Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Edge

Topfield 5000PVRT & Portable USB Device

38 posts in this topic

I have just unpacked and installed my new Topfield 500PVRT, and I am now in the process of getting acquainted with it's features. I have also ordered an MX-500 universal remote to go with it thanks to the reports from this site.

OK so my question is can you use a portable USB storage device to transfer firmware upgrades and TAP's to the STB from the PC?

unfortunatley my search string didn't return any hits hence the reason I am asking what I presume to be a very basic question with hopefully a positive answer. If it is I will go out and buy one of these with 32MB of storage solely for this purpose.

My computer is approx 12 meters away from the STB so I am not sure if I could actually cable that far. The next step will be to set-up a wireless router and add a wirless USB adaptor to the back of the STB and hopefully transfer my recordings to the PC that way.

TIA

The STB is not a PC, it is a client (I am not sure of the proper terminology for USB here, someone will jump in and correct), meaning it MUST connect to a PC to be useful (it is like a USB printer I suppose in that respect).

Look at the connector, it is the same as what is on USB printers etc, and these things can't hook up to USB routers, or USB media sticks etc.

I am running a 5M and a 3M extension cable, and achieve the maximum USB2.0 speed the Toppy is capable of of 20Megabit/s (I tried 3metres to see if it would be any faster and it is not).

Regards

Thanks for the prompt reply tonymy01. If your running a cable at 8 metres I might be able to get away with it joing 3 cables together to give me the length I need. I will need to look into how they are joined together.

My PC is a very antiquated PII450 so I am not expecting on being able to do much as far as archiving the *.rec files from the Toppy. Unfortunatley she who must be obeyed wasn't impressed with my latest purchase so a new PC could be long time coming :blink:

As long as I can transfer the TAP's to the Toppy I will be happy enough.

EDIT.

Just found this over at Harris Technologies which is used to extend the 5M limit for USB devices. You can add upto 5 of them together to give you a reach of upto 25 metres.

http://ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:D5339#Tof

You may find it cheaper and easier to shift the Toppy to the computer now and then....first of all to update the Firmware...at the same time load all TAPs...I have made many firmware changes and Tap loads, and shift the Toppy each time.

To do the Firmware update you have to turn the Toppy off and time settings are lost when you turn off anyway....that is all you lose...unless you reset....USB1 works fine.

Of course if you plan on doing developing, then do the USB thing....in my situation, I could not add a cable and feel safe, with dogs likely to trip or pull the cord so I did not bother...guess I could have just plugged the USB in each time, but decided it was not worth getting a cable just for that....also I don't transfer and fiddle with Toppy files, so if you plan on doing that...thats another story....I can burn to a standalone DVD recorder if I want to.

Your other 1/2 will love the time management and ad free ability of the Toppy, using 30 sec advance...mine won't watch TV without it these days....It's the first gadget she has ever approved of.

I guess you are talking USB1 adaptors because you don't have USB2

foss

Just found this over at Harris Technologies which is used to extend the 5M limit for USB devices. You can add upto 5 of them together to give you a reach of upto 25 metres.

Expensive to do 5 of them... also, you quoted the wrong part number, you want http://ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:L3209#Tof as this is USB2 (D5339 is USB1 by the looks of it).

It may be worth getting one of these, as I reckon my 8metres is stretching it without a repeater.

You may find it cheaper and easier to shift the Toppy to the computer now and then....first of all to update the Firmware...at the same time load all TAPs...I have made many firmware changes and Tap loads, and shift the Toppy each time.

To do the Firmware update you have to turn the Toppy off and time settings are lost when you turn off anyway....that is all you lose...unless you reset....USB1 works fine.

I guess I was just been lazy. :blink:

Your other 1/2 will love the time management and ad free ability of the Toppy, using 30 sec advance...mine won't watch TV without it these days....It's the first gadget she has ever approved of.

I sure hope so as she isn't talking to me at present and she hasn't even asked how much I spent, I guess I will just have to keep the receipt well hidden. :P

Expensive to do 5 of them... also, you quoted the wrong part number, you want  http://ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:L3209#Tof  as this is USB2 (D5339 is USB1 by the looks of it).

It may be worth getting one of these, as I reckon my 8metres is stretching it without a repeater.

The 2 USB ports on my PC are only 1.1 so that is why I went for that cable.

I am not sure if I am able to use a USB2 cable and it will only transfer at the 1.1 speeds, does anybody know?

Expensive to do 5 of them... also, you quoted the wrong part number, you want  http://ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:L3209#Tof  as this is USB2 (D5339 is USB1 by the looks of it).

The 2 USB ports on my PC are only 1.1 so that is why I went for that cable.

I am not sure if I am able to use a USB2 cable and it will only transfer at the 1.1 speeds, does anybody know?

USB2 is backwards compat to USB1, don't limit yourself for the small gain that USB2 will get you (probably only 8-10megabit/s sustained throughput with USB1, USB2 with the Toppy is twice as fast), in case you end up with a USB2 PC one day (for only a few $ difference in the cable extender too).

Regards

Thanks guys USB 2 it is then.

EDIT:

Am I right in thinking that the USB connector in the back of the Toppy is classified as a female connection, a small square plug instead of the usual flat plug which plugs directly into the back of the PC into the USB port??

I still think the ideal solution would be to go wireless using something like this

http://ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:L2608#Tof

I am looking at getting a similar bridge for my XBOX so I don't have to keep running the cable through the house to stream movies from my PC.

Having a 9 month old who thinks it's great fun to pull and chew the Cat 5 cable has made me look for other solutions and spoil his enjoyment. I think he wants to be a sparkie when he grows up, or a plumber as he also seems to like the toilet brush.

I bought USB2 cable from DSE and ran fine on USB1.1 speeds.

In theory USB2 cables are downward compatiable with USB1.1

either way has been fne for me....

USB2 to Toppy Via USB1 cable,

USB1 to Toppy via USB2 cable, and

USB1 to Toppy via USB1 cable

The USB1 cable ran at USB2 speeds over a 2 meter distance when going from USB2 to the Toppy's USB2

foss

either way has been fne for me....

USB2 to Toppy Via USB1 cable,

USB1 to Toppy via USB2 cable, and

USB1 to Toppy via USB1 cable

The USB1 cable ran at USB2 speeds over a 2 meter distance when going from USB2 to the Toppy's USB2

Yep, when it is just a cable, anything will do USB2 at short distances and the pedestrian speed of the Toppy USB2 port, but ACTIVE USB1 cables with extenders will not pass USB2 through.

Am I right in thinking that the USB connector in the back of the Toppy is classified as a female connection, a small square plug instead of the usual flat plug which plugs directly into the back of the PC into the USB port??

I still think the ideal solution would be to go wireless using something like this

http://ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:L2608#Tof

As I said up there somewhere, these USB wireless things are HOST based only, not peripheral based, and so will only take a PC (it would be like trying to plug a printer into one of them, it wouldn't work).

My PC is a very antiquated PII450 so I am not expecting on being able to do much as far as archiving the *.rec files from the Toppy. Unfortunatley she who must be obeyed wasn't impressed with my latest purchase so a new PC could be long time coming :blink:

As long as I can transfer the TAP's to the Toppy I will be happy enough.

EDIT.

Make sure your OS can handle files bigger than 4GB. Win98 can't.

hornblower

Make sure your OS can handle files bigger than 4GB. Win98 can't.

hornblower

I am using XP Pro so I shouldn't have any problems there with file size.

Speed on the other hand could be an issue. I want to archive the Ten MotoGP broadcasts which could go for upto 2 hours. So I might have to just keep these stored on the Toppy until I get around to upgrading the PC.

Mind you there is an average of 3 weeks between races so I might get away with being able to re-encode them in that time, I just won't be able to do anything else on the PC for those 3 weeks whilst it chuggs along processing the file. :blink:

Not totally true.

Its not *just* about your OS its the way your filesystem is formated.

fat on xp = max file size of 2gb

fat42 on xp = max file size of 4gb

ntfs on xp = file size limited to size of hd.

for more information have a look here

Not totally true.

Its not *just* about your OS its the way your filesystem is formated.

fat on xp = max file size of 2gb

fat42 on xp = max file size of 4gb

ntfs on xp = file size limited to size of hd.

for more information have a look here

Thanks Koops, your correct.

All my disks are are formatted as NTFS.

My major concern is the CPU and handling the load. I have converted movies from AVI to MPEG2 (I think that was the scenario, it's been a while I converted them to SVCD to play in my DVD player) before and they took hours to do and only minutes to burn.

Needless to say once I got my XBOX modded it was Divx and Xvid all the way baby :blink:

Hi all,

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this matter as i currently have a Teac ITV-D500 which allows the connection of USB memory keys, printers, wireless adapters etc.

I'm interested in upgrading to a Toppy, but wanted to know more about its USB connectivity.

Above someone mentioned attaching a USB wireless dongle.

Does this actually work? Does the Toppy know how to communicate over a wireless connection. Other option is attaching a USB to ethernet port.. would that work?

Also want to know if its possible to play back and record onto Video or DVD via the scart port or SVHS port?

What about downloading the digital image via USB to a Digital video camera?????

Above someone mentioned attaching a USB wireless dongle.

Does this actually work?  Does the Toppy know how to communicate over a wireless connection.  Other option is attaching a USB to ethernet port.. would that work?

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...indpost&p=51631

Also want to know if its possible to play back and record onto Video or DVD via the scart port or SVHS port?

Yep, like any STB.

What about downloading the digital image via USB to a Digital video camera?????

No, only ALTAIR.exe, a windows application, will pull out .REC files from the Toppy, which can be demuxed with projectX and manipulated like with PCI capture cards recordings.

Regards

Thanks for the prompt reply tonymy01. If your running a cable at 8 metres I might be able to get away with it joing 3 cables together to give me the length I need.

I think you will find most of these cable repeaters are USB1.1 and you need abox for about $200US for USB2. In any event 3 or 4 cables gets up to $200 anyway.

I also have the pC some 28m away - so I unplug and carry!

Needless to say once I got my XBOX modded it was Divx and Xvid all the way baby :blink:

Do you transfer the divx & xvid files to the DVD disk in ISO format or some other way?

I too have a modded xbox.

Do you transfer the divx & xvid files to the DVD disk in ISO format or some other way?

I too have a modded xbox.

No I run it through a Cat5 cable to my PC, where I have my music and video shares set-up SMB with WinXP. All my videos remain on the PC as either MPEG or AVI files and I use XBOX Media Centre (XBMC) to play them. The latest stable version, not a CVS release, is very very good and well worth the download. I haven't used XBOX Media Player (XBMP) for nearly 6 months and with each release of XBMC the stability and features improve.

I have some 250 mucis albums all with cover art dispayed and you can even control the whole Media Centre from your PC using a web interface.

Check out http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/ for more information.

If you would like more info send me a PM and I will try to help as best I can.

Hi,

A possible solution is using this beaut USB extender (I'm using this at home at the moment ... to have the PC up to 50m away from the box).

It is only usb 1.1, but if you just set it downloading at the end of a night, all is done in the morning .. easy!

http://store.mgram.com.au/pdfs/PDS11666.PDF

It works on the basis that the box at the other end is simply a usb device of some description, and as far as the PC is concerned it is directly connected ... except the CAT5/UTP cable can be up to 50m long.

this isn't ethernet ... it has to be a direct CAT5 patch through cable ... but in my house (i have three cat5 runs from the PC to the HT ... one for xbox, one for Toppy, and one for PC control from the HT ...)

the way i'm setup at the moment, i can pull out the wireless keyboard, from the loungeroom, fire up the PC at the other end of the house, and start downloading from the toppy ... all without moving from the armchair! (with significant helf from my Pronto as well!)

Jamie

Hi,

A possible solution is using this beaut USB extender (I'm using this at home at the moment ... to have the PC up to 50m away from the box).

It is only usb 1.1, but if you just set it downloading at the end of a night, all is done in the morning .. easy!

http://store.mgram.com.au/pdfs/PDS11666.PDF

It works on the basis that the box at the other end is simply a usb device of some description, and as far as the PC is concerned it is directly connected ... except the CAT5/UTP cable can be up to 50m long.

this isn't ethernet ... it has to be a direct CAT5 patch through cable ... but in my house (i have three cat5 runs from the PC to the HT ... one for xbox, one for Toppy, and one for PC control from the HT ...)

the way i'm setup at the moment, i can pull out the wireless keyboard, from the loungeroom, fire up the PC at the other end of the house, and start downloading from the toppy ... all without moving from the armchair! (with significant helf from my Pronto as well!)

Jamie

Wow! Thanks for the tip jamiep.

Just one question when you refer to the cable as being "direct Cat5 patch through cable", what do you mean?

I have a 12 metre Cat5 cable which I use connect to the XBOX, it is the standard blue Cat 5 cable, is this the same the cable you refer to?

Cheers