petetherock

Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

562 posts in this topic

13 Hours.   The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 

Now here is a good movie. Based on a true story. Made very well and definitely worth a look.

i knew before I watched it that no way could they have filmed it in Libya so I knew I wouldn't see any places I had been, but I still wanted to see how and where it was made.

l had made 75 trips into Libya over a 20 year period, worked 6 weeks on, 6 off, spent most of the time in the desert but worked a fair bit in the office and workshop in Benghazi. So getting back to the film, it was done very well but I never saw a Vespa scooter or a Suzuki motorcycle in Benghazi.

I did recognise a couple of places in Malta, where most of the filming was done so I was happy with that. We use to fly into Malta, get a visa and fly onto Benghazi, but then had to overnight in Malta to get visa. Then it started to take a few days to get visa, the Libyan embassy doesn't move very fast. 

But all in all a very good film, director Michael Bay, done a good job and the special features disc is worth a look to see the effort that went into making it true to the actual advent. Apart from the Suzuki bike, you just didn't see motor bikes in Libya, just as well as they are crazy drivers, apart from going round a roundabout in the wrong direction, you have to give way to people coming onto the roundabout...

So enjoy the movie, it has atmos soundtrack for all you lucky atmos people....

The Night Manager

Been up late watching this. John Le Carre's novel translates well into a mini-series, and this because the casting is spot on, and it's no wonder that Hiddleston is being considered as a potential Bond. 

Tight script, good acting, great chemistry and there's actual decent location shots, which shows that there was some money put into this, which is unlike most UK productions. But like many good UK shows, it's not the explosions and big sets that make it good, it's all about the acting and story.

Recommended. 

Skiptrace movie review:

Jackie Chan is famous for his slapstick comedy roles that is peppered with nonstop action. Think Project A, Police Story, and you will recall a series of movies with breathtaking stunts, amazing choreography of action mixed with humor reminiscent of Charlie Chaplin. Now I won't put Skiptrace in the same league, but it harks back to his heyday and it's nice to see him back for one more rodeo. 

For the uninitiated, this movie goes at a breakneck pace, and I wish I could watch it in Mandarin and English, just to see the difference. Think of the plot as secondary to the whole buddy scene, and it's a throw back to the Rush Hour franchise, and the plot is a mash of Midnight Run with Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Johnny Knoxville makes a good counterfoil to JC, and they traverse China together, in a funny travel-doco way, that invites you to laugh with or at them, marvel at the various sites and relive some of the old Jackie's action magic.

Don't let the Rotten Tomatoes rating deter you, IMO, this is worth a rental at least or a keeper.

The BR disc itself has superb video quality, and the surround effects are solid, with great use of the surrounds. Not a lot of bass, but an involving experience, nonetheless.  

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - movie review

The first instalment was not bad, like a good beef stew, it was a quiet boiler, working it's way slowing through and only reaching it's full taste near the end.
It was tiring watching the second instalment..
It felt like Forrest Gump Part II
Quite simply, it was a running movie: "From that day onwards, if I was going anywhere, I was running!"

Tom Cruise didn't perform to his usual best, and look like he was dialling it in. I also made the mistake of reading the book first, so all the nuances, the thoughts in his mind were lost.

Here was a movie that didn't know if it was a straightforward actioner, a whodunit thriller or a bit of comedy.

Jack needs to solve a paternity suit, free a prisoner, and absolve himself of crime once again. Cobie Sumlders doesn't smoulder too much here, she also look old and tired here, and there isn't a real chemistry between them. No couple on the run feel. In fact Robert De Niro and buddy feel more 'couply' in Midnight Run and Eddie Murphy & Nick Nolte also had more love between them than these two.

Plenty of action and explosions, so those looking for a bit of demo material for their HT systems won't feel too aggrieved, but my opinion is similar to the title: Never Go Back.
Rent or buy only when on sale.

2.5/5 

I checked out LOGAN last night.

Really enjoyed it. Summed it up with Brutal, Sad, Fitting. 4/5

Logan Movie Review

Logan is a nice homage to fans of the Jackman Wolverine, a franchise which has been with us for more than a decade. It is also different enough from the regular X Men movies that one should approach it with an open mind.

It's a dystopian world that Logan now lives in, no shiny suits, his body is finally wearing down from age, and shows the signs of aging, wounds heal much slower and he just feels like an old man. Something that perhaps some of us and also fans who began following his movies can relate to.

He protects Prof X, and in the midst of his rather pathetic and miserable existence, a new mutant pops up, and it's not just any mutant, but one with the same powers he has, and is, (spoiler alert) - his daughter.

So they take a road trip together and look for a place called Eden, and through the trip, they need to be one step ahead of some bad people who want them dead, her captured and they also have to bond, with Prof X as the grandfather figure.

It's a lot darker, gritty, with a lot more swearing - can't believe the smut that comes out of Prof X mouth.. all this is meant to show that it's no normal X Men episode, and yet, there's a bit of Road Trip meet Father Bonding meets Midnight Run.

None of the it is unique in itself, but having a undertone of X Men in such a setting makes it special and Hugh Jackman gets to spread his acting chops, alongside more esteemed thespians like Patrick Stewart, and the new girl Dafne Keen is neither overawed or out of her league in this present company. She grimaces, cries and glares her way into our hearts and can hold her head high that she added a much needed extra dimension to the show.

You get nice vignettes from other classics, such as Johnny Cash songs, a cowboy movie Shane, and in the midst of this, yes you still get action and some humor. Not in the usual over the top style you may see in the typical superhero movie, and action fans may find it a little slow, with nary an explosion or blood letting for much of the middle chapter of the show.

Instead it's more of a slow burner, with the character development and the relationship between the three taking centre stage, alongside the displays of angst and hints of the demons within the two male leads.

The end is a tribute to Shane, to Hugh, and lays to rest a certain franchise with grace, dignity and the respect accorded to a superhero who has slashed, gnarled and healed his way into our hearts for almost 17 years.

Farewell Hugh Logan. 

On 23/02/2017 at 4:44 PM, petetherock said:
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - movie review

Tom Cruise didn't perform to his usual best, and look like he was dialling it in. 

Agreed. Its like in the Reacher mythology, he's this real bad arse that everyone respects and fears. Tom Cruise seems to prance around projecting absolutely non of that yet still saying the lines that suggest he is.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Watched this last night... great film making here, goes through the full range of emotions. Sad... but enlightening.

96670_large.jpg

Strangely refreshing to have this in B & W.

JSmith :ninja:

Summer Wars Review

How can one place Summer Wars?

Think of a movie that allows elements of a hacking nerd vs a huge virus, with a sprinkling of romance and plenty of a motley family naturally imbibed with lots of quirks. I guess that you have elements of  The Royal Tenenbaums mixed with some Ghost in the Shell to make one of the finest anime ever made, I kid not. 

When I first bought the disc, I figured I had acquired some disc on summer battles ala the bloody classroom brawls found in Battle Royale, but I guess I should have done more homework first. Yet, I emerged from watching it with a great warm feeling, that my time was well spent.

Highly recommended.