Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,044 posts in this topic

Any chance a firmware update will allow >2GB internal drive?

The current firmware should work for internal drive up to 4TB.

Edited by wklie

You've made my day! Thanks wklie

Please post your results if you actually put in an internal HDD of size between 2TB and 4TB.

Bought a 4TB WD Green.

Knowing how painfully slow file transfers are, I thought I'd try cloning the original Hitachi in my Bauhn USB3 dock. 2.75hrs later I mounted the WD in the Magic - worked a treat! Magic recognised it as 4TB but available recording space was unchanged.

Removed WD, inserted into Sharkoon dock attached to lappy, booted lappy from GParted Live CD. Unable to resize the partition - presumably MBR needing to change to GPT. (In hindsight I should have checked in case GParted offers that option) Didn't want a separate partition using all the free space so returned the WD to MagicTV, formatted and started transferring recordings from USB drives. That's still a "work in progress"

I thought I'd try cloning the original Hitachi in my Bauhn USB3 dock. 2.75hrs later I mounted the WD in the Magic - worked a treat! Magic recognised it as 4TB but available recording space was unchanged.

Cloning is often not the correct way to transfer recorded programmes beween two HDD of different sizes (unless the cloning software is very smart), especially with one being MBR and another being GPT.

The use of USB dock presents another level of pitfall. It's often the case that a >2TB drive formatted with a USB dock will not be accessible from SATA without reformatting it.

Edited by wklie

Weird behaviour once again - as once reported before the output claimed no signal from the aerial. But of course there was as a DVDR connected to the same splutter was fine and weather conditions are ideal.

And then things got worse ,- it seemed to die completely. But a check of the power supply with a meter showed a clear 12V but of course that did not reveal how it behaved under load.. I had already replaced that PS once so looked for the old unit.but of course could not find it.

Then, maybe because its Xmas time, a MIRACLE occurred and the Magic behaved normally again. The internal signal meter displayed 100% quality and 84% strength.

I guess it could be the PS again so I better order a third unless someone has another suggestion. The thought of a non MAGIC TV existence is too depressing to consider. OK if terrestrial conditions fail to give it enough signal - I'll go over to satellite again then. But if reception is OK that MAGIC is my first choice every time.

John

Just purchased another PS from here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161094298105&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160 Thought to post this for the info of other posters. So cheap maybe a good idea to have one on standby as the PS appears to be a MAGIC weakness. But good it is an external and not internal as is usually the case.

The same unit is available elsewhere for twice that price. It will take awhile to land from Hong Kong so here is hoping the MAGIC behaves until then.

Thanks TD. I have done exactly that - ordered one just in case...

Just purchased another PS from here

http://cgi.ebay.com....ME:L:OC:AU:3160 Thought to post this for the info of other posters. So cheap maybe a good idea to have one on standby as the PS appears to be a MAGIC weakness. But good it is an external and not internal as is usually the case.

The same unit is available elsewhere for twice that price. It will take awhile to land from Hong Kong so here is hoping the MAGIC behaves until then.

That is advertised as 2.5mm. Although I think it should work, the original Magic TV power supply is 2.1mm.

No real problem as it is a simple enough job to solder on another plug if necessary.

I just noticed that, when pressing the Menu button, the Magic logo displays "Happy 2014!" - a nice touch :)

With recent firmwares, you can use 3.5" external HDD (with its own power supply) up to 4TB.

Help needed. I have firmware 6.06au. I already had a 1tb usb powered drive connected. I have bought a WD external 3tb drive (with power supply), and made it into 3 NTFS partitions. The Magic is seeing only 1 of the WD's partitions, giving me 1tb instead of 3tb of extra disk space. What have I done wrong? Should I not have partitioned the WD drive and left it as one 3tb partition? Or perhaps I stuffed up the partitioning process somehow. :hmm:

I just noticed that, when pressing the Menu button, the Magic logo displays "Happy 2014!" - a nice touch :)

They had a Christmas logo too. I recall that they did it last year too.

Help needed. I have firmware 6.06au. I already had a 1tb usb powered drive connected. I have bought a WD external 3tb drive (with power supply), and made it into 3 NTFS partitions. The Magic is seeing only 1 of the WD's partitions, giving me 1tb instead of 3tb of extra disk space. What have I done wrong? Should I not have partitioned the WD drive and left it as one 3tb partition? Or perhaps I stuffed up the partitioning process somehow. :hmm:

The Magic TV is supposed to show 3 drives when you select Preferred Recording Disk. If for some reason it doesn't work properly for you, you may try:

1. Reformat the whole 3TB as a single NTFS partition using a Windows PC

2. Format by Magic TV (as Linux ext2 format)

Is it SBS or have I done something wrong when I originally scanned available channels?

Wanted to record a programme on channel 30 SBS HD but no matter how long I watch the current programme, EPG is never available.

Surfing around I find that it looks as if the EPG is broadcast on channel 351 but when I tune to it I'm told to check the aerial . . no signal . . .duh?

FynrDzynr, are you running MTV3700 firmware? If yes, try manually removing channel 351.

Edited by wklie

The Magic TV is supposed to show 3 drives when you select Preferred Recording Disk. If for some reason it doesn't work properly for you, you may try:

1. Reformat the whole 3TB as a single NTFS partition using a Windows PC

2. Format by Magic TV (as Linux ext2 format)

Hi wklie, thanks for your reply. I tried this but it doesnt show up on the available disk space at all now and the Magic says error when formatting. I tried to do a Magic check disk and repair and it said error 127. I am at a loss. Does it matter if the disk is MBR or GPT. I have installed Partition Wizard which has the option to change it. Dunno what I have done to stuff this up.

Hi wklie, thanks for your reply. I tried this but it doesnt show up on the available disk space at all now and the Magic says error when formatting. I tried to do a Magic check disk and repair and it said error 127. I am at a loss. Does it matter if the disk is MBR or GPT. I have installed Partition Wizard which has the option to change it. Dunno what I have done to stuff this up.

For a 3TB HDD, it must be GPT. It cannot be MBR unless you intend to use 2TB only.

Magic TV can only check/repair ext2 formatted by itself. So the check/repair error you got is normal. However, the format error is abnormal.

Please use Windows or any partition utility to remove all partitions from the HDD. Then use Windows - Disk Management to create an NTFS partition that uses the whole 3TB space.

Also standby, then power cycle your Magic TV. Hopefully it will see your 3TB NTFS.

Edited by wklie

Hi Wklie, I did what you said it still did not work on the Magic. I reset to factory defaults and tried again, failed. It sees it in System Info but nowhere else, and wont format it. :hmm:

Is it worth re-installing firmware 6.06 or even 6.04 onto the Magic? Cheers.

Hi Wklie, I did what you said it still did not work on the Magic. I reset to factory defaults and tried again, failed. It sees it in System Info but nowhere else, and wont format it. :hmm:

Is it worth re-installing firmware 6.06 or even 6.04 onto the Magic? Cheers.

Do you remember which error code Magic TV report when formatting it?

Which Windows did you use? Windows 7?

Please confirm that the procedure you used is the same as this one with everything set to default:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/format-hard-drive-windows-7.htm

Any advanced feature like Compression will definitely NOT work. I always do Quick Format though.

Several things to try:

- Assign a drive letter to the NTFS and make sure you can read/write it from within Windows

- Try both USB ports of the Magic TV (occasionally it makes a difference)

- Try a different USB cable

- Try to power cycle the Magic TV with the USB HDD disconnected. Plug in the USB HDD only after the Magic TV has been up and running.

- Make it MBR and make a 2TB NTFS partition (this way it should work with even the old 5.x firmware)

Reinstalling firmware and factory reset it does no harm, but I don't think it helps.

catnap, please let me know the exact model of your WD 3TB. Preferably with a link to a photo or online retailer showing the packaging box of it.