Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
momaw

Asian Films On Blu-ray

31 posts in this topic

mo, you sure know how to find these little gems. As always, looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you've had the chance to watch it.

mo, you sure know how to find these little gems. As always, looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you've had the chance to watch it.

Yep same here, might have to go on my wish list. :rolleyes:

Is it locked to reg A Mo?

Won't know til I get it, but will be sure to post immediately. Unfortunately that won't be until the week after next as I will be "unavailable" next week.

Won't know til I get it, but will be sure to post immediately. Unfortunately that won't be until the week after next as I will be "unavailable" next week.

Thanks Mo!

BTW, how legit is this store (dddhouse)? Have you bought from them before? How fast is the shipping?

I am interested in getting Red Cliff.

Cheers....

Thanks Mo!

BTW, how legit is this store (dddhouse)? Have you bought from them before? How fast is the shipping?

I am interested in getting Red Cliff.

Cheers....

I bought Infernal Affairs on BD from this mob and they were no hassle at all. Not a tacit approval or recommendation but my experience was good.

I bought Infernal Affairs on BD from this mob and they were no hassle at all. Not a tacit approval or recommendation but my experience was good.

Thanks ajm! Anyone else?

I've bought a number of discs from them. 7-10 days delivery and cheaper than most places. I highly recommend them.

I've bought a number of discs from them. 7-10 days delivery and cheaper than most places. I highly recommend them.

Thanks Mo. I'll order Red Cliff 2morrow - hopefully it's region free as stated! :-)

Thanks Mo. I'll order Red Cliff 2morrow - hopefully it's region free as stated! :-)

My copy of Red Cliff is on it's way from them. I have received from them in the past (promptly and cheaply) The Warlords, Seven Swords, Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon, An Empress and the Warriors, Infernal Affairs 2, Infernal Affairs 3, Invisible Target, Protege (all on blu-ray) and L: Change the World (on DVD). They are now my first choice for supplier of Asian Blu-ray and DVD's. I believe Red Cliff is in the order of $15US cheaper through them than Yesasia.

First up, this title is REGION FREE.

As with the Digitally Remastered version a couple of years back, this pack comes with both movies, Pandora's Box and Cinderella, but does not include the nice hardcover book that came in that pack (which is why I will be keeping my copy of that version). That said, it does come in a lovely gatefold jacket complete with gold colored slip-jacket matching the design of the previously mentioned remastered release.

Picture Quality.

This one is a mixed bag. Both movies are on their own BD25 and while some might find this inadequate, with run times of 88 mins and 100 mins respectively and no PCM audio track, this is more than enough. Some scenes are not very good and exhibit a softness that is a little overpowering and visible film dirt. In reverse, many scenes look fantastic. One has to remember that these films were made in 1994 and most hollywood films of that vintage (without large budgets) suffer with HD transfers, let alone a Chinese film made to a budget. Considering it's age I think it looks pretty darn good.

In comparison to the remastered DVD, this version has brighter colors and more detail. The scenes that suffer in this release are the same scenes that suffered in the DVD release. I can't imagine these films, on this stock looking any better without a major investment of time and money which unfortunately the films don't have the audience for.

Audio.

Unfortunately my Marantz is in for a firmware upgrade so I can't say much about the audio at this stage other than to say it has both Cantonese DTS HD MA and DTHD tracks and a Mandarin DD track.

Subtitles.

These are the same subtitles used in the DVD release which while sometimes being a little clumsy, are adequate to get the main story and dialog across.

Summary.

Is this worth the upgrade from the Remastered DVD? I think so. As a fan of these films, the extra picture quality is an improvement. I am likewise sure the lossless audio will also deliver. The pack is a little pricier than other Hong Kong Blu-rays, but considering you get both films I think it's a bargain.

As a newcomer to these films, the blu-rays at first may seem disappointing, but the story is sure to hook you in with some great comedy and wuxia style kung fu.

I hope they bring out Royal Tramp 1 & 2 sooner rather than later.

Edit: Add pic link

Edited by momaw

The Promise (Wu Ji) a film by Kaige Chen (The Emperor and the Assassin, Farewell My Concubine) is finally getting a Blu-ray release on December 5.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details...mp;LanguageID=0

(note: not an affiliate link)

Another fantastic film released last month is A Battle Of Wits with Andy Lau. Personally I think this is one of Andy Lau's finest period pieces.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details...?ProductID=9028

(again not an affiliate link)

Lastly, I reviewed Red Cliff (part 1) (fantastic cast including Tony Leung and Takeshi Kaneshiro) a couple of months ago in the reviews thread, but if you haven't seen the film and are a fan of the books or genre, it is well worth the effort. Part 2 is due early in the new year.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1183437

Review

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details...?ProductID=8860

(not an affiliate link)

Whats Infernal Affairs like? I've got it at home on the to watch shelf [along with 30 others] but have watched it yet. Pretty keen to see what people thought of it.

Whats Infernal Affairs like? I've got it at home on the to watch shelf [along with 30 others] but have watched it yet. Pretty keen to see what people thought of it.

Brilliant. Much better than the hollywood butchering of it. Great story and great acting. Pull it off the shelf and watch it. You won't regret it.

OH man... you gotta get it off the shelf and watch it NOW! One of the best movies around...

Brilliant. Much better than the hollywood butchering of it. Great story and great acting. Pull it off the shelf and watch it. You won't regret it.

Absolutely... Far more intense, better acting and... I could say more but don't want to spoill it for anyone who haven't seen it.

ps. Finally got my copy of Mad Detective, will be watching it this weekend and will let you know what I think.

Edited by Katsu

When are they going to release Casshern on Blu-ray ? This visually stunning film surely deserves a Hi-Def transfer - hope we get the Japanese version though ...

When are they going to release Casshern on Blu-ray ? This visually stunning film surely deserves a Hi-Def transfer - hope we get the Japanese version though ...

I think Germany got a release (sans english subs :()......:unsure: I'm pretty sure at least one Country go it. Same with the Banquet, was release in a non English speaking country with no english subs. That one would look sublime.

If you are looking for solid ambient surrounds (not bass demos), try Breaking News and PTU from Hong Kong.

I'm still waiting for the PTU Blu-ray boxset, think Johnnie To's done about 4 or 5 Tactical Unit films now, even though the original is still probably the best one, notwithstanding it's all about finding a missing gun in Tsim Sha Tsui :unsure:

Speaking of JT, Macau has never looked better in Exiled ... wonder if they will release his earlier hit The Mission on Blu-ray soon ?