Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keygar

Teac Lcd Brilliant

586 posts in this topic

Some info on the price of the Teac 42" LCD.

Sticker price of $2999 at Retravision. I was quoted $2800 for cash after asking.

Hi Guys

i am currently waiting for my 4235a to be delivered into store...

im in perth and i paid $2995 from good guys! i nearly had to have a fight with one sales guy who was telling i didnt know what i was talking about.. i wouldnt mind if its was suggesting i didnt know what i was talking about but he just told me straight....

that was until he called the Teac Rep and was told everything i just told him... maybe another factor in getting the good price... maybe the cheapest so far on the west side? anyway it bodes well for anyone else on getting a good deal!

i'll let you knwo how it goes...

Thanks

Steve

by the way... if im outputting via dvi... and i use a dvi to hdmi cable... what input do i use for the audio? is it the VGA audio connection?

Thanks

Steve

Regarding my previous post. TEAC have contacted me and reported have a firmware upgrade for my LCD4235 that will reportedly allow 1:1 pixel matching at 1920 x 1080 via the HDMI interface. Unfortunatly TEAC insist on taking the TV back to base to perform the software flash so I'll be without it for two days. I'll let you know how it goes and if it makes a difference (ie if its worth getting done if you own a TEAC LCD4235). I look forward to using MCE in true 1080p60 soon.

Regarding my previus post. TEAC have contacted me and reported have a firmware upgrade for my LCD4235 that will reportedly allow 1:1 pixel matching at 1920 x 1080 via the HDMI interface. Unfortunatly TEAC insist on taking the TV back to base to perform the software flash so I'll be without it for two days. I'll let you know how it goes and if it makes a difference (ie if its worth getting done if you own a TEAC LCD4235). I look forward to using MCE in true 1080p60 soon.

Great. I and many others here will be keen to hear how you go.

By the way, which would you say looks better for on-screen text clarity:

your current 1808x1016 scaled via HDMI; or 1080P60 via VGA cable?

Cheers,

Jocko

Great. I and many others here will be keen to hear how you go.

By the way, which would you say looks better for on-screen text clarity:

your current 1808x1016 scaled via HDMI; or 1080P60 via VGA cable?

Cheers,

Jocko

Oddly enough, 1808 x 1016 via HDMI...

Can both its component ports accept 1080p signal?

I dont know as I have not had a need to use them. If I have time, I'll RTFM and see.

Well, thanks to this thread I decided on the TEAC 32" LCD (3233A), and I have to say I LOVE IT! What a great display. True I have nothing to compare it to other than the 68cm Hitachi CRT I replaced, but in seeing it in store (well, actually seeing the 26" in store) it stacked up so damn well against the other screens, that at its price I just HAD to buy it :blink: .

So, I bought it via Ringwood JB HiFi (Victoria) for $1325 ex display. Ex display as that's all that was available, and that was one I had to get from JB Nunawading (just down the road from the Ringwood one), as they were the only one to have a unit within cooey (Geelong had two actually in stock). The price they would have done for new, in box was $1350. But I figured i) I get the tv now, ii) It's been run in, so I know there are no dead pixels, and iii) it still comes with the full 3 year warranty ... how could I not?

I mean, damn, a set that looks this good (physically and performance wise) for that money AND with a 3 year, on site warranty... that's a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

A very happy camper am I.

BTW. Using it with Pioneer DVD player via Component, Mediastar SD PVR via SVHS, and Media PC via VGA running at 1360x768 (as close as I could get to the native 1366x768). I will switch the PVR over to Component also if there is a notable difference when I get around to trying it using my one set of component cables. There was a notable difference in the quality from the DVD player as Component is the only way it ouputs Progressive Scan.

Any idea what the firmware number is? i should get mine this week so i can check if this 'new shipment' teac are meant to be having in are the new version....

Thanks

Steve

Well, thanks to this thread I decided on the TEAC 32" LCD (3233A), and I have to say I LOVE IT! What a great display. True I have nothing to compare it to other than the 68cm Hitachi CRT I replaced, but in seeing it in store (well, actually seeing the 26" in store) it stacked up so damn well against the other screens, that at its price I just HAD to buy it :blink: .

So, I bought it via Ringwood JB HiFi (Victoria) for $1325 ex display. Ex display as that's all that was available, and that was one I had to get from JB Nunawading (just down the road from the Ringwood one), as they were the only one to have a unit within cooey (Geelong had two actually in stock). The price they would have done for new, in box was $1350. But I figured i) I get the tv now, ii) It's been run in, so I know there are no dead pixels, and iii) it still comes with the full 3 year warranty ... how could I not?

I mean, damn, a set that looks this good (physically and performance wise) for that money AND with a 3 year, on site warranty... that's a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

A very happy camper am I.

BTW. Using it with Pioneer DVD player via Component, Mediastar SD PVR via SVHS, and Media PC via VGA running at 1360x768 (as close as I could get to the native 1366x768). I will switch the PVR over to Component also if there is a notable difference when I get around to trying it using my one set of component cables. There was a notable difference in the quality from the DVD player as Component is the only way it ouputs Progressive Scan.

Good one! Im of the same opinion about my 42" TEAC LCD at present. I did heaps of research on all the current and up-coming makes, models and specs and was surprised to find that TEAC came out ahead of many premium brands on spec and performance. And yesthe 3 year warranty is great. Just this morning a TEAC van pulled up to my house to take my set away for a firmware update. With any luck, I'll have 1:1 pixel matching hia HDMI by this time tomorrow:)

Any idea what the firmware number is? i should get mine this week so i can check if this 'new shipment' teac are meant to be having in are the new version....

Thanks

Steve

See post 118, page 6 of this thread for my current FW. TEAC picked up my TV this morning to flash it. Apparently they cant do it on site - Hmmmmm... Luckily the WA TEAC service centre is only a couple of kays away so I should have the LCD back very shortly. I'll let you know what the new FW version is as soon as I can (assuming I can still get into the factory menu in the same way).

I've been promised big things in this new FW so fingers crossed it delivers. To be continued...

Been following this thread and the experience people on here are reporting on the teac 4235A. We almost purchased a 37" Teac a while ago ($1999.00 marked price), but I have just noticed that Teac have a 3735A listed that appears to be the same spec wise as the 4235A. Does anyone on here know the rrp for this set?

We purchased a "cheap" magnavox 32" lcd the other day, but it's going back, Xbox 360 over component in hd is a no go. I think from memory that the 360 uses 60Hz as standard so obviously the Magnavox is 50Hz only on it's hd component input.

Depending on what we decide to end up spending it may be a 32" Teac or the 37" - especially if it performs as well as you guys are reporting. I like the idea of 1920x1080 for future proofing (to an extent), and if I decide to run it later via a HTPC then it's ready for it. I must admit that when we have viewed them 32" - 42", they appear to offer images not to far behind some of the 'better' sets like some Sony lcd's etc.

Does anyone know if the component inputs can accept a 1080P input?

Andy-Roo, looking forward to hearing how the firmware goes, if it is as good as promised and the 37" can perform, or performs the same, then I think I'm in. As much as we like the Sony's etc, with all the other expenses we (as most people) have - then I like the idea of saving up to a couple of grand for other things.

Andy

i meant the new firmware and as you havent got it back i guess you cant tell me! good to know that the WA service centre isnt far away... where abouts is it as im currently in Kinross. i dont have the tv yet but it should be arriving this week from a new batch.. i just want to make sure it can do 1:1 with as little hassle as possible as i will be using it almost exclusively with a htpc....

Thanks

Steve

Andy

i meant the new firmware and as you havent got it back i guess you cant tell me! good to know that the WA service centre isnt far away... where abouts is it as im currently in Kinross. i dont have the tv yet but it should be arriving this week from a new batch.. i just want to make sure it can do 1:1 with as little hassle as possible as i will be using it almost exclusively with a htpc....

Thanks

Steve

Belmont.... A fair way from South Geralton... I mean Kinros... :blink:

"Passports! Get your passport ready please!"

Belmont.... A fair way from South Geralton... I mean Kinros... :blink:

"Passports! Get your passport ready please!"

Ha ha Very funny....

Belmont hmmm..... i dont think is too far... i've only been here for 6 weeks... another bloody pomme!

well if they come and pick it up in a van... well they are very welcome if it doesnt have the new firmware! keep us posted as to how it works... are you on dvi to hdmi? (i cant remember if you said)

Thanks

Steve

Ha ha Very funny....

Belmont hmmm..... i dont think is too far... i've only been here for 6 weeks... another bloody pomme!

well if they come and pick it up in a van... well they are very welcome if it doesnt have the new firmware! keep us posted as to how it works... are you on dvi to hdmi? (i cant remember if you said)

Thanks

Steve

Ah, yes. Another one chasing the beach lifestyle;) You know it was meant to be a punishment to be sent here from Blighty dont you?... English migrant cliche's aside, TEAC should be able to pick up from there NP... Guv'na.

Yes, I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable to connect my HTPC to the TV.

After you guys so nicely pointed out how to get to the service menu (hold down the 'source' button), I'm now intrigued as to all those lovely options in there. Does anyone have doco on what they all mean? I was tempted to fiddle, but after trying a couple of things (switching back and forth and seeing no difference that I could notice) I left it with a bit of bamboozlement.

Oh, and last night I tried my first 'real' bit of HD content on the panel, an NVideo PureVideo showreel.

My god it looked good. So crisp, so rich.

Have I mentioned that I'm happy with this panel? :blink:

The VGA port on the other hand, not only allows complete 1080p/60 without overscan, the TV set itself allows for full horizontal and vertical adjustment (is this really needed as it doesnt overscan anyway via VGA?). It looks sensational but why would you want to connect a TV, capable of receiving digital picture signals to a computer also capable of sending digital data signals via a crappy old VGA connection? I can truthfully say that this TV would be one of the best, if not the best TV of its size (regardless of cost) in Australia at present if it wasn't for the f#@*ing HDMI overscan! Instead, I can only give it a 7/10 and so it fades into the crowd.

Isn't HDMI primarily a "TV" video interface, rather than a computer interface? If so, it would make sense to overscan on HDMI but not on VGA. That being said, it would be useful to have the ability to adjust overscan right down to zero.

As far as I know HDMI was designed as a TV interface, but, since it interoperates easily with DVI, it's the best way to connect a PC - all things being equal it should output a better image than VGA since you're not doing digital --> analogue --> digital conversion on the image.

Isn't HDMI primarily a "TV" video interface, rather than a computer interface? If so, it would make sense to overscan on HDMI but not on VGA. That being said, it would be useful to have the ability to adjust overscan right down to zero.

I may have misunderstood (it happens to me regularly) but the issue surely is not which interface should overscan but why any interface to a non CRT display device overscans. Never mind that one interface acts differently to another. As every pixel in an LCD can be manipulated by sending a current to a precise point of the display via an x half and y half circuit, what could possibly be the need for overscan on an LCD or Plasma panel? There are other threads on this forum that deal with overscan in much clearer terminology than I could but with my laymans understanding of the topic, I suggest overscan is more a function of legacy TV display status quo and hap-hazard LCD/Plasma panel sizes rather than any technological physical limitation. The odd thing is, this TV is an LCD panel and has a standard HD TV resolution of 1920x1080 so the reason for overscan is...

Sorry lost my train of thought. TEAC just rang me to say they have completed the firmware upgrade on my LCD4235A and want to drop it off to me so I'm going to duck off now. I'll post with the outcome of the upgrade shortly.

IT WORKS! IT WORKS! - 1:1 pixel matching @ 1920 x 1080 p60 on TEAC LCD4235A

TEAC just dropped my LCD4235A 42" LCD TV off after upgrading the firmware and guess what... It is now pixel perfect (full 1:1 pixel matching) at 1080p via the HDMI interface at both 50 and 60 Hz. The difference is quite profound.

New firmware version number is: 4-PC218-0.0.7-57-061010-3.0.15

Of firmware version number is: 4-PC218-0.0.7-57-060712-3.0.8

- Get yours while it's hot!

So unless Im not mistaken, this LCD display is currently the only 42" LCD in Australia currently capable of displaying 1080p60 in 1:1 for around A$3000 or less. . . Who would have thought it would be a TEAC!

I'd better give credit where it is due too. Whilst initially slow, TEAC's support and service was excellent. They, picked up the set, dropped it off again and were very professional and polite. Well done TEAC! Keep this up and you will certainly give the likes of Sony and Panasonic something to worry about.

IT WORKS! IT WORKS!

Man... that was my excuse for not getting one! Now how am I going to convince myself not to buy one?

Seriously though - great job on hassling Teac and getting it done. Says a lot for Teac as a company too.