Panasonic Hd Dvdr Dmr-Xw385 Recording In Xp, Sp, Lp And EpDR vs XP recording in Panason
Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:00 PM
Manual says that you can record in XP etc if you use AV source which can be STB or VCR. Before I buy a HD STB my question is:
Will the DVDR be able to choose which incoming channel it records (that is would the STB simply pass the spectrum of signals through to the DVDR) or would the STB need to be set to the channel you wish to record prior to recording.
Suspect it is the latter but hope it might be the former.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:34 PM
And, of course, the STB has to be showing the program being recorded, so you won't be able to watch something else live on the STB while you record to the DVDR.
IMO, you'd probably be better off recording on the DVDR and converting overnight.
Edited by prl, 08 May 2012 - 01:36 PM.
Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:34 PM
That's what I suspected but didn't want to not look at alternatives.
Looks like I'll need to convert overnight when nothing else is being recorded.
Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:09 PM
Have you already bought the DVDR? Considered getting a PVR with larger HDD capacity instead? Topfield has a 1TB model, and Beyonwiz has a 2TB model. The DMR-XW385 has a 350GB HDD, which is on the small side in the digital recorder game these days. Dealspace has the Beyonwiz DP-P2TB (2TB HDD) for $549 at the moment, same as the RRP for the DMR-XW385, and IceTV has the Topfield TRF-2460 (1TB HDD) for $599. Both also allow you to copy recordings off to compress there if you really want to.
[Beyonwiz beta tester]
Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:10 PM
Have you already bought the DVDR? Considered getting a PVR with larger HDD capacity instead? Topfield has a 1TB model, and Beyonwiz has a 2TB model. The DMR-XW385 has a 350GB HDD, which is on the small side in the digital recorder game these days. Dealspace has the Beyonwiz DP-P2TB (2TB HDD) for $549 at the moment, same as the RRP for the DMR-XW385, and IceTV has the Topfield TRF-2460 (1TB HDD) for $599. Both also allow you to copy recordings off to compress there if you really want to, and both allow you to record off analog if you want to.
[Beyonwiz beta tester]
Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:50 AM
Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:36 AM
I also asked Panasonic and this is their reply:
" Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.
You are able to purchased an External Set Top Box and connect to the AV input on the Recorder. The STB needs to have a yellow red and white AV connection. This is connected to the AV input on the Video Recorder. Press input select on the remote for the recorder until AV is displayed on the front. The remote for the STB is then used to change channels. You then able to record the channel selected on the STB. If the Channel on the STB is changed, the channel being recorded will change."
This confirms prl's advice that you need to have the STB turned on and set to the channel you want to record which pretty much destroys the ability to set a timer for a range of different channels and times and not have to continually fiddle with the STB.
Looks like its DR and then compress. One positive is that you can set the compress to start when the DVDR is in standby mode and have the machine automatically delete the DR recording. Means you don't have to sit and wait to decompress if you are recoding something else.
I needed a DVDR to allow "easy" transfer to DVD-R, just seems as the HDD get larger the transfer of files gets harder.
Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:21 AM
Although I think this is a backward step, I can sort of see Panasonics reason for doing this, it saves them from dealing with a lot of angry and confused owners who ring to complain that they tried to record two channels at once and the machine wouldn't let them because the owners hadn't read the manual closely enough to realise that by setting the recording mode to something other than DR mode they were restricting themselves to recording one channel at a time.
They have probably done some sort of user survey to find out how most people use their machines and found that 99% of recordings are just watched from the HDD then deleted and for the other 1%, 0.9% most people didn't plan to record it to DVD/BD when setting the timer but decided to transfer it for a relative or friend after watching, leaving the final 0.1% to put up with having to tie up the recorder doing a conversion of bitrate and transfer who would previously been able to record at a high speed transfer rate.
p.s. please don't flame me for my decidedly dodgy statistics, they are taken from my own recording habits not an official survey conducted by a reputible organisation and published in a peer reviewed scientific journal. ;-)
Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:09 PM
Your recording habits just about mirror mine.
Your statistics are now peer reviewed by a... (hmm) reputible... (er)...entity?