Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Submariner

Sony Dvpns76h

202 posts in this topic

Yeah, that's my fault, the panel is actually a PFM42X1.

The "N" variant doesn't have a DVI input.

I originally thought I had the "N" because of what was printed on the manual, but as I have more than 1 input, that's not me.

thanks anyway. this has me stumped. I rang sony and they said I could exchange it for the lesser progressive player and take the cash difference, so that's the plan.

it seems a shame. from what I understand that panel sold well and I thought someone would have come across it by now.

Matt

You were getting a signal through at 576p weren't you? If so it may be worth keeping the player for the HDMI - DVI digital connection alone. Also this player has excellent de-interlacing.

You were getting a signal through at 576p weren't you? If so it may be worth keeping the player for the HDMI - DVI digital connection alone. Also this player has excellent de-interlacing.

Jimbo, I took the player back and swapped down for the lesser sony, so I still got good de-interlacing, just with the component outputs. that's fine as the STB looks better on the HDMI>DVI input on the panel.

plus I've got $100 back in my pocket, to put towards my receiver!

The reaction of the sales person at sony gave me the impression that HDCP compatability issues with earlier panels was quite well known, but perhaps not freely discussed within sony....

what's dissappointing is that, when I get a HDMI switching receiver, I'll still be in the same boat i.e. I won't get an upscaled picture from my DVD player.

oh well. the 576p looks fine until HD/BluRay settles down.

Matthew

Yeah, that's my fault, the panel is actually a PFM42X1.

The "N" variant doesn't have a DVI input.

I originally thought I had the "N" because of what was printed on the manual, but as I have more than 1 input, that's not me.

thanks anyway. this has me stumped. I rang sony and they said I could exchange it for the lesser progressive player and take the cash difference, so that's the plan.

it seems a shame. from what I understand that panel sold well and I thought someone would have come across it by now.

Matt

I'd bet you that your so called HDCP compliant connection ...... isn't so HDCP compliant.

And if thats the case HDDVD/BluRay won't work on your panel either.

If I were you I'd be planning a new panel that accepts HD material through HDMI.

I'd bet you that your so called HDCP compliant connection ...... isn't so HDCP compliant.

And if thats the case HDDVD/BluRay won't work on your panel either.

If I were you I'd be planning a new panel that accepts HD material through HDMI.

I'm stuck with it a while yet, I only bought it 2 months ago. they were running them out cheap.

and now we know why...

MP

I am looking at any advise of what would be the best picture quality of DVD playback

dedicated HDMI upsampling DVD player like the Sony DVP-NS76H

or a hyrbrid dvd/dvd recorder/HDD unit like the

Panasonic DMR-EX75/85 / Hitachi DVDS163A/DV-DS253A

Both these units have HDMI upsampling as well as hard drive/dvd recorder etc.

Which one has the best PQ on DVD playback.

My Hitachi plasma has HDMI inputs and can accept 1080i and I have the Sony DVP-NS76H at home now. It looks great, but need to decide with 14 days on whether I want to keep it or change to a pany/hitachi combo.

Just wondering if I got say the Pany, whether I would loose any PQ on dvd playback, whiel gaining a hard drive and dvd burner - and additional cost of course!.

cheers

I am looking at any advise of what would be the best picture quality of DVD playback

dedicated HDMI upsampling DVD player like the Sony DVP-NS76H

or a hyrbrid dvd/dvd recorder/HDD unit like the

Panasonic DMR-EX75/85 / Hitachi DVDS163A/DV-DS253A

Both these units have HDMI upsampling as well as hard drive/dvd recorder etc.

Which one has the best PQ on DVD playback.

My Hitachi plasma has HDMI inputs and can accept 1080i and I have the Sony DVP-NS76H at home now. It looks great, but need to decide with 14 days on whether I want to keep it or change to a pany/hitachi combo.

Just wondering if I got say the Pany, whether I would loose any PQ on dvd playback, whiel gaining a hard drive and dvd burner - and additional cost of course!.

cheers

I doubt the Panny could match the Sonys de-interlacing performance. It all depends what your really after. If your main priority is PQ then i would keep the Sony. If your more interested in the hard drive and burner then get the Panny. I have a Panny DVD recorder, but use the Sony as a stand-alone player for dedicated movie watching. The best of both worlds. :blink:

I doubt the Panny could match the Sonys de-interlacing performance. It all depends what your really after. If your main priority is PQ then i would keep the Sony. If your more interested in the hard drive and burner then get the Panny. I have a Panny DVD recorder, but use the Sony as a stand-alone player for dedicated movie watching. The best of both worlds. :blink:

Thanks for that. PQ on playback is what Iam looking for. I have two HDMI inputs with one on the Sony PVR and the other on the Sony DVD player. If the pany was as good as the Sony, getting the pany with its HDMI was an interesting option. If I ever get the pany I can use one of the component inputs.

The Sony DVD player has an amazing set of functions and excellent PQ for a $200 player.

I just picked one of these Sony DVP-NS76H DVD players up from Harvey N. Preston.

Nice player, HOWEVER, someone has slipped up when changing the region, or lack thereof. :blink:

I've discovered it only plays region 2 discs. Any DVD I have that is region 4 only will not play and comes up with the region incompat. message.

Other DVD's like Disney stuff (which is region 2 and 4) plays fine, but heaps of DVD's such as Grease, Donnie Darko, Fifth Element and Amelie (plus lots more I have) which are region 4 only will not co-operate, as will any other region (ie. Region 1).

Region 'All' discs also play fine, as do home burned discs.

I'll ring Sony tomorrow and see if they have a fix for me. I know about remote hacks such as THIS, but I don't have a OneForAll remote to do it with.

Bit of a pain in the arse, but just in case there is a batch of them like this I wanted to make everyone aware. :D

I'm looking for an affordable DVD player with HDMI out. It sounds like this Sony unit provides great PQ for the money, but what's the audio quality like? I'll be using it as my CD player as well as for DVDs, so I want something that is going to be good for both. I was also considering the Yamaha DVS-5950S. Does anybody have any experience with this model?

Also, I'm interested to get other peoples thoughts on how they run their setup if they're using their DVD player to play CDs also. Are you just running digital out for both, or analogue into a different input when you play a CD? Whatever I get will be running into my Denon AVR-1801 receiver, but I'm just not sure what is the best way to get the best sound when I'm playing CDs. At the moment I've just got a Samsung DVD-R130 that I'm using for CD and DVD playback, so I've only connected it up by coaxial digital into the DVD input on the Denon, because the Denon's D/A converters would surely be better than the Samsung. If I get a DVD player with better sound quality though, I'm not too sure which is the best way to go about it; coaxial into the Denon for both DVD and CD, or coax for DVD and analogue for CD?

Any advice or input would be appreciated

I'm looking for an affordable DVD player with HDMI out. It sounds like this Sony unit provides great PQ for the money, but what's the audio quality like? I'll be using it as my CD player as well as for DVDs, so I want something that is going to be good for both. I was also considering the Yamaha DVS-5950S. Does anybody have any experience with this model?

Also, I'm interested to get other peoples thoughts on how they run their setup if they're using their DVD player to play CDs also. Are you just running digital out for both, or analogue into a different input when you play a CD? Whatever I get will be running into my Denon AVR-1801 receiver, but I'm just not sure what is the best way to get the best sound when I'm playing CDs. At the moment I've just got a Samsung DVD-R130 that I'm using for CD and DVD playback, so I've only connected it up by coaxial digital into the DVD input on the Denon, because the Denon's D/A converters would surely be better than the Samsung. If I get a DVD player with better sound quality though, I'm not too sure which is the best way to go about it; coaxial into the Denon for both DVD and CD, or coax for DVD and analogue for CD?

Any advice or input would be appreciated

I just use coaxial for both DVD and CD and i'm happy with the results. The PQ is great, but if your after top notch audio you should probably check out sony's higher end models.

I bought one of these today,set up using hdmi for pic and audio,demo on a few dvds showed great detail and colour,its out-puting 1080i,sound seems improved also, have not tried cds yet,i think this is want i needed to improve my veiwing of standard dvd after watching blu-ray,great machine for the money.

Region troubles fixed. Unit was replaced by HN without issue and the new one plays all regions. Sweet.

All in all, a very nice player. Not using HDMI yet as I'm waiting for my ebay order, but the component progressive is excellent as it is.

BTW, I'm using optical for all audio and cannot fault it.

Region troubles fixed. Unit was replaced by HN without issue and the new one plays all regions. Sweet.

All in all, a very nice player. Not using HDMI yet as I'm waiting for my ebay order, but the component progressive is excellent as it is.

BTW, I'm using optical for all audio and cannot fault it.

Good to hear,does that mean they ARE all region players and yours was faulty or did your player come without the hack?

Good to hear,does that mean they ARE all region players and yours was faulty or did your player come without the hack?

Mine bought region free from HN, so I'd assume all should be.

Sony Aus QA had apparently not performed the hack correctly on the particular box I got first, which I deducted was still R2 only.

The HN tech guy (who was very helpful) tried to de-region it himself but did not have the correct OFA remote, so he just gave me another box, which I tested in store with some R4 and R1 discs.

This model is supposed to be completely region free in Aus, unofficially and undocumented of course. :blink:

Sony Aus QA had apparently not performed the hack correctly on the particular box I got first, which I deducted was still R2 only.

The HN tech guy (who was very helpful) tried to de-region it himself but did not have the correct OFA remote, so he just gave me another box, which I tested in store with some R4 and R1 discs.

This model is supposed to be completely region free in Aus, unofficially and undocumented of course. :D

Cool,might have to import standard dvds from amazon as well as blu-ray :blink:

Hi,

I've read a good deal of this thread, and I know that my question was asked a while back, but I'd just like to get further verification on the following: Does this player have PAL progressive scan? The Sony site says that it just does progressive for NTSC. Someone said that it does do PAL progressive - I'd like to check on that.

On a more basic level (and pardon my ignorance), what would we be missing out on if this player doesn't do PAL progressive? how much better is 576p than 576i? And do such differences matter on a player like this that does upscaling?

Hi,

I've read a good deal of this thread, and I know that my question was asked a while back, but I'd just like to get further verification on the following: Does this player have PAL progressive scan? The Sony site says that it just does progressive for NTSC. Someone said that it does do PAL progressive - I'd like to check on that.

On a more basic level (and pardon my ignorance), what would we be missing out on if this player doesn't do PAL progressive? how much better is 576p than 576i? And do such differences matter on a player like this that does upscaling?

Sony have another model which is about $140 that is progressive. This model has upscaling and progressive. Using HDMI both the progressive and upscaling lights glow so I guess it uses both??

If you have a HD compatible screen I believe this model is the one to buy. SD screen buy the progressive only

Thanks - I have a new Sony Bravia 32" LCD in the V series - so I'd definitely want to go for the HDMI upscaling DVD player. I was just kind of wondering if the lack of PAL progressive in the specs is an issue - does this mean that you don't get 576p via a non-HDMI connection?

Thanks - I have a new Sony Bravia 32" LCD in the V series - so I'd definitely want to go for the HDMI upscaling DVD player. I was just kind of wondering if the lack of PAL progressive in the specs is an issue - does this mean that you don't get 576p via a non-HDMI connection?

I just had a look at the user manual and it has both progressive and upsampling. Using the HDMI it auto upsamples. Using non HDMI you can select progressive at any time. I guess progressive is not in the specs as if you have a HD compatible TV you will upsample to 576p or 720p or 1080i depending on your TV. No need for progressive then

for the price it is excellent

cheers

I HAS got PAL progressive ...ignore the manual

Hey everybody,

I am supposedto be buying NS76H soon, but 1st have few questions:

1] will it pair well with samsung ? ( i have 32" R7 bordeux LCS )

2] Does it play all copied DVDs properly, without problems?

3] HACK: Whats the hacking code to make it region free? Can it be done with supplied remote ? - I dont have an PDA/Laptop so thts outta....

Hey everybody,

I am supposedto be buying NS76H soon, but 1st have few questions:

1] will it pair well with samsung ? ( i have 32" R7 bordeux LCS )

2] Does it play all copied DVDs properly, without problems?

3] HACK: Whats the hacking code to make it region free? Can it be done with supplied remote ? - I dont have an PDA/Laptop so thts outta....

Should be good with a Samsung. I have had no problems with copied discs as of yet.

They all come region free out of the box.

hi, just want to ask if the NS76H comes in black? thanks

Unfortunatly, no