Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
diesel

2010 Panasonic Dmr-xw380 And Xw480 Dvd Recorders

396 posts in this topic

The new model Panasonic DVD recorders are now up on their website.

DMR-XW380 - $799

DMR-XW480 - $999

Other than DNLA, SDXC (higher capacity SDHC memory card) slot and possibly newer recording codecs to maximise compression/disk space, there seems to be little difference to last years models.

The XW380 comes with 250GB and the XW480 comes with 500GB. No mention of MPEG4 capable tuners. It only mentions DVB-T, though it does has Mpeg2 and mpeg4 recording capabilities.

I thought this care instruction in the manual was rather novel

Cigarette smoke etc. causes malfunction or breakdown

The unit may breakdown if cigarette smoke or bug spray/ vapor, etc. gets inside the unit.

The DNLA function seems like a good step towards networking these recorders, though it might be hobbled and not really a good media player alternative. I think it's more designed to be a server rather than a player. I am keen to here new owners experiences with this feature.

• You cannot playback the titles on other DLNA compatible equipment from this unit.
  • Files not on the HDD cannot be played back.
  • Music cannot be played back.
  • Editing is not possible. (Only delete can be performed from Panasonic equipment)
  • Programme being recorded cannot be played back.
  • Playback via DLNA compatible equipment cannot be done when this unit is in the following conditions:
  • –– While simultaneously recording 2 programmes
  • –- While playing back a disc
  • –– While simultaneously performing High speed copy and recording
  • –- While displaying the Setup menu
  • –– While executing functions using a network, such as "VIERA CAST"
  • There may be some video that cannot be played back on DLNA compatible equipment depending on the equipment.
  • You cannot playback simultaneously from 2 or more items of DLNA compatible equipment.

An interesting feature is the ability to convert DR recordings I presume to smaller file sizes. This can be done straight away or when the unit is in standby (eg overnight). Not sure if this was present in the older models.

The remote also has dedicated skip buttons;

• +60secs
  • -10secs

A move in the right direction.

Edited by diesel

Are they in the shops yet? I am going shopping in the next day or two as to look out for recorders like that.

By the look of the new releases, they look the same and the specs seem to be the same except for the 'DLNA function'.

Anyway, I'll let everyone know if they're at JB, DSE or at any store I can find them.

Thanks diesel

Edited by john-andrew

Are they in the shops yet? I am going shopping in the next day or two as to look out for recorders like that.

By the look of the new releases, they look the same and the specs seem to be the same except for the 'DLNA function'.

Anyway, I'll let everyone know if they're at JB, DSE or at any store I can find them.

Thanks diesel

Yes seen them in myer and goodguys here in perth.

Yeah, the XW380 and BW780 were both advertised in the local Good Guys catalogue here in Sydney over the weekend

Yeah, the XW380 and BW780 were both advertised in the local Good Guys catalogue here in Sydney over the weekend

They're near me and I have a look. Thank Diesel.

The manuals for the DMR-XW380/480 and the DMR-BW780/880 are now able to be downloaded from Panasonic Aust's site under Support.

Garry.

An interesting feature is the ability to convert DR recordings I presume to smaller file sizes. This can be done straight away or when the unit is in standby (eg overnight). Not sure if this was present in the older models.

The remote also has dedicated skip buttons;

• +60secs
  • -10secs

Yes, the ability to compress DR recordings by converting to other formats is present on the XW350/450.

The addition of the -10sec skip button is a good one. Again, the +60sec skip is not new to these models.

Yes, the ability to compress DR recordings by converting to other formats is present on the XW350/450.
I realise this, sorry my post wasn't clear enough. :blush:

It was the feature to delay the compression to occur when the unit is in standby and no timers firing that I found interesting and asking whether this feature is present on older models.

The local Good Guys store didn't seem to have any yet. Anyway, I thought might have seen the XW380 though?

BTW, there was a Myers brochure in the morning paper showing all the new models.

Edited by john-andrew

It was the feature to delay the compression to occur when the unit is in standby and no timers firing that I found interesting and asking whether this feature is present on older models.

Yes, the delaying until unit is in standby feature is available on the XW350/450. If it hasn't finished and a programmed recording is due to start it will stop to allow the timer recording. It will than start trying to complete the conversion again when the unit returns to standby mode (ie. it starts over).

The DNLA function seems like a good step towards networking these recorders, though it might be hobbled

Was hoping for a bit more from this feature. Will still get it anyway, soon-ish. (Well, actually a bw880)

BTW, there was a Myers brochure in the morning paper showing all the new models.
Here's the link to their catalogue - page 2

Here's the link to their catalogue - page 2

Yep, thats the one inside the 'Daily Telegraph'. Anyway, there's no local store near me and the closest is at Liverpool.

Edited by john-andrew

Bloody Hell!

That's a good price for a new release.

I see they're not as generous on the XW480 $999 reduced to $921 :(

Does anyone know if these HDD/DVD records will record off Austar/Foxtel? as well as Free to air TV?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if these HDD/DVD records will record off Austar/Foxtel? as well as Free to air TV?

Thanks!

Yes they can.They can also record fta and fox at the same time.

Is this it, finally?

An easy to use, well spec'd Panasonic with a user friendly remote.

I've looking at what to get to replace my trusty Phillips VR788 VCR, purchased in 1999 for $520, and still going well.

I have read countless reviews off HDD/DVD units, but they all seem to have a sting in the tail.

So many technical traps and minefields that could lead to frustrating experiences.

My main concern with other Panasonics is the remote controls, said to be poorly designed and not user-friendly. Otherwise, good units.

The latest Sony's caught my eye, and they are already dropping in price. but once again they seem to be lacking and get average reviews.

I depend heavily on reviews to help me decide as the startlingly ignorant sales people are useless, and I find that I invariably know more than they do, which says a lot.

A UK review of the XW380 said it was 'fantastic,' and the remote-"The deck’s remote is excellent, boasting big buttons, clear labelling and a George W. Bush-proof layout. The onscreen menus are uniformly logical and easy on the eyeballs – our only cause for complaint is the cluttered EPG."

So that has put my hopes up.

Will wait now for other reviews, and then retreat to my lair until the price drops a bit.

http://www.callcaffe.com/?p=84

Will wait now for other reviews, and then retreat to my lair until the price drops a bit.

Why not try and pick up a xw-350 cheap as they are runout model and not very different to the xw-380?

The latest Sony's caught my eye, and they are already dropping in price. but once again they seem to be lacking and get average reviews.

IMO, for a very similar price, you get the addition of twin tuners on the Panasonic, plus DNLA. Twin tuners are a must these days with all the extra channels on FTA

Why not try and pick up a xw-350 cheap as they are runout model and not very different to the xw-380?

This is one of the models that has a very unfriendly remote. Apart from that looks very good.

Must be simple, well laid out and logical so that all family members can use it (when I let them).

Is the 350 simple to use for the basic functions?

We don't plan on doing any technical stuff, but will want to upload old tapes and burn DVDs.