Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlueDusk

Clean watermark Removal (No Interpolation Needed)

55 posts in this topic

Edit: Included 9&10 watermark files. 10 file courtesy 'nexx' [Ask me if you want it removed.]

Removing the 7/9/10 Watermark Using VirtualDub - A HOWTO Guide

Once again, with the numerous forums at DTVFORUM I'm not sure if this is the right one to post it in, feel free to move. :P

This post features info and files on how to remove the CH7/9/10 watermark through VirtualDub hopefully it'll work for you guys as well as it does for me. :blink:

WATERMARK REMOVER BUNDLE v2.0
================================

This contains a bundle of files which'll work together to effectively eliminate the 7/9/10 digital watermarks. They have been tested to work for the watermark in Sydney, feedback on whether it'll work in other cities would be apperciated. VirtualDub (a version capable of opening MPEG2) is the only prerequisite.

Steps to removing the CH7/9/10 Watermark

1/ Extract Contents of ZIP file into directory of your choice
2/ Place Xlogo04.vdf into the "plugins" folder of your VirtualDub installation.
3/ Load up VirtualDub with the MPEG file you wish to remove the watermark on.
4/ Goto Video>Filters>Add...>X-Logo (0.4.1)
5/ In the X-Logo give it the path to the bitmap file in this ZIP in the 'Logo Bitmap(s)' section
6/ Drag the Interpolation bar to 255 (No Interpolation)
7/ In 'Space and Time' for the 7 Digital watermark POST 2004 Olympics drag the Y bar to equal 465 & X bar to equal 612. For the 9 watermark use Y=486 & X=532 and for the Ten Watermark use X=126 & Y=457
8/ Click 'Zero' in 'Gradient/Blur Control'
9/ Click OK until you get back to the main VDub window, the output preview should now be watermark free. :)
10/ Apply whatever else you want to do (eg compression options, resizing, etc)

FILE: http://users.bigpond.net.au/wyp/wmaway.zip

If you have tested it please reply as to whether it worked or not.

Winston,

You realise that removing the logos will only make the networks put in even bigger more objectionable ones that are harder to move. How many people want an ANIMATED logo? :blink:

You realise that removing the logos will only make the networks put in even bigger more objectionable ones that are harder to move.  How many people want an ANIMATED logo?  :blink:

Its already happening, 7's jumping up logo to add the watermark, and lets face it, all those banner ads. I don't know why, but for some reason ppl seam to watch all this "reality crap" like the x factor, etc, etc. I have no doubt if it wasn't for that, total ratings would be down the tube. In the end it starts to become very easy to remove it all, just stop watching, if it really matters, wait for discount DVD's to come out.

Here you go Bacco:

http://img27.exs.cx/img27/6706/7before.jpg http://img27.exs.cx/img27/2341/7after.jpg

Two more:

http://img27.exs.cx/img27/8886/before3.jpg http://img27.exs.cx/img27/166/after3.jpg

I'll make the files to remove the Nine watermark if someone requests them. :blink:

Now if only this could be done through a DirectShow filter :P.

Nice guide. What happened to 8 Simple Rules on Seven anyway? One minute it's there, the next it's gone.

Edit: Added the 9 & 10 black screen watermark files soo you can now remove them too. :blink: 10 bitmap courtesy 'Nexx', msg me if you want it removed.

Co-ordinates

7 Y=465 X=612

9 Y=486 X=532

10 X=126 Y=457

If someone would care to make an ABC watermark removal file here are the instructions for making the file for transparent & coloured watermarks:

1. Make screencaps of the logo on a black and a white background.
2. Crop to just the area of the logo, leaving about 10 pixels around the edge. Be sure to crop the white one in exactly the same spot and the same size.
3. On the black bitmap find the average value of black. Use the pencil tool to set all of the non-logo portion to this color, being careful not to touch any of the logo itself. The most important thing is to be sure all of the very edge of the bitmap is set to the background color.
4. [Optional] Make a copy of the black bitmap. Perform the directions for opague logos to the right. If you don't do this then the filter will just use the black bitmap for interpolation as well as for the transparent processing. If the logo has areas that are close to the background color, then it is a good idea to do this step. 
5.Filename Format: The filter uses a specific filenaming convention to tell what type of processing you want to do. The black bitmap should end in 0.bmp, the white bitmap should end in 1.bmp, and the opague bitmap should end in 2.bmp. Optionally, you can include the (x,y) position you did the cropping at so the filter will automatically set them for you. Use the format _x_X_y_Y_ where X,Y are (x,y). All bitmaps should be saved as 24 bit RGB. So you should now have: (* = optional)
[name]_x_X_y_Y_0.bmp
[name]_x_X_y_Y_1.bmp
[name]_x_X_y_Y_2.bmp*

The info for opaque from step four: "Perform the directions for opague logos to the right. " is below:

Choose two colors, one to be the background and one to be the logo - I use black and white but they can be anything. Set all of the non-logo area to the background color, then the logo to the logo color. You can make the logo a little bit bigger to be safe, but don't get carried away - you can always come back later and tweak it. Be sure you include any areas that have compression artifacts or ghosting as logo area. The most important thing is to be sure all of the very edge of the bitmap is set to the background color. The filter will throw an error when you try to process the first frame if there isn't a complete border around the bitmap.

anyone got abc normal watermark as im bout to record a show in hour and want to get rid of the watermark.

Been recording Doctor Who on the ABC, but have only now struck the watermark problem (previous stories which had the watermark on, here in Perth, are on official DVD).

Does anyone here have the current release of x-logo, as the official address cannot be accessed?

I tried the ABC bitmap earlier, but adjusted the settings to y=525 & x=473, as the episodes I speak of are not letterboxed (it would be so much easier if ABC put the logo in the black area, like 7 do).

Is x-logo the best to use, or Delogo? I found that using x-logo, even though the ABC watermark was hidden as such, there was an impression of it still there. Is there any other settings I can adjust on x-logo, to make it less obvious the ABC logo was there, or if the area covered should be more than just the shape of the logo or not?

I also have some 4:3 recordings from UKTV, anyone have any settings I can use for them?

Finally, since it appears I need to convert what are MPEG2 files to AVI, after applying filters, can someone recommend an easy way to convert a programme that is 25 minutes long (how much HDD space should I need)?

at the risk of this being a super-st00pid question;

is this "watermark removal" for the removal of the watermark from a pre-recorded sample of video (ie, I record a TV show, and then remove the watermark after the fact), or can this watermark-removal work on-the-fly to "mystically" remove the water mark from a live broadcast

on-the-fly removal would be way cool! well, even after-the-fact removal is way cool :blink:

cheers :P

Well, in my case I remove it from a recorded and transfered .rec file to the PC during re-encoding process.

I guess if you could find a playback software on the PC, taking input from a toppy/stb or tuner card that would run the filter in real-time, then you could do it while watching, but I've not bothered trying yet.

Or maybe even a TAP for the toppy, but I doubt the API would be up for it. Add to that you would need to keep 'changing' it as you switch stations and the like.

Personally, I only use it to remove from one recording 'set', anything else that I really want that bad, I'll just wait for DVD's, which isn't an option on what I do remove the watermark from.

So, with the new general use of the 3D, 2 tone ABC watermark, has anyone yet been able to create a working "black" and "white" version for x-logo?

If so, any chance of sharing, I would really love a copy, the sooner the better :blink:

You realise that removing the logos will only make the networks put in even bigger more objectionable ones that are harder to move.  How many people want an ANIMATED logo?  :blink:

I agree, ABC had a 'glass' type low impact logo a while back which did not mind. Now they have a fatter opaque logo that I am sure is there due to this kind of thing.

I agree, ABC had a 'glass' type low impact logo a while back which did not mind. Now they have a fatter opaque logo that I am sure is there due to this kind of thing.

nahhh, that actually implies that management have any idea about technology, which they don't (see ABC HD for proof of that!!).

Besides, since the flat one showed up on the 1 show I care about, I've not really said anything (emailed or phone to complain), I've just removed it.

PS. If it really gets just so annoying, then I'll just download watermark free captures anyway and totally stop watching the ABC.

Well, looks like I'm going to answer my own call for help.

The zip file has both a "black" and a "white" bmp for the new logo on the ABC. While you can get away with just the black one, in bright areas, etc, having the white one as well helps even more.

Of course if someone manages to capture any versions better, then please share.

newABC-images