• Announcements

• Scorchie™

Upgrade   07/22/2016

Welcome to Version 4.  You will need to log back in with your Display Name and/or Email Address.  If you don't know this, please issue a password or account reset to obtain the details you need. Some posts will appear "broken" (links, quote text, et al).  The forum is rebuilding all content which will take some time to complete.  Once this is done, the "missing" posts should also hopefully reappear. Should you encounter problems and wish to discuss, please post here:  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blybo

Oppo 93 Vs Cambridge Br Player

54 posts in this topic

Okay, so I'm in the market for a reasonable (bang for buck) universal player to go with my 4306 Denon avr. This is a lovely and grunty amp so not looking to replace it at this stage yet it lacks the HD sound processing available these days so I need to get the decoding done in the player. The 4306 has analogue inputs as well as a spare HDMI in.

I was told the Cambridge and Oppo 93 are virtually the same machine but are there advantages of one over the other :unsure: ? I know the Oppo 95 has a better analogue output stage but my budget won't really stretch to a Oppo 95 and I'm not really sure my amp/speaker combo warrants it anyway :( . I'm told I could send video directly to my projector via HDMI on the oppo and sound to the amp via analogue or the 2nd HDMI output. Would sound over HDMI have any befit over analogue allowing for the lack of decoders in my avr?

The main advantage of using HDMI for audio are less issues with video synch and no issues with bass management, but they're not deal breakers for many people.

blybo

I expect the Oppo 93 will decode the dts-hdma and dolby true-hd (and sacd, and dvd-a and hdcd and hd-flac and multi-channel flac) and output it as lpcm over hdmi to the 4306 (instead of bit-streaming). Would that be enough? Your existing denon 4306 settings/audyssey/bass management will look after it all from there. I don't think you need to go analogue out in this case, unless you want to.

Benje

Okay, so I'm in the market for a reasonable (bang for buck) universal player to go with my 4306 Denon avr. This is a lovely and grunty amp so not looking to replace it at this stage yet it lacks the HD sound processing available these days so I need to get the decoding done in the player. The 4306 has analogue inputs as well as a spare HDMI in.

I was told the Cambridge and Oppo 93 are virtually the same machine but are there advantages of one over the other :unsure: ? I know the Oppo 95 has a better analogue output stage but my budget won't really stretch to a Oppo 95 and I'm not really sure my amp/speaker combo warrants it anyway :( . I'm told I could send video directly to my projector via HDMI on the oppo and sound to the amp via analogue or the 2nd HDMI output. Would sound over HDMI have any befit over analogue allowing for the lack of decoders in my avr?

I have had conversations with two different forum members one comapring the CA650 with the Oppo 83 and the other comparing the CA751 with Oppo 93 (I did purchased the 93 of him so that sort of indicates his thoughts on the matter).

In both cases the picture quality is near enough the same between the CA and Oppo with the 751 and 93 being slightly better than the earlier models.

Audio quality,

- CA was considered better for 2 channel by both,

- multi channel audio the 83 was considered better than the CA650, the CA751 was considered better than the 93. Having said that the difference was described as quite small and could easily be attributed to liking a slightly warmer sound for the CA 751.

From a price persepctive the CA751 sits between the 93 and 95 so hard to make a call.

My two bobs worth I went with the oppo 93, for me it is all about bluray playback ( I have a CA 540D to handle DVD and CD playback). I thought that it was the right amount of money to spend in relativeto the rest of my system ie balanced.

Hope that helps

I have had conversations with two different forum members one comapring the CA650 with the Oppo 83 and the other comparing the CA751 with Oppo 93 (I did purchased the 93 of him so that sort of indicates his thoughts on the matter).

One thing to remember is the CA 650 is more closely related to the Oppo 80 than 83.....

While the CA 650 has a better analogue stage (IMHO, BTW I own one), the Oppo 80 architecture was designed more as a 'Decoder &/or Transport' with output geared towards HDMI (Single HDMI only though).

Given the OP wants to split the outputs and the benefits of sending the decoded audio over HDMI he would need one of the devices with dual HDMI outs.

So this narrows it down to the Oppo 93/95 & CA 751.

In terms of Audio/Video decoding and transmitting over HDMI, given these three are based on the same architecture, there is probably little in it.

The Oppo 95 and CA 751 (well, most likely in the case of the CA) will have better analogue output stages than the Oppo 93, however the OP has stated the Oppo 95 is beyond the budget....

So to my way of thinking it comes down to a choice between the Oppo 93 & CA 751.

If it were me I would compare the prices (including region free chip) and if the CA is less or only a little more expensive I'd go for that.

Then you'd also make an analogue connection to the Denon for 2ch/multi-ch music listening! ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I've just done a quick ebay search and found I'll be looking at well over 1K for the 751 whereas I could pick up a Oppo 93 for about half that from the US :blink: which is even cheaper than the CA650.

My understanding is I don't need to split my player output into separate video & audio unless I upgrade to a 3D projector and want to utilize the 3D capabilities, which I doubt I'd be terribly interested in but nice to know I could I guess. Although I prefer a warmer sound and the aesthetics of the CA it looks hard to justify the price difference.

The 93 doesn't have separate analogue outputs for 7.1 (i'd only use 5.1 at this stage) and stereo but is that a theoretical weakness or a physical one? I guess I could just try all available digital and analogue connection options and evaluate which sounds best with my amp, which being around 4K locally when new (I bought mine in HK for half that) would have a pretty decent DAC in it anyway.

I looked at the CA and the Oppo 83 when I was buying. One of my deal breakers was I wanted Subtitle shift so I could use scope display without fear of losing subtitles in the black bars that had been removed. CA did not have it at the time but I sent to their techs in Britain who said amazingly that it was being worked on by the techs in Oz. I rang them and after 2 months of them saying they knew nothing about it, the guy is away on leave etc. They finally answered my call and I heard someone in the background say tell him we are not bothering with it, as I spoke to a lady on the desk. Gave up on them. Someone mentioned they did finally get it to work, but the 83SE I have I think turned out to be a better buy.

The 93 doesn't have separate analogue outputs for 7.1 (i'd only use 5.1 at this stage) and stereo but is that a theoretical weakness or a physical one? I guess I could just try all available digital and analogue connection options and evaluate which sounds best with my amp, which being around 4K locally when new (I bought mine in HK for half that) would have a pretty decent DAC in it anyway.

blybo

the 93 has one set of 7.1 analogue connections. You use the set-up on-screen to advise if you want 2 channel, 5.1 or 7.1 out of those analogue connections. Easy to change.

(the 83 had a set of 7.1 analogue plus a set of stereo analogue with better dac's)

I would have thought you would use the hdmi feeding decoded lpcm from the oppo 93 to your denon 4306, and perhaps have a separate analogue stereo connection to the denon 4306 (your choice). The Oppo will output simultaneously from both hdmi and the analogue connections. You could have an oppo hdmi connection as 'dvd' and an anlogue connection as 'cd' or some video/audio connection. Your choice.

Benje

Now also contemplating a Denon DBP-2012UDCI... mainly because I've always been a fan of Denon stuff and I already have a Denon AVR. Is the "look" of matching components worth $400 over and above an Oppo??? I doubt it but then again... I've heard very good things about the Marantz UP and assume this is basically the same innards in a different case.

Anyone here has owned a Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-ray Disc Player and now owns an Oppo BDP95, and would be kind enough to let me know how it compares against the Sony?

Dan.

Couldn't wait, I've pulled the trigger on a new Oppo 93 from Amazon... $560 delivered but delivery could be up to 3 weeks. I'm in no hurry as it will quite some time before the HT is ready but it would be nice to hook up Grand Final day and re watch last years prior to this years final... Until the room is basically finished we will just use the budget Samsung BR player on our SD telly.

Anyone here has owned a Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-ray Disc Player and now owns an Oppo BDP95, and would be kind enough to let me know how it compares against the Sony?

Dan.

I have both, the sony is still a very swish machine. the 95 has balanced outs, 3D capability and a universal player so something to go for if thats what your after. For BD replay the oppo a touch quicker, and also can be multi regioned but apart from that I'd stick with the sony :)

I have both, the sony is still a very swish machine. the 95 has balanced outs, 3D capability and a universal player so something to go for if thats what your after. For BD replay the oppo a touch quicker, and also can be multi regioned but apart from that I'd stick with the sony :)

Thanks Al.

I am primarily interested in audio performance, especially through its 2-channel RCA outputs and 2-channel XLR ourputs. If the Oppo BDP95 is not signficantly ahead of the Sony, then I think I shall be sticking with the Sony for the time being.

Dan.

Thanks Al.

I am primarily interested in audio performance, especially through its 2-channel RCA outputs and 2-channel XLR ourputs. If the Oppo BDP95 is not signficantly ahead of the Sony, then I think I shall be sticking with the Sony for the time being.

Dan.

the oppo95 is a step up from the sony, but Dan you already have the KI pearl so wouldnt see why would go for the oppo95. so yeah with the combination you have already I wouldnt see the sense in replacing.

the oppo95 is a step up from the sony, but Dan you already have the KI pearl so wouldnt see why would go for the oppo95. so yeah with the combination you have already I wouldnt see the sense in replacing.

Thanks Al. I am interested in improving 2-channel movie sound, and was just wondering whether the Oppo '95 would represent a significant step-up in that area, and also whether video quality is a step-up from the Sony BDP-S5000ES.

Dan.

Thanks Al. I am interested in improving 2-channel movie sound, and was just wondering whether the Oppo '95 would represent a significant step-up in that area, and also whether video quality is a step-up from the Sony BDP-S5000ES.

Dan.

Hey mate if interested in moving the Sony on let me know.......... B)

Hey mate if interested in moving the Sony on let me know.......... B)

For sure I shall let you know, if I sell my beloved Sony BDP-S5000ES.

Dan.

Dan.

dan I honestly dont think it would represent a dramatic step up for 2ch movie sound, as far as video quality if do a search you'll find some actually prefering the sony super bit mapping processing though both are marvell based. Differences though would be subtle. On dvd some have had a quibble on the sony but not something have had a problem with. keep in mind the 95 if get it you will have to get it with the pro mod etc if want it to play local region dvd. however the sony of yours is default that way.

ps as an aside have been thinking selling my own sony, as nice as it is, collecting dust a little in the bedroom system, would be a shame to sell it and probably only get a pittance for as paid full price for it when it was released :blush: if I didnt want multichannel sacd/dvda on my main system I'd flog the oppo instead :rolleyes:

dan I honestly dont think it would represent a dramatic step up for 2ch movie sound, as far as video quality if do a search you'll find some actually prefering the sony super bit mapping processing though both are marvell based. Differences though would be subtle. On dvd some have had a quibble on the sony but not something have had a problem with. keep in mind the 95 if get it you will have to get it with the pro mod etc if want it to play local region dvd. however the sony of yours is default that way.

ps as an aside have been thinking selling my own sony, as nice as it is, collecting dust a little in the bedroom system, would be a shame to sell it and probably only get a pittance for as paid full price for it when it was released :blush: if I didnt want multichannel sacd/dvda on my main system I'd flog the oppo instead :rolleyes:

Thanks again Al.

I hardly watch DVD's these days, but when I do, I am always pleasantly surprised at how good picture quality is through the BDP-S5000ES.

I paid $1,599.00 for my Sony, and still feel that it represents good value. If I do sell it, I would probably at best get about $600.00-$700.00 for such a top-quality unit. Might be worth just keeping it, even if I do purchase a new Player.

There is a WA seller with 2 modded Oppo '95 players for region-free playback for $1,499.00 (if my memory serves me right) which appears good value for money.

Dan.

Thanks again Al.

I hardly watch DVD's these days, but when I do, I am always pleasantly surprised at how good picture quality is through the BDP-S5000ES.

I paid $1,599.00 for my Sony, and still feel that it represents good value. If I do sell it, I would probably at best get about $600.00-$700.00 for such a top-quality unit. Might be worth just keeping it, even if I do purchase a new Player.

There is a WA seller with 2 modded Oppo '95 players for region-free playback for $1,499.00 (if my memory serves me right) which appears good value for money.

Dan.

yeah dan I paid full price for the sony on release $2200 :o and partly why never sold it on. its built like a tank too. apart from the top end denon dvda1 which is silly money theres nothing else built like it on the market. for analog its still up there too I reckon in its dac and power supplies and analog stage. the 95 is a nice player. but its not as solid as the sony. also couple of things annoy me with the oppo that it is so damn non responsive on start up because of the stupid network buisness they have put on it. and then theres the non illuminated eject button have to be fumbling around with ! and it doesnt respond to that anyways till fully booted up !

for me some benefits to the oppo, its relatively quick, in use after boot up. the subtitle shift might come in handy with my pj setup with drop down screen when get that up and going. and yeah the multichannel sacd dvda which probably only thing stopping me selling it ;)

I agree with you re the PQ of the sony its something have always found pleasing :)

yeah dan I paid full price for the sony on release $2200 :o and partly why never sold it on. its built like a tank too. apart from the top end denon dvda1 which is silly money theres nothing else built like it on the market. for analog its still up there too I reckon in its dac and power supplies and analog stage. the 95 is a nice player. but its not as solid as the sony. also couple of things annoy me with the oppo that it is so damn non responsive on start up because of the stupid network buisness they have put on it. and then theres the non illuminated eject button have to be fumbling around with ! and it doesnt respond to that anyways till fully booted up !

for me some benefits to the oppo, its relatively quick, in use after boot up. the subtitle shift might come in handy with my pj setup with drop down screen when get that up and going. and yeah the multichannel sacd dvda which probably only thing stopping me selling it ;)

I agree with you re the PQ of the sony its something have always found pleasing :)

The Sony BDP-S5000ES' CD playback is also very decent. Only thing that is annoying is that, unlike dedicated CD Players, it doesn't alloy you to input a track number. You have to keep skipping to the next track.

Dan.

well curiosity got the better of me !

I ended up picking up a 751bd from local retailer that had them discounted.

I see it fitting in someplace between the oppo 93 and 95 as a player.

In quite a few ways it is better than the 95 as well. ie 751 has no fan in operation. it not unresponsive at boot up as the oppp's are. The display on the cambridge is clean clear, bright and large enough to be seen and read easily, unlike the small hard to read display of the oppos. The disc tray feels a lot more solid and comes out all the way unlike the oppos that have disc tray almost out but not quite.

I like the cambridge here as I wouldnt need this player modded as its region B on bluray and region free on DVD out of box, which is all I need. plus a local 3 year warranty vs one year on the oppos. the conventional buttons on the cambridge is good to see too. rather than the rather zanny form over function buttons or lack off provided on the oppo.

That it doesnt have a fan, as the 95 does is a big bonus for the 751bd.

Some things I do wish be different on the cambridge, I so wish it would be available in silver as the other items in the azure range are. I do wish too they hadnt have combined the subtitle and audio buttons in one. as that means subtitle cant be triggered by a universal remote. and has to be selected via disc menus. Its remote is not backlit as most disc player remotes are these days. IT is a very nice remote otherwise.

In other ways I dont think too different to the oppos. but to anyone looking for a player inbetween the oppo 93 and oppo 95 and especially if buying for local region playback and region free dvd out of box this player is very good buying in my opinion :)

Nice review there Al. :)

My earlier generation CA 650BD is also based on a similar architecture to the Oppos but more around the Oppo BD80 level and is designed primarily as a transport.

The form factor is certainly nice on the Cambridge Audios and mine has been rock solid since I bought it, I haven't even updated the firmware since taking it out of the box and it's played everything I've thrown at it without a problem.

If you do decide to go region free (mine is) it's also one of the simplest chip modifications (plug in two connectors) out there and very cheap too.

Of course all this is meaningless without some pictures! :P

Well Al now I think there is only one or two players that you haven't bought/tried. I hope this is your holy grail or some lucky punter will be happy in a few months. j/k :D

Good review too and good to have a unbiased one as you are probably the only one apart from maybe a magazine reviewer that has spent some time with so many players. :)

Nice review there Al. :)

My earlier generation CA 650BD is also based on a similar architecture to the Oppos but more around the Oppo BD80 level and is designed primarily as a transport.

The form factor is certainly nice on the Cambridge Audios and mine has been rock solid since I bought it, I haven't even updated the firmware since taking it out of the box and it's played everything I've thrown at it without a problem.

If you do decide to go region free (mine is) it's also one of the simplest chip modifications (plug in two connectors) out there and very cheap too.

Of course all this is meaningless without some pictures! :P

thanks pete, I do remember the 650BD, and ideal as a transport. and very pleased cambridge have gone forward and developed things further and using the shared basis with oppo, and yeah as you say been absolutely faultless so far. Since selling the oppo 95, going back to using the sony last few weeks and then coming to this it hasnt disappointed. And its had some big shoes to fill in the sony and 95 before.

I do think in form factor it suits me pretty well. has allowed me a re arrange. more options. and also to incorporate back some BD storage in the rack which is how I had things some while back. suits my daughter as well as her discs now within easy reach for her.

my sony for 3 years now has been rock solid, sony still support it and it too played everything thrown at it. so pleased to hear same re the cambridge. as soon as plugged it in. it said it had an update. so did that to refresh it.

In use its been pretty fuss free. off the harmony, things just work. my 3 year old daughter who was used to using the sony, left me jaw hanging when she just walked upto the 751 and pressed the eject button stuck a disc in and pressed the close button to get the disc going. if a 3 year old can just use it just like that off the bat, I would have to say its pretty intuitive in use ! :lol:

I am quite impressed in the fit and finish of the player. it really is solid all the way around in the azur "full metal jacket" construction they use like arcam :D

good to hear re the region free. yes from what I have heard it is a relatively simple operation to install. though I dont need it as such it is a bonus that down the track if have some spare cash and if ever want to add on its just a matter of opening it up and plugging something in. this would be much simpler than on the oppo 95 which I wouldnt recommend anyone do as have to pull quite a bit of the player apart to get to the section where put the kit in. and ends up costing a bit more as a result to pay someone to install.

some pics as requested !

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=att...st&id=12527

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=att...st&id=12530