:)

Pioneer Pulls The Plugs On Tvs ?

92 posts in this topic

the news story below being reported on avs

http://www.pcworld.com/article/159085/repo...operations.html

Report: Pioneer to Leave TV Market, Spin off DVD Operations

Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

Feb 7, 2009 5:10 am

Pioneer plans to completely pull out of the television market in face of the poor economy, according to a report in Japan's Nikkei newspaper.

The company had already announced plans to end production of plasma display panels but was intending to continue producing TV sets using panels from Panasonic. But the harsh economic conditions have now pushed the company to leave the TV market, the newspaper said in its Saturday morning edition.

The PDP TV market is expected to grow by 5 percent in 2009 to 14.6 million units, according to an estimate from DisplaySearch. That's sharply down from the 24 percent growth experienced in 2008 and is falling because of competition from LCD TVs and fewer PDP TV makers in the market.

Pioneer will also spin off its DVD player business to a new joint venture that will be formed with Sharp, according to the report.

Pioneer is scheduled to report its financial results for the October-to-December quarter on Feb. 12.

now not sure how official that is usually have found some truth in japanese news reports, they not typically sensationalist as some other press.

hoping not true, as was looking forward to the next gen kuro to see what thats like :(

lets hope not the case, and lets also hope they dont hand over ther BD/DVD operations to sharp as well ! :wacko:

guess the feb 12 financial results might have some announcement to clarify..

Wow. After being the leader with the Kuro's their calling it quits. Wow again.

I guess if you want a Kuro you better get in quick (as long as support will remain available).

Maybe Pioneer Australia will drop the RRP on the current 9 Gen to clear them, though I'd doubt it.

Maybe Panasonic should buy the Kuro technology from Pioneer.

Maybe Pioneer will focus on LCD and OLED?

A lot of maybes.

Edited by Spero D.

Wow. After being the leader with the Kuro's their calling it quits. Wow again.

Yes, wow indeed. I assume someone else will pickup the slack.. eventually.. they'll always be a market for this sort of thing.

Did Pioneer priced themselves out of the competition by focusing on a niche market?

Found this table from the US-

Table 1: Plasma Panel Revenue Share and Growth by Supplier

Rank Supplier Q3’08

Share Q4’08, Share Y/Y, Growth

#1 Panasonic 39.8% 49.9% 1%

#2 Samsung SDI 29.4% 26.1% -20%

#3 LGE 1.9% 15.8% -47%

#4 Pioneer 4.7% 4.2% -29%

#5 Hitachi 4.1% 3.9% -50%

#6 Orion 0.1% 0.1% -22%

Total 100.0% 100.0% -21%

Where do we stand in terms of warranty - if mine dies 3 years down the track, I assume I'd get a refund?

From memory I believe by law they are required to offer spare parts and service for 7 years on any products. Best to check with Pioneer Australia.

From memory I believe by law they are required to offer spare parts and service for 7 years on any products. Best to check with Pioneer Australia.

7 years, wow, good to know. I just checked, they're open from 9am on Monday so I'll give them a call then.

Hi

Sad to see if it turns out to be correct,as regulars on the Forum will know many Journos. and 'experts' have been predicting rationalisation in the Plasma/LCD industry but not to this extent,these are hugh Corporations,they usually ride out consumption slumps so i guess they don't see any light at the end of the Tunnel so this Economic crisis must be going to be much worse than people think. These proposed new power consumption targets on consumer goods by the EEC must also be playing a part,Plasma in particular and LCD in general will have trouble meeting tham in the future unless there is a technology break thru.

Did Pioneer priced themselves out of the competition by focusing on a niche market?

NO BY BEING THE LAST MANUFACTURER to stay making TV's in a country with one of the highest input costs in the world

China didnt have a property boom---> soaring wages----> soaring union & transport costs. In China you dont have to pay paid maternity leave, single mothers pension , 10% workcover , 10 % superannuation to every worker you hire.

But hey lets achieve world -leading black levels by subterfuge : we'll slap a tinted layer of plastic on the glass!!! Sure Kuro's look nice at home but in the showroom they look like something from the bottom of the Murray river and its on the showroom the mum's & dad's market decide, not AVS

That's a shame.

I credit Pioneer with their Kuro technology for reinvigourating interest in plasma technology a couple of years back, when LCD was coming up with new technologies in leaps and bounds. Plasma was starting to look like the ark!

Shame to see an industry leader go under. I thought their plans to buy OEM panels from Panasonic would have been enough to stave off the banks and accountants, but I guess the rapidly falling prices of flatscreens is just not sustainable?

Somebody pass me the tissues...

Ok, but this is terrible news for those of us that have either been saving up, or waiting for the 9th gen to come out/stabilise in price. So what do people think:

- buy one quickly

- just buy one if and when you're ready, even if it's 3 months from now

- buy the best alternative

- don't stress, there are several alternatives that are in the pipeline (12 months) that will deliver the same or better black levels for the same or better price points

Damn it, was really looking foward to (and saving up for) a true infinate contrast Pio.

As far as I know the LX509 is still on its way. Myer asked me if I wanted to put one on order just yesterday!

I take it that Pioneer's plans to cease plasma production are many, many months off - as we all know when large corporations are concerned these things always take ages!

Edited by crt4eva

As far as I know the LX509 is still on its way. Myer asked me if I wanted to put one on order just yesterday!

I take it that Pioneer's plans to cease plasma production are many, many months off - as we all know when large corporations are concerned these things always take ages!

It may not take as long as you think.

Still on the way? We (BPP) have had the LX509 for a couple of weeks now.

Very sad news indeed if true.

Still on the way? We (BPP) have had the LX509 for a couple of weeks now.

Yes, it would seem some of your fellow competitors still don't have display models let alone any in stock. I walked into Myer Lonsdale St yesterday and was told they still have them on order.. hence no display model for me to look at.

I assume when they call it quits in tvs they will reduce the price say 10-15% to move stock along.

Manufacturers dont want to hang around when they've made the decision to end a line.

Philips did that when they pulled up stumps.

Of course then you have the hard decision to buy now or forever live without it.

I was a Philips fan and I ended up buying one just so I didnt miss out.

I hope all the Pioneer fans get their piece of the kuro pie.