. thought perhaps a good topic of a thread - if not done already. Maybe some place to share some movies have watched and just gone wow with regard the picture quality on the big screen :)

some immediately coming to mind. in no particular order,

old classics,

Sound of music

Benhur

The Bridge on the river Kwai

Modern

Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended edition)

Red Baron

King Kong

Foreign films

Tell no one

Music

Crossroads

Animations

Lady and the Tramp

Lion King

Winnie the pooh

Documentary

Baraka

3D

Pirates of caribean stranger tides

any movies coming to mind that have been just stunning in their picture quality ?

Cool thread Al and whilst it might sound like some form of elitist snobbery, a front projector is the only way to watch films.

It is highly gratifying to see the excitement generated especially with members getting a PJ for the first time and some upgrading, imho there is nothing like sitting back and enjoying a movie,TV show or sport on a genuine big screen with the quality of picture afforded to us nowadays via projection......

Good idea Al , l have'nt watched a lot yet ( kids are hogging it ! ) but l watched " My week with marilyn " and thought it was very good picture and sound wise ..though that was off my hard drive via the WDTV ( still 1080p though )

13 Asassins was excellent , it's well worth a watch

l'll have to compile a list as l've watched lots of movies that are worth noting , just not on this pj

What i find very impressive are the 1080p Animations like Despicable Me or Toy Story 3. They look amazing on the PJ.

Excellent thread Al :)

2D BR Flicks that look stunning

Back to the Future

Valkyrie

(Tear rolls down cheek) Hope my pj gets fixed soon :hmm:

Edited by Crist

Just thinking back off the top of my head...

The American (maybe the way it was shot as much as the actual image)

Great Migrations BBC doco

Actually any of the BBC BR docos

How does 'Things we lost in the fire' look on blu ray? I remember the HD dvd version was just jaw dropping.

National Treasure 1 and 2 looked great on blu ray. Apocalypto also looked good.

Yellowstone has stunning cinematography as does Baraka.

Yes Baraka. would have to be the reference BRD looks exceptional on the big screen.(Already mentioned by Al in his post above)

The American looks stunning in DVD format so I can imagine hg it would look on BR.

Edited by Crist

thanks for the suggestions guys, great to read the responses. Hopefully this becomes a bit of an appreciation of the movies out there that are quite the visual spectacle ! and boy there are a few out there that are a visual treat arent they. ITs quite amazing can enjoy this kind of thing in the home. And great that the movie makers are taking such effort in these production adding well to the cinematic experience.

had forgotten about and not known about a few there, will be sure to check out !

If I may add a music one Al, I've yet to see anything surpass Eagles Farewell 1 on HDM as yet.....................

ah great suggestion there yorac, I so rue the day sold it of on HDDVD. I so wish one day gets released on BD. though highly unlikely !

another one a stunner is eric claptons cross roads. infact it was what made me finally jump for a PJ. as seeing it at a friends place watching it the PQ so good it really felt like being there !

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1331114759' post='1787124]

ah great suggestion there yorac, I so rue the day sold it of on HDDVD. I so wish one day gets released on BD. though highly unlikely !

another one a stunner is eric claptons cross roads. infact it was what made me finally jump for a PJ. as seeing it at a friends place watching it the PQ so good it really felt like being there !

I am fortunate enough now to have it on BD, every bit as good as the HD DVD, will bring it along to the GTG mate.............

I am fortunate enough now to have it on BD, every bit as good as the HD DVD, will bring it along to the GTG mate.............

Wow this is something I would love to see on the PJ. So will check to see if avail on amazon. Also thanks for the Eric clapton BR suggestion Al. Another for my expanding shopping list.

Wow this is something I would love to see on the PJ. So will check to see if avail on amazon. Also thanks for the Eric clapton BR suggestion Al. Another for my expanding shopping list.

Eagles are not generally available on BD mate, I have a copy of the HD DVD that was ported across to BR.................

Most 35mm film titles are not that flash, "The Tree of Like" is the only 35mm film title that I would give high marks to for image quality, its not a great movie but the picture quality is well above anything else other than 70mm IMax titles.

IMAX Hubble in 3D is just WOW

and space station is right up there too, look up and you may see it :)

I have that title and consider it an epic fail, watched it once and probably never will again. The 3D effects look so contrived, as does all the 3D I have seen that I have no interest in it what so ever.

I have packed my 3D transmitter and glasses back in their boxes where they will stay until the projector is in the hands of its next owner.

3D is a bad joke, the sooner it dies out, as it has done in the past more than once, the better.

Good 2D makes 3D irrelevant.

I have that title and consider it an epic fail, watched it once and probably never will again. The 3D effects look so contrived, as does all the 3D I have seen that I have no interest in it what so ever.

I have packed my 3D transmitter and glasses back in their boxes where they will stay until the projector is in the hands of its next owner.

3D is a bad joke, the sooner it dies out, as it has done in the past more than once, the better.

Good 2D makes 3D irrelevant.

kopthat!