Storm AV, on 01 May 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:
Razorback is not on yet-direct from a win tech today.
Biggest concern is the gov't endorsed installers advised a customer today a complete re-wire and antenna replacement was required. What BS-his amp had died due to corrosion and the cables from antenna's to amp had been chewed by galah's and cockies and needed replacing. Needless to say he is happy and kept many $$$$ in his skyrocket by not paying for substandard unrequired work!
Got to love the insulation-sorry antenna endorsement handed out by the gov't.
I live in Camden and I can assure you that Razorback was switched on around 11am Tuesday 30th April.
Now for my tale of woe:
- knew nothing about the new translator until my son called me at work to say we had lost the wollongong channels so he rescanned his tv, with no luck, but the Sydney channels were ok.
- as the whole antenna system is less than 2 years old and we still had the sydney channels, I thought that maybe the problem was with the transmitter at Knights Hill.
- When I got home I found that the MythTV PVR system couldn't lock on to any channels and a search on the net had found no transmitter problems.
- OK the problem is my end.
- checked the power supply for the masthead amp, all OK. I have seperate UHF VHF antennas, maybe the problem is in the UHF section only.
- No choice, on to the roof I must go. Two storey, two stage climb, corrugated colorbond, 30 degree pitch, just getting dark and slightly damp surface. With wife saying " be careful, I can't watch, the house isn't paid off yet and will I be able to watch The Voice".
- no sign of cocky damage to the cabling, ok I will change the amp as I had a brand new spare amp.
- no change ( wife did get to see The Voice but as the PVR was out of action she had to watch it live - ads and all)
- Tell the wife we need to get an installer in with a spectrum analyser to sort this out.
- Next morning search the net for installers in the area.
- Found the answer on Sight and Sound Connection
website - a new translator at Razorback
- Quick call to Sight and Sound Connection
to organise a call out to re-adjust the antennas and amp
- They were extremly helpful and after a short conversation I was now headed in the right direction without the need of a service call.
- Back on the roof again, son at TV on mobile phone. Disconnected VHF antenna as no longer needed, turned the amp gain to minimum, reception still good on sydney channels.
- rescan TV's and PVR - getting Sydney channels perfectly and Wollongong channels are OK
- readjust recording schedules to use Sydney channels
Only issue at the moment is I think I may have to kiss TVS goodbye due to the reduced amp gain.
A big thank you / recommendation to "Sight and Sound Connection" for their assistance, even doing themselves out of a service call.