Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
byron

ProjectX demux from .rec

96 posts in this topic

Just mucking with ProjectX and found I could directly demux a .rec, instead of converting to a .PVA first. And it plays in Media Player classic etc and open it in MPEG2SCHNITT.

Is this a bad idea? Do I need to convert to .PVA first? Anyone done this?

Thanks

Byron

The convert to PVA first was only to stop a PVAStrumento bug, demuxing is definitely the best for sure (as it breaks it down into elementary streams which are far better to be used for DVD authoring packages, cutting packages etc).

But I found after downloading mplayerc last night that the synch between video and audio becomes **way** out after watching something for 10mins. If you move things along with the timeline bar, it is even worse. I don't have the same problem playing back a raw ".rec" with various progs (I don't always have success playing raw .rec files, I am guessing that only ones that don't have AC3 audio in them can be played raw. But when the raw .recs do play, even with WMPClassic, there is no prob with audio synch).

Regards

Tony,

I have always done a .rec to .pva and then demuxed before cutting, and creating a DVD. I though the conversion to .PVA did something magical in converting TS to PS, I would have thought a straigh demux wouldn't do this?

I always have sync issues in MPC and others, which is never evident once made into a DVD on HDD or DVD-R.

B

I have always done a .rec to .pva and then demuxed before cutting, and creating a DVD. I though the conversion to .PVA did something magical in converting TS to PS, I would have thought a straigh demux wouldn't do this?

I always have sync issues in MPC and others, which is never evident once made into a DVD on HDD or DVD-R.

Well, as you have observed, ProjectX has no problems with dealing with the .rec directly. PVAStrumento *sometimes* bombed out with .recs, and it was the general consensus to convert to PVA, then re-open the PVA and convert to ES for PVAStrumento, but I have never had any probs with ProjectX finding all the ES in the .rec and saving them to disc.

I am glad someone else has the sync issues when MPC "muxes M2V & MPA on the fly" too! I complained that it was crap on the "Toppy recording of HD" thread and got "Interesting that you find MPC sucks - I actually like it" from the same person that complained about audio synch probs....

Regards

Well, as you have observed, ProjectX has no problems with dealing with the .rec directly. PVAStrumento *sometimes* bombed out with .recs, and it was the general consensus to convert to PVA, then re-open the PVA and convert to ES for PVAStrumento, but I have never had any probs with ProjectX finding all the ES in the .rec and saving them to disc.

I am glad someone else has the sync issues when MPC "muxes M2V & MPA on the fly" too! I complained that it was crap on the "Toppy recording of HD" thread and got "Interesting that you find MPC sucks - I actually like it" from the same person that complained about audio synch probs....

Regards

Thanks Tony,

I gave up on PVAstrumento as it was too flakey. ProjectX has been very stable, and apart from no batch facility (which I solve by running multiple instances), it works well. The .rec to demux is gonna save some serious time.

MPC is good generally, however it can't handle the aspect ratio on my notebook properly, and loses sync when doing on the fly muxing. It however plays just about everything.

The mux on the fly is worse on slower machines. Fortunately I just do a quick sound synch check and then use IFOedit to make a DVD and DVDshrink to make one of a burnable size.

It's all good!

B

I've also found projectx much easier and stable.

I've only done a few smaller episodes to dvd so far but the results have been fantastic.

Using mpegschnitt really shows how screwed up some of the channels are with their ad distribution though. On channel 7 there was a couple of instances where the ad's were ONLY 3 minutes apart! YES! 3+mins of ad's 3 mins of the show then another 3+ mins of ad's!

I'm not sure why people seem to prefer mplayer classic. In general I find mplayer2 with the correct codec's to be more stable. mpc always seems to crash within about 1 min of almost anything I try and play.

I've only done a few smaller episodes to dvd so far but the results have been fantastic.

Using mpegschnitt really shows how screwed up some of the channels are with their ad distribution though. On channel 7 there was a couple of instances where the ad's were ONLY 3 minutes apart! YES! 3+mins of ad's 3 mins of the show then another 3+ mins of ad's!

Is there a brief guide on how to use MPEG2Schnitt? I have tried an failed to use it twice now (normally when something requires a little intuition I can suss it out after two or 3 attempts, but have failed miserably on this snipping prog).

Basically, my idea of a snipping program is: move the timeline to the point you want to cut, start the cut point, move it to the end of the ads, end the cut point, repeat for multiple ads, saved sliced result as a single file.

I got confused with the "outs" and "ins" (there are 2 of them on the one screen), and when I go to save the results, it seems to save what I assumed was the cut *out* bits rather than the good bits... (hmm, typing this message, I have to wonder whether "out" means "chuck it out" and "in" means keep it in?

Is there a brief guide on how to use MPEG2Schnitt? I have tried an failed to use it twice now (normally when something requires a little intuition I can suss it out after two or 3 attempts, but have failed miserably on this snipping prog).

Basically, my idea of a snipping program is: move the timeline to the point you want to cut, start the cut point, move it to the end of the ads, end the cut point, repeat for multiple ads, saved sliced result as a single file.

I got confused with the "outs" and "ins" (there are 2 of them on the one screen), and when I go to save the results, it seems to save what I assumed was the cut *out* bits rather than the good bits... (hmm, typing this message, I have to wonder whether "out" means "chuck it out" and "in" means keep it in?

Hi Tony,

MPEG2SCHNITT works fine.

Basically the in and the out are set for the bits you want to keep not cut.

ie you move to the start of the film, using the slider, and then press the IN button the bottom left to get an IN frame. Then press the "IN" button the right hand bottom to save it.

Then slide to the last part of the bit you want, and follow the same method and capture the out point. Then press NEW and the cut is save in the list on the right of the screen.

You then do this for every bit of the film (and boy do I really really REALLY hate ads), and then you have a whole bunch of cuts which you save by pressing the CUT button to a location of your choice.

The one TRICK is that I find I have to do a tiny cut as my first cut of one "IN" to the next "OUT" first (less than a second, but whatever the proggy lets me do). I then start my next cut at the next "IN". If I don't do this the sound is all out of sync.

I have done ~60 programs this way and it all works very very well.

B

I'm not sure why people seem to prefer mplayer classic. In general I find mplayer2 with the correct codec's to be more stable. mpc always seems to crash within about 1 min of almost anything I try and play.

I have no issues with MPC. WMP2 won't play demuxed files I've found.

B

Tony, the way the in and outs work I think is like this. I'm not 100% sure on the terminology tho.

The left IN button move to the previous "I" frame.

The right IN button moves to the next "I" frame.

Why do you start with an I frame?

The reason so do this is so that the mpeg2 video gets cut as the correct position so not to enter the video stream 1/2 way through. MPEG2 consists of I,B and P frames. As the I frames contain an entire scene it is better to start with an I frame otherwise you can get weird ghost like results (if the decoder even processes this information).

I think the left OUT button moves to the last "P" frame just before an "I" frame.

The right OUT button moves to the next "P" frame that is directly followed by an I frame.

its fairly easy when you just remember the reason why your pressing the keys.

Try MPEGVCR. It's as easy as sucking eggs. :blink:

Looks interesting, Wolf,

Downloaded the evals, with an eye to purchase.

Is this an Australian product? If so do you know more about "womble".

Cheers

JB

John I use it for all my MPG-editing and never had any problems. No, I don’t belief it’s Australian. Before you buy e-mail me.

John I use it for all my MPG-editing and never had any problems. No, I don’t belief it’s Australian. Before you buy e-mail me.

I'm being dumb but I can't get past the PSN verifications screen!!!!

DOH!

What am I doing wrong?

B

DOH!

What am I doing wrong?

B

Have you pasted in the evaluation activation code?

You gotta fill out the form on the website and they immediately send you a 30 day activation code.

It all worked fine for me.

Cheers

JB

DOH!

What am I doing wrong?

B

Have you pasted in the evaluation activation code?

You gotta fill out the form on the website and they immediately send you a 30 day activation code.

It all worked fine for me.

Cheers

JB

DOH!!!

Got it, now all I gotta do is convince it to open the demuxed audio fle as well as the video, which it doesn't seem keen on doing?

B

Gebrauchsanweisung for MPEG-VCR

First of all, you can edit REC-files and after you cut out the add’s save them as MPG’s 1-2 That’s the greatest benefit apart from ease of use. Saves a lot of stuffing around.

This is to start the ball rolling.

(All blue keys and the row of tools beneath the image window are numbered for this purpose from the left in this explanation.)

Scrawl to the beginning of film using the mouse, then finetune with left-right key on keyboard. Click No7 blue arrow-left and cut with scissor No3.

At the beginning of an add click No6 blue arrow-right.

At the end of add click No7 blue arrow-left and cut with scissor No3.

At the end of film do the same as removing an add.

In order to save click that little cushion next to the camera and select the formate.

This is a process that works for editing REC’s and MPEG’s.

O jea!!!!! If you go: File/Open MPEG movie..., REC-files are not in the vocabulary. Select ‘All(*.*)

Another thing: saving the file into MPG takes only 4 Minutes/Hour.

Another-nother thing: saving the file as a TS-file in the hope to stick it back into the Toppy won’t work, so don’t waste your time.

Audio separation can not be done as far as I know. Use another tool for that.

Hope that gets you started. :blink:

Sorry, it is!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Coool, Might have to buy that sucker, frame level editing and no need to ProjectX demux, Woooohooo that's a lot of time saved.

B

I noticed a problem today and that is, a file I cut in the Toppy and downloaded to the PC was not recognised by any tools I’ve thrown at it. You know those situations where one has to record 2 films, one after the other but is only interested in one. I wonder if the Toppy adds a string to the file after cutting it that prevents any of my tools recognising it. If that is the case, download sessions will be even more of a pain.

Perhaps you guys can keep a watering eye on it. :blink:

Hi Wolf,

I just can't seem to get MPEG-VCR to open a .rec file. I Select ‘All(*.*) and click on the .rec file but it refuses to open the file. Any ideas ? I am using V3.14 BTW.

Thanks

Fletch

Wolf, do you have Dolby Digital audio your way in the files you have manipulated? I find I can open .rec files with no projectX manipulation only if they don't have two audio tracks muxed into them (so MPEG and AC3/Dolby). If they only have MPEG, they seem to be happy to be opened in WMPC, zplayer etc (well, for me at least).

I noticed a problem today and that is, a file I cut in the Toppy and downloaded to the PC was not recognised by any tools I’ve thrown at it. You know those situations where one has to record 2 films, one after the other but is only interested in one. I wonder if the Toppy adds a string to the file after cutting it that prevents any of my tools recognising it. If that is the case, download sessions will be even more of a pain.

Perhaps you guys can keep a watering eye on it. :blink:

Wolf,

I've seen this. Cutting on the toppy and then trying to convert/edit it can be almost impossible sometimes. For these I Project X to PVA , then Demux and then chop off a small chunk from the beginning of the file and that sometimes fixes it.

if you intend to copy/edit and make into a DVD don't cut on the toppy.

B

Wolf, do you have Dolby Digital audio your way in the files you have manipulated? I find I can open .rec files with no projectX manipulation only if they don't have two audio tracks muxed into them (so MPEG and AC3/Dolby). If they only have MPEG, they seem to be happy to be opened in WMPC, zplayer etc (well, for me at least).

Good point. I've tried this, but suspect to be true. In which case you'll need to projectX and demuxed the .REC and then remux the audio stream you want in a .MPG and then edit in MPEGVCR.

B