Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,051 posts in this topic

Just noticed SBS 4 LCN 34 ( North Queensland ) has automatically changed to NITV which starts broadcasting in December. No adjustments required.

Anyone else have the problem with the remote control becoming very sluggish when navigating the menus? Sometimes its OK, then other times can continue hitting buttons for 5-10 secs before anything happens. This is predominately the arrow keys and the OK and play keys.When using the change channel,volume or skip keys, its fine, just a problem navigating menus. Bought a new remote from Dealspace for $75 but same on that. Any ideas?

Anyone else have the problem with the remote control becoming very sluggish when navigating the menus? Sometimes its OK, then other times can continue hitting buttons for 5-10 secs before anything happens. This is predominately the arrow keys and the OK and play keys.When using the change channel,volume or skip keys, its fine, just a problem navigating menus. Bought a new remote from Dealspace for $75 but same on that. Any ideas?

Suggestions:

1. Turn off Settings -> Timeshift -> Instant Rewind

2. Perform Settings -> Recording -> Advanced -> Check System HDD

I get it very occasionally but usually when calling up the EPG. The Magic Front panel says Program Guide but nothing shows up on the TV. It can take upto a few minutes for it to appear. Nothing that I worry about it is like a Computer that is overloaded with apps and goes slow.

PS I have timeshift enabled. ( which I find is a very useful feature ).

Edited by mwd

Stating the bleeding obvious - checked your batteries?

Edited by kiwigene

For the few Freeview EPG MTV3700 firmware users here to try out:

http://www.magictv.c...3700_4_51AU.zip

Firmware date: 2012-12-5

This is not a beta, but this is NOT YET an official firmware.

Change list:

- Attempt to fix broken Freeview series links if they skip over a week

- When set to Magic TV EPG, workaround Golden West Network bug of wrong EIT_schedule_flag and EIT_present_following_flag causing no EPG display

Reports of whether it helps with "Freeview series links that skip over a week" are most appreciated.

Edited by wklie

Suggestions:

1. Turn off Settings -> Timeshift -> Instant Rewind

2. Perform Settings -> Recording -> Advanced -> Check System HDD

Tried both those and the batteries had been changed but no effect. Only happens when scrolling thru recorded list so wondering if the more you have on your hdd, the slower it gets?

Tried both those and the batteries had been changed but no effect. Only happens when scrolling thru recorded list so wondering if the more you have on your hdd, the slower it gets?

I thought you were saying about slow scrolling through menus? Slow scrolling only through Recorded Programme List would be a different problem.

If you have a lot of recorded programmes, yes it can get slower, but primarily the time needed to bring up the Recorded Programme List would largely increase.

1. If you're using 6.x firmware and turned on Use Network HDD function, disable it.

2. Standby the Magic TV

3. If you have USB HDD, disconnect them

4. Power cycle the Magic TV using the rear power switch

See if it still behaves the same.

How many recorded programmes do you have, counting all HDD ?

My harddrive is just about full now but have not noticed any slowing when scrolling through the list.

Hope you can get a refund on your extra remote $75.00 is a bit steep you could get a high range Harmony for that kind of money.

Battery life should be very good on the Magic seeing as it uses 4 batteries.

I am still using 5.10 firmware because I like it and it does everything I want.

Edited by mwd

1. If you're using 6.x firmware and turned on Use Network HDD function, disable it.

2. Standby the Magic TV

3. If you have USB HDD, disconnect them

4. Power cycle the Magic TV using the rear power switch

See if it still behaves the same.

How many recorded programmes do you have, counting all HDD ?

1. still using the 5.10 firmware

2.Always put it in standby every night

3.Did that but no difference

4.When I did that seemed to be better but then after a while reverted.

Have 187 recordings on hdd,slowly copying them onto usb hdd to see if that fixes it.

This all seems to be random,sometimes buttons are totally unresponsive, then I'll come back 5 mins later and all fine, maybe some fault in the remote receiver?

Edited by gawaterman

I'll throw out the suggestion that it might be caused by Infra Red interference... might-be...

My tests would advise to try turning off lights, not using any other remotes, and putting some sort of screen between your magic box and your tv. This will prevent any possible IR that might be emitted from your tv from interferring with your remote control commands. My idea of a screen would be something like a coffee table book that sits ontop of the magic box and extends past the front about 4-5 inches, to act as an 'awning' to prevent stray infrared from reaching the sensor. When I used to install hifi gear back 6-12 years ago, we would occasionally see some TVs and dimming lights that emitted a high amount of infrared. When the hifi equipment was placed on shelves near the tv or light with the sensors in areas that would get lots of direct or reflected infrared light, the hifi equipment would respond erratically to the commands of their own remotes. As soon as we placed the equipment in locations that prevented the stray infrared then they would go back to being completely normal.

Have 187 recordings on hdd,slowly copying them onto usb hdd to see if that fixes it.

That's a low number. It does not slow down Recorded Programme List.

Does the problem appear with all menus + Recorded Programme List + To-Do list, or just the Recorded Programme List only?

Edited by wklie

Anyone else have the problem with the remote control becoming very sluggish when navigating the menus? Sometimes its OK, then other times can continue hitting buttons for 5-10 secs before anything happens. This is predominately the arrow keys and the OK and play keys.

Had what sounds like exactly the same problem 6 months ago with one of my Magic's when the drive got to around 2/3 full.

I had my trash set to "keep forever" and it had a heap of recordings piled up in it. I thought maybe these had filled the disc to full capacity and may have something to do with slowing it down.

I emptied the trash and also installed a firmware update that wklie had just posted.

I don't know whether it was emptying the trash, the firmware update, a combination of both, or just luck, but the problem stopped occurring and hasn't returned since.

I had my trash set to "keep forever" and it had a heap of recordings piled up in it. I thought maybe these had filled the disc to full capacity and may have something to do with slowing it down.

Yes, keeping HDD full of trash does slow things down. Manually emptying trash is highly recommended.

Yes, keeping HDD full of trash does slow things down.

Depends on the file system. It'd have to be spectacularly bad for performance problems to kick in at the 2/3 full that thebeerpig talks about.

What file system does the Magic use on its recording disk?

Edited by prl

What file system does the Magic use on its recording disk?

ext3 on system disk. It'll also record to 3.5" USB HDD formatted as NTFS/ext2/ext3. (FAT too but it brings many problems.)

Edited by wklie

Just out of interest, is there some sort of scheduled automatic disk defragmenting of the internal drive, or is this not really needed, as long as you empty the trash?

Depends on the file system. It'd have to be spectacularly bad for performance problems to kick in at the 2/3 full that thebeerpig talks about.

The 2/3rds full I mentioned was actually the recordings I hadn't watched yet. The other 1/3rd of the drive was taken up with trash. I think my Magic was having to delete some trash every time I made a recording so there was somewhere to put it.

OK, but ext3 should deal reasonably well with a full HDD. And it shouldn't need any defragmenting.

Defragmenting tools have never gained much traction in the U*ix world (ext3 is a Linux FS), generally because they were found to give little benefit. Even back to Sixth Edition Unix (released 1975).

When people did want to defragment heavily-used, relatively static partitions, like the root partition or /usr, it was typically done as a single-user dump/format/restore of the file system, but this was also not commonly done.

This all seems to be random,sometimes buttons are totally unresponsive, then I'll come back 5 mins later and all fine, maybe some fault in the remote receiver?

Just another comment on your problem.

When my Magic was doing the same as you mentioned above, I got the impression the processor in it may have been trying to perform another task as well as operate the user interface.

My single core computer, for instance, stops performing tasks or only does them sometime after each key is pressed while it is doing updates. When the updates finish it functions again at normal speed. Exactly the same symptoms my Magic had .

Wklie would know if this was possible better than me, but could it have a bug where it is, say, trying to do things on the internet on and off while being used? Or some other task?

Maybe you could try updating to the latest 6.04beta firmware (I’ve been using it since wklie put up the link and it appears bug free) and see if it goes back to performing normally again.

No, not experienced here and it could be the receiver not always detecting the signal.

To eliminate the remote, hold it near a radio and press the buttons. You should hear interference with every press.

It is very rare for an IR receiver to die but it does happen. The other possibility is a dry joint where it is attached to the motherboard board. That would explain erratic behaviour. Dry joints are very easily fixed with a soldering iron and could be worth following up. The next move would be to replace the IR receptor - they are inexpensive but the problem might be to find out exactly which one was used.

We appreciate your frustration but hang in - the solution could end up to be as simple as a dry joint - again rare, but they happen.

John

To eliminate the remote, hold it near a radio and press the buttons. You should hear interference with every press.

Another way of seeing if the remote is working is point it at a digital or phone camera and push the buttons. The infared light will show up as normal light on the LCD viewfinder.

Update:Have been following the suggestions and experimenting.

I always empty trash so its not that.

Seems to happen only when navigating the Recorded Programme List, everywhere else is fine so probably eliminates faulty remote or receiver.

Not hooked up to the net but might try new firmware or even revert cos cant quite remember when it started.

Tried shielding the Magic from the TV and thought that had fixed it, but that must have been a fluke cos later started doing it again

Seems to happen only when navigating the Recorded Programme List, everywhere else is fine so probably eliminates faulty remote or receiver.

Not hooked up to the net but might try new firmware or even revert cos cant quite remember when it started.

Throughout 5.x firmware releases there is no change to the Recorded Programme List or the file structure part of the firmware, so changing firmware is unlikely to make a difference.

SInce you have a USB HDD, please try to copy all programmes from System HDD to USB HDD (this will take a REALLY long time). Then format the system HDD.

I suspect your system HDD has bad sectors, but other than taking it out and having it checked in PC, there's no easy way to confirm it.

Edited by wklie

What about The Check and Repair HDD in Settings>Recording Setup>Advanced.

You should really backup any files you want to keep though before trying this.