Intermittent Interference Causing Bad Signal
Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:29 AM
I am currently experiencing intermittent noise that overrides the TV signal in the Maryland area of Newcastle.
The TV signals are coming from Sugarloaf and are normally very good. On analog the reception is quite good with very little static or noise present at all. For digital reception, my PC tuner card reports signal strengths from 75-85% and 100% quality for all available channels. This normally equates to no dropped frames.
Since my return from Xmas holidays I have noticed periods of VERY BAD interference that are occurring very regularly for extended periods (4-5 hours at a time). The interference effects all three commercial stations on analog (SC10, NBN, Prime) and also effects SC10 and Prime digital channels. The interference makes the digital channels completely unusable and the analog channels contain "patterned" static where it appears at least 50% of the pixels on screen are static rather than picture.
The static appears and disappears at irregular times and is either there or not, nothing in between.
One of the worst periods was during Smallville on Sunday night and during dark scenes it appeared there was another TV signal overlayed in the static. I could not tell which station it was coming from (PayTV perhaps?)
My setup consists of a roof mounted 'Digital' VHF/UHF antenna with mast head amp and Quad coax directly to a single wall outlet.
Does anyone have any ideas about how I can reduce my reception of the interference or try and pin down who or what is causing it?
I suspect that one of my neighbours has acquired some electronic device over the holiday period and it is either wired incorrectly (Such as one of those PayTV modulators that inject Composite signal back onto RF) or placed too close to something (electronically) noisy like an Airconditioning unit.
Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:14 PM
Edited by thesatelliteguy, 10 January 2006 - 09:15 PM.
Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:55 PM
Feeling somewhat like a fool I'll reply with thanks to TheSatelliteGuy for giving me the tip to look into my own system.
I made a bad assumption that any problems in my own system would be evident across all channels. With the recommendation to check my own setup I thought I'd check the wall connector inside before I attempted a climb. The problem was immediately evident. The back of the wall socket was into an advanced stage of rust and a small amount of jiggling fixed the picture straight away. Needless to say I'll be replacing it ASAP.