Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koops

Topfield 5000 PVRT Links-Minifaq

222 posts in this topic

Nope - can't see the Korean web site either.

I'll give the router tables 24hrs to update, then try again.

V.

V.

Hmm, your isp must be having some serious issues.

Try http://66.232.143.153 this is the main Topfield Korea and I am guessing your DNS is stuffed rather than your routing tables.

V.

Hmm, your isp must be having some serious issues.

Try http://66.232.143.153 this is the main Topfield Korea and I am guessing your DNS is stuffed rather than your routing tables.

Thanks Tony, that worked.

Works fine for me, I downloaded and put in my TAP folder

My TAPS

Maybe your ISP has cached it incorrectly?

Regards

Thanks, Tony. I now have the he zip file from your site and it extracts OK.

I am very keen on buying a Toppy soon and after reading the manual I hoping one of you current happy owners could help me out with a few queries (not that a non-favourable answer would phase me at this stage … it’s that I’m very curious) …

1) Is there a limit to the number of preset recordings?

2) What happens when the HD is full?

3) Is there an ‘auto-renew’ feature (eg Panasonic HD Record)? This enables overriding previous records of the same preset (eg The News).

4) Can the Toppy record directly to a folder (ie Friends) or does it go to a general bucket?

5) Is there a 30 seconds (or like) skip button? The bookmark section mentioned something about this!

6) Can external video files be copied to the HD?

7) What if my VCR does not have scart, will a converter be OK?

Thanks,

Sammy

I am very keen on buying a Toppy soon and after reading the manual I hoping one of you current happy owners could help me out with a few queries (not that a non-favorable answer would phase me at this stage … it’s that I’m very curious) …

3) Is there an ‘auto-renew’ feature (eg Panasonic HD Record)?  This enables overriding previous records of the same preset (eg The News).

4) Can the Toppy record directly to a folder (IE Friends) or does it go to a general bucket?

5) Is there a 30 seconds (or like) skip button?  The bookmark section mentioned something about this!

Thanks,

Sammy

I am very keen on buying a Toppy soon and after reading the manual I hoping one of you current happy owners could help me out with a few queries (not that a non-favorable answer would phase me at this stage … it’s that I’m very curious) …

probably more than you would ever need ...I've forgotten...someone will know

Delete some files or you will get an incomplete recording

3) Is there an ‘auto-renew’ feature (eg Panasonic HD Record)? This enables overriding previous records of the same preset (eg The News).

No

4) Can the Toppy record directly to a folder (IE Friends) or does it go to a general bucket?

No, but a simple button click will shift it to a new folder you can name.

5) Is there a 30 seconds (or like) skip button? The bookmark section mentioned something about this!

Yes, and in timeslip only mode there is a 10 and 20 second back as well as the 30 sec forward.

...the 30 skip is very good, however the 10/20 sec back is missing from the recorded/recording timeslip mode...that is annoying because if you overshoot it is difficult to find the right spot with fast rewind.

Yes, but if they are not Toppy .rec files they won't play...you can load MP3 files and also load JPEG files that will do a slide show (need to load the Slide show tap)while the music is playing.

Is this for pass through???....you should be able to use a converter that has an in/out switch and go from the VCR via RCA or s-video to in on the converter and pass through that way.

someone will have more knowledge than me on all of these points.

foss

Fossil thanks for your reply,

Just adding to my previous post …

From 2) What happens when the HD is full?

Can recordings be sorted in 1) date and 2) name order for easy deletion?

From 3) Is there an ‘auto-renew’ feature (eg Panasonic HD Record)?

Maybe this will a firmware upgrade feature in the future?

From 7) What if my VCR does not have scart, will a converter be OK?

I was thinking for nasty VHS copies for shows my friends have missed, but not needing the time consuming DVD burn. I assume I will be OK in that regard?

AND one final question …

8) Is everybody happy? It seems from this post this is a fantastic value for money unit!

Regards,

Sammy

Yes, they always appear first in date order, but you can easily change to alphabetic.

I can't see this as being needed. Each subsequent recording of a program is named with a '-1', '-2' etc appended to the name making it easy enough to locate older ones and delete them.

I was thinking for nasty VHS copies for shows my friends have missed, but not needing the time consuming DVD burn. I assume I will be OK in that regard?

You have the options of s-video or composite video, or even a UHF channel to record from.

Fossil thanks for your reply,

Just adding to my previous post …

From 2) What happens when the HD is full?

Yes, there is an assignable option to sort re time or Alphabet or size

hmmm...who knows...don't hold your breath on that one....but it's a good idea.maybe as an option for those who need it, but for me...sure as I did that, I would end up recording over what I want/have not watched...I would much rather delete manually...

You can just output from the Toppie via standard yellow white and red RCA connections...to the VCR...it should have those available for input..

AND one final question …

8) Is everybody happy? It seems from this post this is a fantastic value for money unit!

Well...you would never get everyone 100% happy...on another forum someone is complaining about the noise the drive makes...I'm astonished at that complaint (unless something is radically wrong with his unit)...he must be wearing it around his neck...It is impossible to hear it normal TV or other sounds about...The unit as can be bought from suppliers now is as good as you can expect to get...some folks that are troubled by the ch11 12 glitch will need to get it fixed and that will be the end of that problem .There will always be enhancements that can be done...The chief one for me is the 10 second back in recording or recorded file mode.

Regards,

Sammy

Fossil,

For me the idea behind an auto-renew function would be something like recording the daily news (ie no need to keep yesterday’s in this case). It would also fit nicely into my perfect anti-pay TV plan … but the Toppy as it is now is the best unit available (for all the obvious reasons), including not wasting money on an analogue unit for more money (ie panasonic). Of coarse an analogue input would suit those people without a PC for converting analogue files…. Not me :-)

So having got to this stage of the game (I’ve following the Toppy’s progress into Australia for months) gut feel says but it and starting enjoying today.

Thanks again,

Sammy

A Friend of mine has a DVD recorder with an analogue tuner but he can connect other sources to it through the AV plug and record them to DVD.

Does the topfield 5000 pvrt have the ability to accept an analogue signal through av ports and record this to the hard disk? Or is there another version of this model with the capability?

Does the topfield 5000 pvrt have the ability to accept an analogue signal through av ports and record this to the hard disk?  Or is there another version of this model with the capability?

The Topfield unit is a DIGITAL DVB-T transport stream recorder. So no, you can't record anything via any other cable apart from the DVB-T tuners.

You will quickly see that you don't really need to record from analogue sources, as the Topfield has USB2 that enables you to copy the recordings to PC and then create DVDs very easily (mimicking the functionality of a DVD recorder, but with the quality exactly as was broadcasted). Certainly to copy/record a DVD doesn't require a Topfield (just PC rip and burn), and why would you want to copy a video tape, yuk, you can use a cheap $80 AV-In card in a PC to give huge VCD quality.

I suppose the only other source that you may want to record is Foxtel analogue or Foxtel digital, you will have to stick with low quality VCR tape for that, or perhaps wait for Foxtel PVRs, or use that cheap capture card for your PC.

Cheers

I suppose the only other source that you may want to record is Foxtel analogue or Foxtel digital, you will have to stick with low quality VCR tape for that, or perhaps wait for Foxtel PVRs, or use that cheap capture card for your PC.

Cheers

Thanks for your response.

It was foxtel that I was looking at recording (Plus I have a lot of Star Trek TOS tapes I want to convert).

I would have thought an $80 PC capture card would give $80 value when capturing (very little quality).

I actually have a digital tuner in my PC with analogue input (but I think the toppy looks like better value) but when capturing analogue tape the motion is all jerky. I was hoping for a better option.

Speaking of Startrek and all things recordable.

What is the average file size of an hour long episode ?

If I wanted to record an episode of 'Enterprise'

How big is the 42 actual minutes of show going to fill in Megabytes of storage ?

I am considering buying a Toppy here in Perth

Rick Harts selling for $939

HN - $1099

Speaking of Startrek and all things recordable.

What is the average file size of an hour long episode ?

If I wanted to record an episode of 'Enterprise'

How big is the 42 actual minutes of show going to fill in Megabytes of storage ?

Go back to the very first message in this thread, and see the link:

Topfield Recording Bitrates

Well I've bought one and have it setup. I have a few questions that need clarification.

1. In "Getting Started" it mentions Antenna Supply 5v On or Off.

I have a masterhead amp on the antenna. Do I still leave this at off ?

2. How do I select my favorite TV channels when doing a Timer Setting ?

When I go to select a channel it brings up the huge list rather than my shortened favorites list.

3. The RF in & out in the middle of the back is used for what ?

Does this allow you to still use the Toppy with TV's with RF in only, or is it just for switching to analogue TV through the STB.

4. Is the a TAP that jumps straight to the second EPG format ?

I'm really liking this device so far. I've currently looped the antenna 1 out into the antenna 2 in and haven't seemd to have any loss of signal which I was actually expecting as the old Strong used to have a few problems.

I'm still going through all the existing threads (there are a lot) trying to get up to speed.

Thanks for any help.

Craig

I thought this would have been a relevant thread for the information to be accessed in.

The more relevant information in the one thread the better I thought.

Thanks anyway.

I will have a go at answering your questions briefly.

1. In "Getting Started" it mentions Antenna Supply 5v On or Off.

I have a masterhead amp on the antenna. Do I still leave this at off ?

Yes...off

2. How do I select my favorite TV channels when doing a Timer Setting ?

When I go to select a channel it brings up the huge list rather than my shortened favorites list.

No way to reduce that list at the moment, except by removing them entirely...press the OK Key in normal function and delete

3. The RF in & out in the middle of the back is used for what ?

Does this allow you to still use the Toppy with TV's with RF in only, or is it just for switching to analogue TV through the STB.

For RF in on TV's with no other connection...and a passthrough for RF signal.

No, uless someone does a Tap...if it's possible...I think it is the better EPG also

foss

Try this TAP and see if it does what you want.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~glynch/TAP/...eDefaultEPG.zip

I also made this TAP which gives access to the timer setting page by pressing the sleep key. The sleep function is still available by pressing the sleep key again from the timer setting page. It should find the timer page even if you have been using other menus previously.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~glynch/TAP/TimerKey.zip

These are my first attempts at TAP and C programming so no guarantees that they won't have any problems but they appear to work ok. :blink:

Hey Blip...They are 2 great little convenience Taps...well done

they work fine for me so far.

foss

blip,

I was going to ask what was the fastest way to get to the recording table and you've just fixed it as well as fixing my EPG question.

Thanks for the great TAP's.

Craig

I've searched but can't find an answer;

Can I watch one tuner via component and output the other tuner via composite (or any other combination)?

Phill.

There is a very short answer.....NO....there is only one processor for outputing video signal (or whatever you might call it)....so you can't do what you ask....sorry....but it will output that single signal to RF, composite, scart and s-video at the same time.

foss