Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,051 posts in this topic

I'm afraid the later - pretty depressing as I really enjoyed my Magic. If anyone can give me advice re: repairs in Perth I'd be very grateful...

Is the new power supply you purchased rated at 12V 4A or above? Does the front panel show anything? Does the TV detect any signal from the PVR, via HDMI or composite? Does any light flash in the network port at the instant your power it on? Do you hear or feel the vibration from the HDD spinning up?

Please try the followings:

- If the power supply you bought needs a power cord, try a different power cord as well (perhaps from a PC or monitor, or even some TV sets)

- With the power disconnected, open up the Magic TV, and remove the cable(s) between the HDD and the mainboard.

Edited by wklie

I'm afraid the later - pretty depressing as I really enjoyed my Magic. If anyone can give me advice re: repairs in Perth I'd be very grateful...

Cheers

Hopefully it something simple and requires a quick fix.

O.K. found this in the Topfield forums and he is on here sometimes under the name 'warkus' might be worth while sending a PM

No affiliation but has a good reputation. "Mark Warkus, see the Topfield or Beyonwiz forums (and maybe here somewhere). He is in Perth and repairs PVRs at a very reasonable price. " http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showuser=55615

Another place that fixes Topfields may also be of help if you can't get a hold of Mark

http://above.net.au/...ove-and-beyond/ also no affiliation.

Good luck I know I would be lost without my Magic.

Edited by mwd

Is the new power supply you purchased rated at 12V 4A or above?

Hi, the new power brick is 12v 4A. In fact, the original still testing 12V but I thought (hoped) the power is 'dirty' (happened to me before with a modem). So power brick side is tested OK.

Does the front panel show anything? Does the TV detect any signal from the PVR, via HDMI or composite? Does any light flash in the network port at the instant your power it on? Do you hear or feel the vibration from the HDD spinning up?

All A in the negative: as per my original post, the PVR is 'dead' ie nothing on the display and it's completely silent. One thing I have noticed now, when 'testing' disconnecting HD as per your suggestion, is that one of the tiny capacitors ( C8 ) near the power in (and HD) is completely blown (practically gone) - so I think it must have been power 'surge'. I suspected as much initially but somehow assumed that any 'surge' would be 'caught' in the power brick itself.

Any suggestion on repairs in Perth?

Thanks,

delphi

Edited by delphi

Hopefully it something simple and requires a quick fix.

Good luck I know I would be lost without my Magic.

Thanks a lot - will try if I can't find Magic specific repair service,

delphi

I doubt you will be able to find a Magic specific repairer in your area. If it just a few components that have failed it should be pretty easy for any electronic engineer to fix. I would approach Mark Warkus as first port of call and work from there.

Most of these guys will be familiar with Capacitor blowouts as it is quite common with older and not so old Toppys.

Edited by mwd

is that one of the tiny capacitors ( C8 ) near the power in (and HD) is completely blown (practically gone) - so I think it must have been power 'surge'. I suspected as much initially but somehow assumed that any 'surge' would be 'caught' in the power brick itself.

Any suggestion on repairs in Perth?

Officially, I can only tell you to contact our distributor.

There should not be any component at C8. However, if you can take a (reasonably sharp) photo of the section of the mainboard that shows the blown component, I can ask our technicians for advice, which may help if you can get someone with soldering skills to fix it.

Officially, I can only tell you to contact our distributor.

There should not be any component at C8. However, if you can take a (reasonably sharp) photo of the section of the mainboard that shows the blown component, I can ask our technicians for advice, which may help if you can get someone with soldering skills to fix it.

Here's the photo with blown (?) C8:

post-14002-0-59246000-1378733622_thumb.j

Thanks,

delphi

Edited by delphi

Here's the photo with blown (?) C8:

I've asked our hardware engineer and technicians, and here's what I've got.

Since our current productions do not have C8 installed, this is a failure that we have not seen before. At C8 we can "mount 10nF, 100nF, or no component". "Just make sure it is not short circuited."

Also need to check L1 and L2 - one is located near the power connector, the other is on the backside, as well as the DC-DC power ICs.

I've asked our hardware engineer and technicians, and here's what I've got.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Most of these guys will be familiar with Capacitor blowouts as it is quite common with older and not so old Toppys. I would approach Mark Warkus as first port of call and work from there

Yes, those would probably be the EC ones failing over time and quite easy to fix - done it myself on my Digicrystal PVR a few years back. In the case of my Magic - we're dealing with SMDs and possibility of a few elements failing due to power surge so probably not as easy. Still, thanks very much for the info, could be very useful.

Delphi, was it a brand new unit or a reconditioned one when you bought it?

Recon unit from dealspace - had it for around 1.5y without any problems whatsoever. I don't believe it's an intrinsic fault just a 'bad luck' with a power surge - a reminder to have a 'protected' power board for all your valuable electronic equipment...

Edited by delphi

Also need to check L1 and L2 - one is located near the power connector, the other is on the backside.

"L1,L2 we here mount a 120 Ohm/100MHz bead, for repair, you may just mount a 1206,0R resister"

"L1,L2 we here mount a 120 Ohm/100MHz bead, for repair, you may just mount a 1206,0R resister"

Thankyou - I guess the DC-DC power ICs you mentioned would be the main worry...

Just wondering if my Magic tuner has died - first ABC disappeared and now no channels showing. A factory reset temporarily found them again, but all disappeared in about 2 minutes. 2nd factory reset found nothing. No problem with aerial connection - passthrough to another device (beyonwiz) working OK. All previous recordings still visible, so probably not hard disk. Firmware = MTV4000TD 5.08AU.

Any ideas?

What is the PQ like on one of these compared to a Beyonwiz?

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn here as I have not used a Beyondwiz BUT I've used heaps of other STBs & PVRs and, IMHO, the PQ depends more on the display than the STB/PVR. I've never seen bad PQ even from the cheapest STB so I feel anyone can have confidence about it with anything on the market. Where they differ is in functionality and it is here the MAGIC shines. It is head and shoulders above anything else I've experienced.

John

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn here as I have not used a Beyondwiz BUT I've used heaps of other STBs & PVRs and, IMHO, the PQ depends more on the display than the STB/PVR. I've never seen bad PQ even from the cheapest STB so I feel anyone can have confidence about it with anything on the market. Where they differ is in functionality and it is here the MAGIC shines. It is head and shoulders above anything else I've experienced.

John

I find the PQ of the TV tuner in my Samsung LCD gives a far better picture than the Beyonwiz.

I find the PQ of the TV tuner in my Samsung LCD gives a far better picture than the Beyonwiz.

That's just because the tuner in the Samsung is or is not using the scaler in the display. Switch the Beyonwiz to 720p or 1080p or 1080i to see the same effect - if you've got it set to 1080p, then the de-interlacing and scaling is happening in the PVR. If you have it set to 720p then the scaling will happen within the TV, but the deinterlacing will happen within the Beyonwiz for 1080i channels, etc. etc.

If possible, set the Beyonwiz to the "natural" resolution of the screen (e.g. 1080i if the screen is 1080lines). Then scaling/deinterlacing should happen the minimum number of times.

The Beyonwiz doesn't have a setting to allow the output resolution/interlacing to be the same as the broadcast, so it's not possible to only use the TV's scaling/deinterlacing for every service.

Beyonwiz is already set to 1080i. Goes through Onyo Amp. If I set the Amp to 1080p or just on through the Beyonwiz PQ is still nowhere near as good as the Samsung's inbuilt tuner.

Beyonwiz is already set to 1080i. Goes through Onyo Amp. If I set the Amp to 1080p or just on through the Beyonwiz PQ is still nowhere near as good as the Samsung's inbuilt tuner.

"Good" in which way? Sharper, more detail, better color, higher contrast, less compression artifacts, or less deinterlacing artifacts?

I would say the PQ on my Magic is superior in all respects to the inbuilt tuner in my Pioneer LX608. The Pioneer tuner is a bit of a dog though and takes at least a second to change channel. My Magic is set to 1080P and even SD channels look really good.

I would say the PQ on my Magic is superior in all respects to the inbuilt tuner in my Pioneer LX608. The Pioneer tuner is a bit of a dog though and takes at least a second to change channel. My Magic is set to 1080P and even SD channels look really good.

I have a similar experience. My Magic PVR is outputting at 1080p. The picture appears smoother (better deinterlacing?) than 1080i stations viewed on my TCL L42E5300F, and the SD channels are much, much better. Much sharper, less jaggies & blocks. Just a lot easier to watch.