Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peteru

Toppy file converter

101 posts in this topic

Just a heads up to those interested that I started work on an application that will convert between MPEG-2 transport stream and Topfield TF5000PVRt REC file. It will handle conversion in both directions, not only allowing your PC to play back files recorded on the Toppy, but also to use the Toppy to play back files that came from the PC.

The release is anticipated in early August 2004, assuming I can find enough time to complete the work. The intention is to make the application available free of charge. I will make more information available at a later date. Please do not send me private messages about this project, the time taken to answer them can be better used to finishing the work.

that would be a great Application for all Toppy owners Peteru...We wish you all the best in your endeavor, and am sure many folks will be hanging out for this one.

foss

Don't take this the wrong way, but I almost can't see the point. It takes so long to take things off the toppy, I don't think I could be assed putting things back on. I'd either DVD it. Or play it back via my HTPC or Xbox.

Just my 2cents.

B

It gives you the option of viewing on the big screen if you don't have a PC connected to it. If you have no use or patience for it, then that's fine. I am more motivated by the repeated requests for such a tool, rather than a personal need for such a solution. I figured out that since I have the skills and means of providing the solution, I might as well do it for those who desire it.

It opens up unusual possibilities, many of which are still waiting to be explored. As an example, you could upload an AVI converted to MPEG-2 TS and watch it on a proper HT set up, instead of a PC.

So this is a ProjectX that goes both ways. I suppose the source of projectX could be the basis of it.

An add on that would really make it good would be a tap that disabled all toppy functionality in favour of usb transfer speed. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Pressing the Turbo button in Altair disables all processes that it can to allow for the transfers....but I guess you have tried that.

foss

So this is a ProjectX that goes both ways.

No. It's not a (de)muxer. It allows you to add and remove the Topfield transport stream encapsulation. You still need to use your favourite tool to process the MPEG-2 transport stream.

I am building this from scratch, no third party code so far and no plans to include any at this stage.

Pressing the Turbo button in Altair disables all processes that it can to allow for the transfers....but I guess you have tried that.

Does that button actually make a difference? I haven't noticed any.

No. It's not a (de)muxer. It allows you to add and remove the Topfield transport stream encapsulation. You still need to use your favourite tool to process the MPEG-2 transport stream.

So what file formats will it render acceptable to send to the toppy?

Does that button actually make a difference? I haven't noticed any.

Yes...the transfer speed is nearly doubled if you press the Turbo button before the file transfer, it stops all activity (including RCU activation ) apart from using the box as a STB...cant remember exactly because its a while since I have done it, and also the latest or next latest firmware (or Altair...forget which) makes a difference to what abilities are left running

Once again, someone else who does this regularly will know exactly because as I said its been a while since I touched it...., and of course a USB2 port and a USB2 cable is necessary to get maximum speed for file transfer.

foss

So what file formats will it render acceptable to send to the toppy?

MPEG-2 transport stream. You will need to use something else, such as ProjectX or your DVB-T PCI card/software, to generate an MPEG-2 transport stream.

I'll be absolutely stoked with a converter like this. I have lots of mpegs I'd put onto the Toppy to watch, such as TV eps etc.

I don't have a DVD burner and I'd rather not get one.

This app would make me very happy. :blink::P

I hope you are succesful with this. I would have loved this last week. I had to transfer the last episode or ER to my PC and demux it, as it had suffered from the dreaded nine glitch which causes the sound to drop out. It would have been really nice to have moved it back to the toppy when it was finished. As it was I had to borrow a laptop from work so my wife could watch it on the big screen.

Good luck and may the programming gods be with you.....

IMHO, this is a huge step forward.

With the development of the "TopfHDRead" HDD transfer app ( http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/t...sp?TOPIC_ID=304 ) and being able to virtually frame-serve to/from the Toppy format would make this one very powerful package. :P

I particularly like the idea of having a collection of short shows (cartoons/3 Stooges or whatever) uploaded from my DVD's to the Toppy to play before watching a feature, without having to change DVD's all the time, just like the old days at the cinema.... :blink:

Good luck with your mission, peteru!

I hope you are succesful with this. I would have loved this last week. I had to transfer the last episode or ER to my PC and demux it, as it had suffered from the dreaded nine glitch which causes the sound to drop out. It would have been really nice to have moved it back to the toppy when it was finished. As it was I had to borrow a laptop from work so my wife could watch it on the big screen.

Good luck and may the programming gods be with you.....

Hi I had the nine glitch on ER. My fix was to do a copy on my Toppy. The copy played fine. Can I say I have had my Toppy for two weeks and I love it :blink: , also thanks for some great support and advice in here and the Topfield forum.

An update on the progress:

Going Toppy to MPEG-2 TS is done. I can correctly identify and parse a Topfield .rec file and extract content to MPEG-2 TS file.

The opposite direction is getting closer. I can now take MPEG-2 TS and wrap it up in such a way that the Toppy will recognise it, but it's a very manual process not suitable for public release yet. The "clue required" factor is too high at this point in time. If I did release it, I would spend the rest of my weeks explaining how to use it :blink:

Thats cool to here, I can't wait to give it a test run.

I always thought that maybe some form of field page would be needed, to allow one to enter tuner, description, etc info from a "normal" mpeg file. Unlike converting a TS stream from another DVB recording device, like a Digital PC card, which would already have most of that info.

Anyway, good to here it is progressing and remember my offer to beta test still stands :blink:

Am I missing something here? I thought any old mpeg (usually muxed not seperate files) lying around on a pc was typically program stream not transport. Therefore this application won't render it playable on the toppy. The way I read it ts from other DVB-T recieving equipment (and that alone) will be rendered playable on the toppy. Am I wrong?

If I am right I assume that an mpeg stream recovered from a dvd (say) will require extra manipulation to ts then treatment by this app to achieve toppyness.

Am I missing something here? I thought any old mpeg (usually muxed not seperate files) lying around on a pc was typically program stream not transport. Therefore this application won't render it playable on the toppy. The way I read it ts from other DVB-T recieving equipment (and that alone) will be rendered playable on the toppy. Am I wrong?

If I am right I assume that an mpeg stream recovered from a dvd (say) will require extra manipulation to ts then treatment by this app to achieve toppyness.

Your right and wrong.

Even another DVB-T file is not playable on the Toppy without it having a TF5000PVRt header added to it (aka peter's program). This even applies to an app that added a TF5000 header to a Dreambox file, but it was a header for the sat version, not ours, hence it also didn't work.

As for taking any mpeg stream (say dvd), it would need a two step process, first converted to a TS file (projectx can do this) and then having the toppy header added to it, again peter's little app.

The next step, would be taking say an divx file, encoding it to mpeg (for a one off watch, some apps can do this pretty fast, a cbr encode at like upto 4x speed or faster). Then process that new mpeg to a TS file and then add the Toppy header.

Personally I plan to (have tried) doing all of this, only thing I lack is a working Toppy header app for our machine, so basically I can't wait to try it :blink:

I've hacked Project X to add topfield headers.

But I don't get any audio when I open the vob in project X and select TS.

The video comes across OK.

I will try to convert to vob to mpg first before opening it in project X tomorrow.

Maybe I got the Audio PID wrong.

Some more progress. I implemented a simple MPEG-2 transport stream identifier and parser in the converter. It now correctly recognises TS and extracts the list of all PIDs in it. Association of the PIDs with the Topfield file structure is still manual, but it is reasonably easy to do, now that you can tell what PIDs are available. I am considering an open beta in the next few days.

I can use tzap to record on my Gentoo Linux PC, using a DPandA (aka TechnoTrend budget, aka Nova-t) card, run it through the converter, upload via USB and play on the Toppy. Windows users should be able to do the same with any software that saves transport stream, which I think almost every DVB-T card bundled software can do.

I'll spend a day or two on investigating automatic PID assignment, but if I don't get anywhere, I'll release an open beta with manual PID selection only.

I'll spend a day or two on investigating automatic PID assignment, but if I don't get anywhere, I'll release an open beta with manual PID selection only.

Cool, that will give me something to play with over the weekend, well that and Doom 3 :blink:

Keep up the good work peter.

Peter are you transferring by usb in linux. If so how did you do it.

Audio works, in my hack of projectx, it just that the analog rca's on the back don't appear to work with ac3.

AC3, 2 and 6 channel comes out fine from the optical port.

Projectx creates the ts file with topfield headers from many vobs. Then all I do is to rename the file so it ends in .rec and transfer it.

I've matching up the audio PID's to what projectx changes them too. 80 and 82 work fine, try 87 next to see if it also works. Everything else works well, apart from the analog out.

Does anyone know what format the analog out needs to be in. If the vob needs to be demuxed and remuxed. It would be outside the scope of what I'm tring to do at the moment.

You need the audio as MPEG1 layer2, like the orig DVD and now the DVB-T spec. AC3 is digital output only as you have found (as most SD STBs don't do dolby decoding).

Here is the output from one projectX dump of a channel nine .rec:

--> MPEG Audio (0xC0) on PID 0x2D0

Audio PTS: first packet 06:22:44.874, last packet 06:26:41.946

Video PTS: start 1.GOP 06:22:45.301, end last GOP 06:26:41.861

-> adjusting audio at video-timeline

!> missing syncword @ 0, @ 00:00:00.000

!> found syncword @ 752

=> src_audio: MPEG-1, Layer2, 48000Hz, stereo, 256kbps, CRC @ 00:00:00.000

audio frames: wri/pre/skip/ins/add 9856/0/0/0/0 @ 00:03:56.544 done..

===> new File: D:\storedtoppycaptures2\GETAWAY-1.mp2

--> AC-3/DTS Audio on PID 0x2D1

Audio PTS: first packet 06:22:45.024, last packet 06:26:41.856

Video PTS: start 1.GOP 06:22:45.301, end last GOP 06:26:41.861

-> adjusting audio at video-timeline

!> missing syncword @ 0, @ 00:00:00.000

!> found syncword @ 480

=> src_audio: AC-3, CM, 2/0(2.0), 48000Hz, 192kbps @ 00:00:00.000

Regards

Edited by tonymy01