jsmith

Oled

1,556 posts in this topic

Burn in and image retention issues vary a lot between sets and users, some have problems and others never do.
My Plasma has 3300 hours up and no burn it, even though most of those hours where clocked up displaying the ABC news with its fixed logo and ticker bare. I did notice a little negative burn in (the opposite of burn in) on the left edge of the ticker which is always black and got far less use then the rest of the screen, but it sorted its self out with time and I dont expect it to return now that the set is fully run in.
A friend of mine has a 60" F8500 and watches Foxtel sport regularly with no problem, and the other 5 Plasma TV's have I have had regular contact with had no burn in issues either.

I'm with you Owen.
Still running my Kuro LX60 and still appreciating it everyday. Over 8 years old and the best tech toy I ever bought. Not one piece of tech I've bought in 10 years is still holding its own, and beating most newcomers, after 8 years.
Recently had it calibrated again due to upgrading inputs and still hit all its targets.
No Burn in, and I watch a lot of Foxtel sport, no flicker, no buzz.
Any input is watchable, the better the input, the better it looks.
Mostly watch it with dimmed lighting, but for movies watch it with all lights out. It's an awesome all rounder.
I'd like a larger screen and 4K, but still be be convinced that OLED can do it ALL as well as my rusty old Kuro.
When it dies, there will be tears.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jsmith said:

I think what some get annoyed about is you continue to [email protected] over OLED... yet you give no real world reasons apart from some comparison in a bright store.

I told you the store WAS NOT BRIGHT, nor did the ambient lighting have a significant effect on its relative performance against a base model LCD which was dimmer.

I have seen OLED in other locations as well, also not bright. Even in moderate lighting OLED is matched or bettered by a modest LCD.

OLED is all about dark room performance but still has uniformity and banding issues that adversely affect its performance.

12 minutes ago, jsmith said:

OLED is amazing technology, so why not show some appreciation! :P

 

OLED has best blacks, other than that its nothing special so "amazing" its not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Owen said:

Its very much alive and kicking here mate, and I expect it will be for years to come.;)

 

Mine's not. It wont turn on again.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested the 2017 LG OLED and the 2017 Samsung Qled in a bright showroom 3 days ago with my own test slides and assorted HD/UHD content.What i found was that the LG had improved from last years model to become near perfection.The Samsung had backlight issues that looked worse than last years model.To me what i saw with my own eyes with QLED tells me that if plasma is dead then LCD is a dead man walking because OLED is about the become king of the world.

Edited by IviewHD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

I tested the 2017 LG OLED and the 2017 Samsung Qled in a bright showroom 3 days ago with my own test slides and assorted HD/UHD content.What i found was that the LG had improved from last years model to become near perfection.

Great, you actually did some tests rather than an idle comparison... cheers for the info. :)

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apropos of banding and how Pana will be addressing their LG panels ; consider as well this is with the step down model not the 1000 B) Apologies for the probable reposting ..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully OLED can keep improving and the prices drop to more reasonable levels. The last of the Plasma's were unbelievable value for the performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IviewHD said:

I tested the 2017 LG OLED and the 2017 Samsung Qled in a bright showroom 3 days ago with my own test slides and assorted HD/UHD content.What i found was that the LG had improved from last years model to become near perfection.The Samsung had backlight issues that looked worse than last years model.To me what i saw with my own eyes with QLED tells me that if plasma is dead then LCD is a dead man walking because OLED is about the become king of the world.

They will be king when you can buy a LG 85 inch one for $13,500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Owen said:

Burn in and image retention issues vary a lot between sets and users, some have problems and others never do.

My Plasma has 3300 hours up and no burn it, even though most of those hours where clocked up displaying the ABC news with its fixed logo and ticker bare. I did notice a little negative burn in (the opposite of burn in) on the left edge of the ticker which is always black and got far less use then the rest of the screen, but it sorted its self out with time and I dont expect it to return now that the set is fully run in.

A friend of mine has a 60" F8500 and watches Foxtel sport regularly with no problem, and the other 5 Plasma TV's have I have had regular contact with had no burn in issues either.

I don't believe your last model VT could function watching FOXTEL sports without permanent burn in.
I remember one being destroyed in my local JB HIFI shop when the manager left a static signal on overnight; of course all of the LCDs were fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, IviewHD said:

I tested the 2017 LG OLED and the 2017 Samsung Qled in a bright showroom 3 days ago with my own test slides and assorted HD/UHD content.What i found was that the LG had improved from last years model to become near perfection.The Samsung had backlight issues that looked worse than last years model.To me what i saw with my own eyes with QLED tells me that if plasma is dead then LCD is a dead man walking because OLED is about the become king of the world.

OLED has killed off LCD with high priced smart phones and tablets; TV's will be next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackman said:

They will be king when you can buy a LG 85 inch one for $13,500

Going to be a good few years down the road as the biggest OLED screen they have managed to date is 77" and the Sony A1 will be more than $40,000 

Going to be many years before OLED TVs can be competitive on price with the large 75" +  LCDs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, shankman said:

Where are you getting this price from?

Educated guess considering a LG G7 is $40K and the Sony A1 is considered to be better so will not be cheaper. 

Quote:  77" G7 is $40,000. Saw one at Moore Park today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mwd said:

Educated guess considering a LG G7 is $40K and the Sony A1 is considered to be better so will not be cheaper. 

Quote:  77" G7 is $40,000. Saw one at Moore Park today.

That's interesting. They don't have a 77 inch model up on their AU site yet. No price in UK or US yet either, so one being in Moore Park is surprising.

Which shop? - I want to go check it out.

Last year's G6 77 was $20k USD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jsmith said:

Great, you actually did some tests rather than an idle comparison... cheers for the info.

The issues I mention that affect LG's OLED have been noted by reviewers, calibrators and owners. They must all be mistaken.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Satanica said:

I don't believe your last model VT could function watching FOXTEL sports without permanent burn in.

Since I dont have Foxtel sport I will never know, or care. I dont have any burn in now, and at this stage in the panels life I'm quite sure I never will.

My mate with the F8500 watches Foxtel sport for 6 or more hours at a time with no problems.

8 hours ago, Satanica said:

I remember one being destroyed in my local JB HIFI shop when the manager left a static signal on overnight; of course all of the LCDs were fine.

Retailers run the panels at maximum output, something I never even get close to, which makes a BIG difference to burn in risk.

If they where stupid enough to leave a bright static image on screen over night with the contrast cranked up they deserve to get burn in.

The VT60 has a timer that can be set to turn the TV off after a specified time, I have it set 3 hours so I dont have to worry about forgetting to turn it off or have a static image up for more than 3 hours. This has been 100% effective so far and no reason to suspect anything will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Owen said:

The issues I mention that affect LG's OLED have been noted by reviewers, calibrators...

Bollocks...

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Owen said:

My mate with the F8500 watches Foxtel sport for 6 or more hours at a time with no problems.

And someone in this thread had image retention for 10 months after a soccer game. At best plasma appears pretty hit and miss, many are seemingly completely incapable of handling Foxtel sport watermarks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2017 at 8:42 PM, cwt said:

 Apologies for the probable reposting ..

I don't recall seeing it before CWT, so thanks for posting it... was a very interesting interview.

5 hours ago, duke said:

Sony

Yep... this first impression is impressive! :)

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Satanica said:

And someone in this thread had image retention for 10 months after a soccer game. At best plasma appears pretty hit and miss, many are seemingly completely incapable of handling Foxtel sport watermarks. 

We have all seen it and spoken to people who have damaged sets... for some to continue on about a dead tech and still trying to convince people burn in isn't an issue, well, it seems pretty lame to me. It's a well documented fact... whereas OLED burn in isn't. :)

JSmith :ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Owen said:

Since I dont have Foxtel sport I will never know, or care. I dont have any burn in now, and at this stage in the panels life I'm quite sure I never will.

My mate with the F8500 watches Foxtel sport for 6 or more hours at a time with no problems.

 

Watching foxtel for six hours is not the issue.It's seeing the logo's like a pair of dog's nuts when i'm watching something else that i find offensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Owen said:

The issues I mention that affect LG's OLED have been noted by reviewers, calibrators and owners. They must all be mistaken.

 

Plasma TV had a myriad of issues when it first came out that gradually got adressed with each new generation.My first plasma was a Hitachi and the black level used to go up and down like a yo yo depending on brightness of the image on the screen.Every year LG has improved the technology and we are now at the point that it is so good that other manufactures cannot afford to ignore it for fear of getting left behind in an OLED massacre of LCD.Samsung seem to be the company at most risk with no OLED paddle in the water for the next 12 months so very nervous times for them indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now