Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dyson

Topfield TF5000PVRt firmware installation help

19 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble intalling the TF5000PVRt 30 Jan 2004 firmware.

I have the "USB software pack for PVRt", "SignalStrength" & the "TF5000PVRt-Aus-Topfield-Sys_416-2004Jan30.tfd". I even have Timmy's "infodisplay5".

Here is my problem:

I am unable to install these on my home computer because it is running Mac OS 10.3.2 (booo! hiss! Topfield!). Instead I tried to do it on a friend's PC running WindowsXP. We got to number 2 in the instructions:

"Connect your TF5000PVRt via USB cable to your PC and turn it on, your PC will find it as a new device and ask you to install it, if it asks for the driver point it to the TFBulk folder."

A window came up saying something along the lines of the device (the STB) is USB2 and the PC is only capable of the slower USB1. Fine, except it did not give options other than to close the window. It did not "ask for the driver" or to "install" the STB. We tried number 3:

"Once your TF5000PVRt has been installed on your PC put it in standby mode and execute TFDN_USB. The following screen will be displayed:"

which did show up and then we did number 4 & 5:

"4. Select Find and locate the new software (e.g. TF5000PVRt-Topfield-Sys_416-2003Dec08.tfd)

5. Once you find the file select Download, the message will appear “Wait Download”."

Nothing happened.

Do we need to manually install a driver, and if so how? My friend was reluctant to 'experiement' on his PC without some additional info. I have tried contacting Topfield via the 'contact us' page, but I haven't received any response. I've also tried the Topfield 1300 number, but it doesn't seem to be attended outside of work hours.

Also any advice on how others installed the "SignalStrength" & "infodisplay5" would be helpful.

Thanks.

Hmmm..after reading your description I think I might know what to do....after pressing download you need to switch the Toppy off and on again or on again...it should start loading after it says run....wait for the Toppy to count down and then power off...when you restart the Toppy go to setup and do factory reset...you will then have to rescan all stations and reset all configurations like 4:3 and redo all timer recordings...

...The download happens very quickly...

Lets know how you go

foss

PS...I have not worried about taps so I will leave that for someone else...I did do one in late Dec and it was easy enough, but each time you do disk format and maybe factory reset(I forget), the Taps are removed....Im waitng for the final upgrade.

A window came up saying something along the lines of the device (the STB) is USB2 and the PC is only capable of the slower USB1. Fine, except it did not give options other than to close the window. It did not "ask for the driver" or to "install" the STB. We tried number 3:

I think your problem is that you only have USB1 and NOT USB2 therefore it won't work.

My laptop is the same so I used the RS232C connection instead. Then ran the TFD-DOWN.exe to perform the transfer according to the instructions:-

Software download tool for RS232C.

1. Connect your STB and PC with RS232C cable.

(The TXD and RXD pin of RS232C cable should be crossed.)

2. Start this program in your PC.

3. Load the new firmware to this program.

4. Press start icon.

5. Turn on the STB.

6. Do not power off the STB during downloading.

7. If download is completed, the green LED will blink or 'END' will displayed in your front.

It took about 5 minutes - but it worked well.

I then plugged the STB back into the TV and checked the Information menu and instead of Nov'2003 it had 30 Jan 2004 for the latest firmware release.

when you restart the Toppy go to setup and do factory reset...you will then have to rescan all stations and reset all configurations like 4:3 and redo all timer recordings...

Hi Foss,

I didn't do the factory reset. Is it necessary? I don't get the audio dropouts anymore and I get the slightly annoying "red jelly bean" when changing channels now (which others have said happens after to upgrade). Also firmware version in menu is 30-Jan-2004

I'd prefer not to do a factory reset as I have 14 timer recordings at the moment. Entering them all again would be a pain.

Hi....I'm sorry, I don't know if USB1 will work..(apparently not) has anyone else used USB1 successfully.....I have only used USB2...I have a USB2 card for my laptop....got it for my external backup drive.

As far as the instructions for software upgrades goes, here is what came with one of the upgrades below in green.....I would have thought that if you don't do a factory reset after loading the software, the box would still be working on the previous settings....Ive always been told to do a factory reset'.

Maybe not.

does anyone know for sure???It sure would save a lot of time if a reset is not needed.....From what Mantorok is saying, maybe not!...Maybe those instructions were just for the SBS not scanning issue....hmmmm....I will be checking further before I reset again...As Mantorok says, its a real pain redoing everything

Topfield Australia

TF5000PVRt Firmware Upgrade Procedure (USB)

1. Unzip USB software pack for PVRt in a folder on your PC. This will create the following folders:

· TFBulk

· TFDN_USB

· Altair 1.121

2. Connect your TF5000PVRt via USB cable to your PC and turn it on, your PC will find it as a new device and ask you to install it, if it asks for the driver point it to the TFBulk folder.

3. Once your TF5000PVRt has been installed on your PC put it in standby mode and execute TFDN_USB. The following screen will be displayed:

4. Select Find and locate the new software (e.g. TF5000PVRt-Topfield-Sys_416-2003Dec08.tfd)

5. Once you find the file select Download, the message will appear “Wait Download”.

6. Turn the TF5000PVRt “On”. You should see the download progress bar increasing on the screen; the process is completed when the bar reaches 100%.

7. Select Stop and Exit to terminate the program.

8. When the upgrade is complete and you have closed the program wait until the TF5000PVRt displays the word “END” flashing on the LED display and turn your unit off and back on again.

9. Go into the Installation menu and select “Factory Setting” and then re-scan using Channel Search.

Hi....I'm sorry, I don't know if USB1 will work..(apparently not) has anyone else used USB1 successfully.....I have only used USB2...I have a USB2 card for my laptop....got it for my external backup drive.

USB1 works absolutely perfectly. USB2 is fully backwards compat with USB1 (AFAIK).

The original poster, "Dyson"... you could have easily confirmed player conectivity simply by using the Toppy downloader tool (altair_1.121.exe), and you would have seen your 3 folders on the Toppy, confirming that the comms to the PC is all good (and maybe even dropped in my InfoDisplay5 TAP to try it out too). You can then easily perform the upgrade with the TFDN_USB.exe tool knowing in advance that everything has connected successfully without wondering if the PC is even talking to the player.

Actually, I am just testing now from a laptop with no Toppy, and the firmware upgrade tool will tell you pretty quick smart what is happening, mine says "Wait Download" with no connection to the player. The actual upload (from what I can remember from a month or so ago) is fairly quick, one blink and it is uploaded to the player.

Regards

Yes...on thinking about it logically, those instructions came with the SBS update, and was probably related to scanning for SBS, and that may have needed a factory reset...

Thanks for the info....That will save time...well, doing the whole thing really only takes less than 1/2 hour including setting all timer settings...but it is a pain.

foss

That will save time...well, doing the whole thing really only takes less than 1/2 hour including setting all timer settings.

Ah? I think ya doin' somethin' wrong, foss

It take me 60 seconds max to...

start TFDN_USB.exe

find the firmware TDF file

turn the machine off

hit the "Okey Dokey" button

turn the machine on

wait to see "end" on the display

turn the box off and on again

...and the only thing I lose is bugs.

Bruise we are not talking about the same thing....I was refering to setting up the box after factory reset.....including multiple timer settings

Yes thats all it takes to update the software

foss

That will save time...well, doing the whole thing really only takes less than 1/2 hour including setting all timer settings.

Ah? I think ya doin' somethin' wrong, foss

It take me 60 seconds max to...

start TFDN_USB.exe

find the firmware TDF file

turn the machine off

hit the "Okey Dokey" button

turn the machine on

wait to see "end" on the display

turn the box off and on again

...and the only thing I lose is bugs.

Takes less than 5 minutes (using USB1 - not USB2). No rescan or anything else was necessary.

It even comes with free red jelly beans!!

My second attempt at upgrading the firmware has FAILED.

We connect the PVR to a Windows XP PC, a triple warning 'ping' sounds with the following message appearing:

"HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB Hub.

A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB hub.

For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

which we did. Another window appeared saying:

"HI-SPEED USB Device Attached To non-HI-SPEED Hub

The Unknown USB Device is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port.

There are no HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this computer.

Recommendation

The Unknown USB Device will function atr reduced speed. You must add a HI-SPEED host controller to this computer to obtain maximum performance.

(Close button)."

I then launched Altair_1.121 from the USB software pack for PVRt. It would not display anything in the left column. (The PC's content were displayed on the right column though.) No '3 folders on the Toppy' - nothing. Obviously the PC isn't communicating properly with the Topfield PVR at all.

We tried the TFDN_USB program to no avail. "Wait Download" is as far as it goes.

We looked on the microsoft support download pages, but there were no applicable drivers.

The only other suspicion I have is maybe the PC's firewall is preventing this somehow?

This is getting frustrating - and a little embarrassing.

Please help somebody.

...This is getting frustrating - and a little embarrassing.

Please help somebody.

I don't know specifically what the problem with your PC setup/hardware is, but I would suggest you give up on USB (at least for the time being) and attempt the firmware update using the RS232/serial connection instead, as per the following instructions posted by nwalker (above in the thread).

NB: You will need to use "TFD-DOWN.EXE" (rather than the USB version you've tried before) _and_ have a "null modem" (crossover or "Laplink") serial cable to use this.

...My laptop is the same so I used the RS232C connection instead. Then ran the TFD-DOWN.exe to perform the transfer according to the instructions:-

Software download tool for RS232C.

1. Connect your STB and PC with RS232C cable.

(The TXD and RXD pin of RS232C cable should be crossed.)

2. Start this program in your PC.

3. Load the new firmware to this program.

4. Press start icon.

5. Turn on the STB.

6. Do not power off the STB during downloading.

7. If download is completed, the green LED will blink or 'END' will displayed in your front.

ted.h.

We connect the PVR to a Windows XP PC, a triple warning 'ping' sounds with the following message appearing:

"HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB Hub.

This is getting frustrating - and a little embarrassing.

Please help somebody.

You really should attempt to get the driver installed for the Toppy, it sounds to me like you still haven't got it installed.

Don't fret about warnings about wrong USB versions, the transfers can continue at the lowest common demoninator of USB1.

I can't really walk you thru the procedure as once Windows has driver info in it for the Toppy, you can't really remove it (so I can't back out and start from the beginning).

I do suggest putting the .inf and the .sys driver files (the whole lot in the zip package would be best, so you don't forget either) into a directory that you can browse to, then perhaps going into your device manager and seeing if you can see the unknown device or USB device listed, then choose the edit driver function and choose the directory that your drivers are in, and away you go.

You should be able to see windows alter something when the USB cable is plugged in and then the Toppy is switched on, it is a matter of getting to that something and pointing it in the right directory of the drivers.

Finally, you can try the Windows "add new hardware" option, and instead of letting it auto detect (well, try this once), use the "have disk" option, and then browse to the directory where the drivers are unzipped to and then it will install the Toppy this way.

I can't believe out of the 2 or 3 ways that windows allows the addition of new hardware that you couldn't have fluked the driver install from at least one of them, this method is pretty much the same used to install any new piece of hardware in windows. You do quite often get *slightly* different behaviour with USB stuff, and the windows system asking for the drivers may or may not happen if it is happy using a generic driver (I don't think so in our case, but it was some time I installed it now), so give it another red hot go...

Cheers

You really should attempt to get the driver installed for the Toppy, it sounds to me like you still haven't got it installed.

Agreed.

I have Altair opperating sucessfully over a USB1 5m repeater cable.

V.

Dyson, are you SURE your PC has USB2?

Something else to consider...

I'm told USB1 & USB2 cables are the same animal, however,

I've got two particular "USB1" cables which the Toppy doesn't like.

I get the same "non-high-speed" error message. I didn't continue to see if it still worked at USB1 speed.

The same cables works fine on printer, scanner, IrDA, modem & flashdisk (all USB1).

The Toppy is plugged into a self-power USB2 hub, which is plugged into ANOTHER self-power USB2 hub, which is plugged into a cheap & nasty PCI USB2 card in an old 1Ghz PC with USB1 (disabled)

The array of hubs is for room layout reasons, not distance.

The printer & scanner handle the same array with no probs.

The other stuff is only plugged into the initial hub.

PS Anyone know where to get SHORT USB2 cables of 20-30cm?

I had similar problem of being unable to connect via USB. The Altair_1_121 zip file did not contain the required drivers, these I had to obtain by downloading TF-Tools_Jun12.zip.

I suggest that you check that your Altair folder contains Tfbulk.sys, Tfbulk.inf an TfDll.dll.

hornblower

Success at last.

I decided to wait for the latest Aus release (6 April 2004) before my 3rd attempt at installing the firmware on my friend's PC.

It turned out to need the driver installed afterall. Thanks to Tony for the extra Windows intructions which are MISSING from the Topfield firmware install instructions.

I think the instructions which accompany the "USB software pack for PVRt" should now read:

------

1. Unzip USB software pack for PVRt in a folder on your PC. This will create the following folders:

• TFBulk

• TFDN_USB

• Altair 1.121

2. Connect your TF5000PVRt via USB cable to your PC and turn it on, your PC will find it as a new device and ask you to install it, if it asks for the driver point it to the TFBulk folder.

2a. If your PC does not ask for the driver (assuming you have not already installed them with previous firmware updates) use either Windows' "Add/Remove Hardware" or "Device Manager" options to select the unknown USB device listed with a question mark icon, then follow the prompts to choose the directory that your driver is in, and install.

3. Once your TF5000PVRt has been installed on your PC put it in standby mode and execute TFDN_USB. The following screen will be displayed:

(see picture)

4. Select Find and locate the new software (e.g. TF5000PVRt-Topfield-Sys_416-2003Dec08.tfd)

5. Once you find the file select Download, the message will appear “Wait Download”.

6. Turn the TF5000PVRt “On”. You should see the download progress bar increasing on the screen; the process is completed when the bar reaches 100%.

7. Select Stop and Exit to terminate the program.

8. When the upgrade is complete and you have closed the program wait until the TF5000PVRt displays the word “END” flashing on the LED display and turn your unit off and back on again.

------

Topfield's current instructions also go onto to say:

9. Go into the Installation menu and select “Factory Setting” and then re-scan using Channel Search.

However, if you perform this last function all your tv show timer recordings you have previously programmed will be lost, and as it says, you will also have to rescan all your tv channels.

Hence I did not perform this last part of the instructions.

Hi Dyson...glad you have succeeded...when testing I was always asked to reset (and did) to make absolutely sure no remnants of the previous patch remained, however if you have no issues after doing the new patch, just leave it without resetting...that should be fine.

My XP seemed to work things out for itself, however I did let it go looking for the driver itself, and it found it in the TFbulk folder.

Maybe you could place your instructions including the reset option on the new board in a "How to upgrade post"

foss